Before we jump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent

Aug 8, 2012
northern Minnesota
Hey there-

After looking around at the Englanders, Drolets, Napoleons, Timberwolf, we keep coming back to the True North TN19. Mostly because of the size and straight-in loading.

What we like about the True North:
  • Heat output is about what where after - up to 68,000btu
  • Great efficiancy - 82%
  • The dimensions are right for our corner install - roughly 20"w x 24"d
  • Straight-in loading... an absolute must
The things we don't feel real good about:
  • The not-so-great warranty. It's not a real confidence builder - especially considering that PE has much better warranties on their other stoves.
  • The lack of competitive dealers around here for PE.
  • It's a new stove. Not a lot of reviews.
Anyway, before we jump, we want to make sure that we're not overlooking another stove that would be similar and better for us. I'm sure the the TN is not the only stove with that approximate size/shape/output. But we're not sure where to look. Anyone know of any particular stoves that fit into our "likes" and has a better warranty?

Thanks again.

We have a PE dealer and they think this stove is phenominal...they've had this stove up to 1100 degrees and no problems! It looks like a stout little stove to me.

Reactions: BigDogYooper
What we like about the True North:
  • Heat output is about what where after - up to 68,000btu
Ignore this. It means nothing in terms of what you can expect from the stove.

• Great efficiancy - 82%

This is another useless stat that offers little to the consumer
  • The dimensions are right for our corner install - roughly 20"w x 24"d
  • Straight-in loading... an absolute must
Knowing what you like and if it will fit in your area are important factors.

The things we don't feel real good about:
  • The not-so-great warranty. It's not a real confidence builder - especially considering that PE has much better warranties on their other stoves.

I have bought five of my six stoves used. I have never wished for a warranty. Fact is, if something truly goes wrong, it will be a pain in the ass no matter the manufacturer.

• The lack of competitive dealers around here for PE.

Buying a stove is not like buying a car. The vast majority of the time the price difference does not fluctuate all that much.

• It's a new stove. Not a lot of reviews.

True, but it isn't exactly using new technology. It's a pretty straight forward stove.

Anyway, before we jump, we want to make sure that we're not overlooking another stove that would be similar and better for us. I'm sure the the TN is not the only stove with that approximate size/shape/output. But we're not sure where to look. Anyone know of any particular stoves that fit into our "likes" and has a better warranty?

Thanks again.

It is about the same size as the PE T5. I'm not sure if it is the same firebox or not, but PE stove generally offer good burn times.

What your climate is like, how big of an area are you heating, and how drafty is your house will be the biggest factors as to whether the stove is a good fit for you.

We have a PE dealer and they think this stove is phenominal...they've had this stove up to 1100 degrees and no problems! It looks like a stout little stove to me.

That's a damn odd way to determine the success of a stove. You can get most steel stoves that hot once and not have a problem. Doesn't mean it's a good stove.

That's not to say the True North isn't a good stove, it's just a poor testimonial from a dealer. Essentially saying "yep, I got the damn thing glowing red and nothing broke." Well, that's nice and all, but that doesn't say anything about the quality or capabilities of the stove.

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
Ignore this. It means nothing in terms of what you can expect from the stove.

This is another useless stat that offers little to the consumer
Knowing what you like and if it will fit in your area are important factors.

I have bought five of my six stoves used. I have never wished for a warranty. Fact is, if something truly goes wrong, it will be a pain in the ass no matter the manufacturer.

Buying a stove is not like buying a car. The vast majority of the time the price difference does not fluctuate all that much.

True, but it isn't exactly using new technology. It's a pretty straight forward stove.

It is about the same size as the PE T5. I'm not sure if it is the same firebox or not, but PE stove generally offer good burn times.

What your climate is like, how big of an area are you heating, and how drafty is your house will be the biggest factors as to whether the stove is a good fit for you.

It is not the same size as a T5.

It is not the same size as a T5.

The T5 has a 1.97 cu ft fire box and the True North has a 1.9 cu ft firebox. That's really, really close to the same size. I wonder if it burns like the T5? Owners have commented that they have gotten 10 hours of heat from the T5.

The T5 has a 1.97 cu ft fire box and the True North has a 1.9 cu ft firebox. That's really, really close to the same size. I wonder if it burns like the T5? Owners have commented that they have gotten 10 hours of heat from the T5.

That's pretty close...sure surprised me.. you wouldn't guess it standing next to each other. I stand corrected.

If you want the longer PE warranty and burns check out the Super 27. Same firebox size, but with the manifold baffle design of the mainline PE 2 cu ft stoves.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
You will find an impression of the True North here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pe-true-north.60306/page-2
There may be more when you search the forum.
The stove seems to be at the smaller end for a midsize stove. My guess would be it could heat maybe up to 1500 sqft of a pretty well insulated house unless you live in Alaska, of course. If you give us a better idea of your location, house size, access to quality wood etc. we may be able to give you better advice.

