Best Location for wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve cherry

Feb 7, 2007
This has probably already been discussed, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. How do you determine the best location for a wood stove (assuming you have more than one possible location to choose from) to ensure adequate air circulation? Our old house was heated with steam radiators. I put a small stove in the LR which caused the thermostat to not turn on which resulted in a warm LR, but the bedrooms upstairs were freezing. Our present house is one level, no basement, only three years old, and has forced air heat. We'll probably only be in this place another 6 1/2 years before I retire and we move, so it may not be economically justified to put a wood stove in in the first place, but I really enjoyed my stove before and miss not having one. My concern is putting a stove in and not being able to circulate the heat. I was thinking that I could set the thermostat on "fan" which would circulate the air in the house, but I don't know if this would be sufficient. Any guidance would be warmly appreciated.

i read somewhere that if your stove is located near a return for your furnance to get a prograble thermostat and use the blower on the furnace to circulate the air

A few tips. Woodstoves are area heaters. Put them in the area that you spend the most time in. If this is in a central location, all the better. A simple fan, on the floor, blowing cold air from the cold area, towards the stove, is often all that is needed to get good circulation going. Thermostats are generally easier to relocate than a woodstove, if need be.

Note: The stove needs to be at least 10 ft from the forced air return.

Moving the thermostat is an easy job. BeGreen is right about moving the air.

Another consideration is where you live on the continent. The more north you live, the more north you should put your stove, if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.