Before we jump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a poor testimony. Saying a stove got up to 1,100 degrees once and still works means very little in terms of the quality and capabilities of a stove, especially a steel stove. Like I said; You can get most steel stove that hot and not have a problem. Doesn't mean it's a good stove.

That gets me wondering what you would like the dealer to say? Just recite the sales brochure? Because I think it will be impossible for them to run all their stoves through months of continuous operation to see how they perform. Since you have not been there you do not know whether he gave the impression it is ok to get the stove to 1100 or whether he advised against it but still mentioned that I held up to it at least once. I would take it as an evidence that it is not cheap because of inferior materials and shortcuts in manufacturing but would certainly not try to get it so hot on purpose. Especially with a new stove without long-term performance it may be one of the few impressions that you can get and I think still better than none.

Reactions: neumsky
The OP is still looking for his first stove. Lets get this thread in motion to help that.

I figured that the dimensions (more deep than wide) would be limiting. But I didn't realize how limiting. I would say that we're open to stoves that have a square firebox as well, but we'd like to stay under 24"w (outside dimension) and still handle 16" logs straight in.

I'm a bit confused by this. Is the TN a good fit or not?

Ok...I think the true north is a good stove...do I think there is better...yes. But the true north is a good stove.

I don't know enough about different stoves to offer a recommendation. I don't think I would concern myself with a warranty as an overriding factor...I'm sure it could be important, but probably a basic factory warranty would cover the lemons that reveal themselves quickly. The biggest thing is making sure you are happy with burn times, cat / non-cat, and that you have a large enough firebox for what your needs are. You may not even know how easily your home is heated until after your decision. I found myself needing a 2nd stove to heat 100% off wood even though the sizing matched the sq foot requirements. Is your home open, will the heater be centrally located, do you have high ceilings, good insulation and windows. Door way openings and high ceilings made mine a challenge. Think about the physics involved with heat flow and that will help determine what your needs could be.

Read up on here what the stoves are that people like and then look in the used market. Save 50% or more off new.

I've got $3600 into 2 Hearthstones and a Woodstock. Brand new, I'd have spent about $8k +

The OP already has a PE Summit and described (partially) his setup. Considering his requirements the True North seems to be the best "bang-for-the-buck". Now, if he does not mind paying more for getting a better warranty and presumably a better stove I can certainly recommend the PE Super. I have the insert and love it. It should easily fulfill his heating needs and gives burn times ~8 hrs with good wood. Otherwise, finding a stove with less than 24" width but a decent firebox size will be a challenge.

Reactions: firecracker_77
Getting a narrow stove is possible, the Jotul F118CB comes to mind. But getting an inexpensive narrow, deep stove that has enough capacity AND close clearances is stretching it. I think the TN19 will be fine. None of the cons sounded like a big deal.

That TN19 is a decent looking stove - with good size viewing glass. Wonder how well it would do at keeping the glass clean. Otherwise I'm a fan of the N-S burn stoves - possibly because I burn continuously with a typical E-W stove during heating season.

Otherwise I'm a fan of the N-S burn stoves - possibly because I burn continuously with a typical E-W stove during heating season.

I'm interested in burning N/S as well. The 30 will be the first stove, of the six that I have owned, that will allow me to do this.

I think you are going to love the change BB. A big firebox lets you put the wood in any way you want, including diagonally when the split is a bit too long.

Reactions: firecracker_77
A big firebox lets you put the wood in any way you want, including diagonally when the split is a bit too long.

My Defiant will fight you on that notion. :)

Don't get me wrong, it's a big stove and will take some big splits. But it was clearly not made to be a north/south loading stove.

I have never had a front load only stove, either. All of them have been front/top or just a side loader. Also, I've never had a new stove. Hell, never had a steel stove, either. And I've never had a stove delivered to me. I'll be poppin' a lot of cherries this winter with all of these 'firsts.'

Sure has been interesting catching up on this thread. Thanks for all the input. It's helped us think through things better. We're really not interested in a used stove unless it was local... and then it would have to still fit the dimensions/specs that we're looking for. The comments on the warranty also were helpful. The suggestion about the PE Super (27) makes sense. It's got great clearance (4") - not that we need it that close. But it's nice. It's $500+ more though... which I could throw into more wood. Is it worth the extra $ in your opinion?

It has a more robust lifetime baffle system, heavier metal, better air control, full cabinet jacket, and a better warranty. You will have to decide if that's worth it. To put it in perspective, $500 over a 20 yr lifespan is not a big deal.

Sure has been interesting catching up on this thread. Thanks for all the input. It's helped us think through things better. We're really not interested in a used stove unless it was local... and then it would have to still fit the dimensions/specs that we're looking for. The comments on the warranty also were helpful. The suggestion about the PE Super (27) makes sense. It's got great clearance (4") - not that we need it that close. But it's nice. It's $500+ more though... which I could throw into more wood. Is it worth the extra $ in your opinion?

It's a great stove (super 27) as we had the spectrum which is the identical stove with cladding on it. Easy to operate...great drafting...clean door and great adornments if you wish. The problem we had with the spectrum was the porcelain chipping. I would not suggest getting that model albeit very nice looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.