This would be a second installed stove to heat around 800sqf that the other heat source can't reach. It will be installed in a not-so-well insulated mid-level of an older tri-level home in northern, MN where it gets pretty cold.

Again, we're looking for a straight-in or north/south load about the size and shape of the TN... roughly 20"w x 24"d. So far we can't find anything similar to compare it with.

The 2 cu ft Napoleon 1400/1450, Drolet Escape 1800 and the Lopi 1750 are also comparable with an 18" deep firebox.

Many people here like the Englanders; any reason why you discard the 13-NC? Is it too wide for the space? The firebox is a bit smaller but it should heat 800 sqft. And sorry if I am too nosey but what is so special about a N-S load compared with a W-E? Is it just your size requirements? Since you want a stove that is more deep than wide you will not have a large selection to choose from. I guess the ones mentioned here is all there is. Good luck.

That's a damn odd way to determine the success of a stove. You can get most steel stove that hot once and not have a problem. Doesn't mean it's a good stove.

That's not to say the True North isn't a good stove, it's just a poor testimonial from a dealer. Essentially saying "yep, I got the damn thing glowing red and nothing broke." Well, that's nice and all, but that doesn't say anything about the quality or capabilities of the stove.

Can you honestly say that about yours??? It is not a poor testimony from a dealer. The guy has lived and breathed stoves and fireplaces his whole life. Just retired from the fire dept also as a fire chief. I believe he knows what he's talking about. He said it didn't even glow red. He's been selling and servicing hearths since 1978.

If you look at the true north compared to the Super 27 tho...the top IS thinner.

We want the N/S load because we find it more practical, easier to load that way (we have a PE Summit and load N/S). We also have kids who like to care for the fire and it just seems safer doing a straight-in load. The dimensions also are a factor for the corner install.

I figured that the dimensions (more deep than wide) would be limiting. But I didn't realize how limiting. I would say that we're open to stoves that have a square firebox as well, but we'd like to stay under 24"w (outside dimension) and still handle 16" logs straight in.

Can you honestly say that about yours??? It is not a poor testimony from a dealer. The guy has lived and breathed stoves and fireplaces his whole life. Just retired from the fire dept also as a fire chief. I believe he knows what he's talking about. He said it didn't even glow red. He's been selling and servicing hearths since 1978.

It is a poor testimony. Saying a stove got up to 1,100 degrees once and still works means very little in terms of the quality and capabilities of a stove, especially a steel stove. Like I said; You can get most steel stove that hot and not have a problem. Doesn't mean it's a good stove.

I'm glad that the dealer has had a long and successful career. I just wouldn't hold much value to this particular statement in regards to how well the True North is made.

It's unprofessional because it implies that this is ok to do with the stove. 1100F exceeds the continuous rating of the connector pipe. If after hearing this a homeowner thought this was ok, then there could be serious implications.
It's the same as if this was a car and the dealer said, "I've had it up to 130mph." as a sales boast. The net result of that boast could get someone killed. Do you think the dealer stand behind the warranty for the stove if frequent overfires like this say destroyed the burn tubes? No. It's wreckless bragging, nothing more. The fact that he's an ex-fire chief makes it even more irresponsible.

What's interesting is is the fact that everyone on here always talks about how long we can get a burn...but in essence...with a N-S load...it promotes...shorter burn times.

It's unprofessional because it implies that this is ok to do with the stove. 1100F exceeds the continuous rating of the connector pipe. If after hearing this a homeowner thought this was ok, then there could be serious implications.
It's the same as if this was a car and the dealer said, "I've had it up to 130mph." as a sales boast. The net result of that boast could get someone killed. Do you think the dealer stand behind the warranty for the stove if frequent overfires like this say destroyed the burn tubes? No. It's wreckless bragging, nothing more. The fact that he's an ex-fire chief makes it even more irresponsible.

Well...I can tell you it was not done intentionally... it was also not done by him...it was done by one of the employees of the store. My point is tho...I have a particular stove...if I ever take it to a particular temp and it survives tells me it's a strong stove... I'm not so sure...others can say that. Hopefully I'll never find out.

It tells me one was lucky, this time. Or that the person has a tendency to exaggerate to make a sale.

It tells me one was lucky, this time. Or that the person has a tendency to exaggerate to make a sale.

I liked it better the first time, BG.;)

Well...I don't feel it's for the purpose of making a sale with me cause he just sold me a stove.

Let's get back to the original poster's questions and concerns.

Reactions: fox9988
I have no desire to overfire. It burns the paint off the stove pipe I think. Maybe not, but operating within the normal range continuously generates enough. If not, get a bigger stove or get a 2nd stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.