Best approach to taking down this downhill leaner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KenLockett

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2011
Eastern Upstate NY
Guys any suggestions on how to approach taking down this downhill but uphill leaner. I can’t decide whether better to take down down the hill or up the hill. Not sure of its natural tendency.

Attachments

• B7ED32DA-0332-4568-8BC7-CF3821622A38.jpeg
    B7ED32DA-0332-4568-8BC7-CF3821622A38.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 449
Hard to tell from pics what's really going on there...that said I'd take it which ever way it leans assuming there is no other reason it can't go there...but be prepared for it to go anywhere. Sometimes its deceiving which way they are really leaning on a hill.
Not a real big tree, is it?

Plumb bob it with your eye and a weighted string held out in front of you. Like a golfer does for putting on a slope.

it's not a real big tree? find an opening in the canopy (small trees tend to get hung up in the nearby trees crowns,) bore cut and put a wedge in the back to fell it where you want.

Really like Jazzberry tip with a plumb bob. I do that by eye all the time but now I'll have another trick in the bag. I assume your talking about the bigger tree in the center of the picture. I can't see the crown weight. Thats what I try to figure out. When I'm no sure I put a rope and come along on them. Enough tension and they won't pinch the saw.

Reactions: Jazzberry
from the photo, it looks like it would actually go better uphill. you could get it to go downhill as well if you wanted it to, just a slightly wider angle.

Could you drop it to where you are standing? that actually seems like a not so bad option either!