Best Ground Cover for Weed Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gggvan

Dec 6, 2012
I am creating a new area for pollinators and will adding many bushes, plantings, etc, In this area will be a walk through path and maybe a water feature. Rather than just spread mulch around every season, any other ideas both for the path and the planting beds?

composting is a lot of trouble. and i assume it's expensive to buy.

My property is wooded, the yard is cleared 20 to 30 ft around the house. I mulch it every few years, for 20 years, I get truck loads of wood bark mulch from the lumber mill, cheep. Not your fancy mulch, but it lasts. I put it down 6 inches deep. It now requires much less replenishment . Weeds don't grow in it well. Yard looks great and no grass cutting. Only grass cutting is the road frontage drainage ditch.

The landscaper gets it. It is not screened compost, it has small sticks and twigs in it so it basically looks like mulch
Thanks. I ask cause our County Transfer Station offers 10 bags of mulch per visit free (also free into your pickup bed via aa front loader). Comes from roadside windfall picked up by county workers, and from residents dropping off. They grind into hugh streaming piles, turn about three times, and offer about a week or two later. Bags still feel warm.

But it is definitely not compost. Not enough soil to grow anything in. And definitely not heated enough to kill off all the weed and crap like I'd expect in true compost. Free is free though.

I'm also adding in some floating raised beds. This year's wildflower plot was consumed with weeds. I think keeping better track of the soil will help that. I have a lot of ipe deck boards left over from our deck fiasco, contractor had to replace his work.

so, my raised bed is 6' x 3' x 22". should i put a shelf inside and make the soil level ~10-12" or fill it up. Will more soil require less frequent watering?