Best liner for blaze king insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
I have a masonary chimney and will be installing a blaze king princess insert. Do you have any recommendations for the most efficient liner?

I got mine at chimneylinerdepot, great service, good product, good price..thats nice

The most efficient is going to be an insulated liner. Tell us about the chimney. How tall is it? Interior or exterior?

It is approximately 10 feet tall inside and 3 feet outside. All brick with nothing in it.
Is it on an exterior wall of the house?

No it is in between the living room and a mother in law suite. It does extend down into the basement, but not the part I will be using. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355677056.546146.jpg

Yes you need an insulated liner, also a smooth inner wall liner will give you better draft. You can use a smooth wall flex liner or a combo of flex on the bottom and rigid on the top.

That chimney isn't very tall, so i would do everything you could to increase the draft.

Reactions: jeff_t and Todd 2
That chimney isn't very tall, so i would do everything you could to increase the draft.

The BK will need every bit of perfect flue that you can give it. A non-cat wastes so much heat up the flue that you can get away with some things but the BK demands superiority. Insulated, smooth, minimal bends and a free breathing cap. Seal your joints as best you can as well.

Reactions: jeff_t
Are those stockings non-combustible? ;lol A new Princess is gonna look nice there.

Yes, BK flue temps are typically very low. You'll need all the help you can get for draft with a short flue.

im pretty sure your gonna need at least a 15ft minimum chimney, I think all the new EPA stoves require that. I think I have only seen one stove that I have looked at that was an EPA stove that specked a chimney less than 15, at like 13 or 14.

I just got on the roof and measured down the chimney and it is 11 feet. Now I am getting worried because I already ordered and paid for it.

im pretty sure your gonna need at least a 15ft minimum chimney, I think all the new EPA stoves require that. I think I have only seen one stove that I have looked at that was an EPA stove that specked a chimney less than 15, at like 13 or 14.

15' is not a requirement for all stoves, and not for the BK. Not a bad idea but most stoves are spec'd for less than 15. 11 feet is quite short and if you can't get a smooth transition through the damper section of the masonry then it could be trouble.

To the OP, there are ways to extend the chimney's height above the top of your masonry. Not always aesthetically pleasing but you'll need to do this for whatever stove you choose. Masons can add more brick too.

Okay, I just took out the fisher that was slammed in there and found the fire place is a lot bigger than I suspected. It will add about 3 to 4 feet so I should be good. What else I found was pipes to a fan that circulates air around the back of the fireplace. There is no way to get a pipe through them so I imagine I will have to cut these out?????

I do have a liner plumbed down stairs in the basement but I am worried about the heat making it up the stair case to the main level. I guess I could try it and move it if it doesn't work???????

What else I found was pipes to a fan that circulates air around the back of the fireplace. There is no way to get a pipe through them so I imagine I will have to cut these out?????

Yes most likely you will have to cut them. Most times you will have to cut something away in the fireplace damper area to get a liner thru. In your case, make sure you cut away enough to keep the liner round, do not oval the liner. It will reduce the draft some.

Okay, I just took out the fisher that was slammed in there and found the fire place is a lot bigger than I suspected. It will add about 3 to 4 feet so I should be good. What else I found was pipes to a fan that circulates air around the back of the fireplace. There is no way to get a pipe through them so I imagine I will have to cut these out?????
how is the fire place being bigger, give you another 3-4ft of height on your chimney? Or are you talking about area to put the insert in?

Status
Not open for further replies.