Best place to position stove to install class a ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frugalgirl

Jul 19, 2022
Pa
Hi! I've been reading so many posts, but now am having a hard time deciding what is best. We recently moved into a newer ranch home built 2000. We are starting from scratch add a Mark III coal stove in the basement. It is currently unfinished, but we have plans to finish it out in the next few years, so we want it to eventually heat the basement and main floor.

Our dilemma is where we should place the stove in the basement. We need to add the class a chimney, but I'm having trouble balancing ease of install, functionality of the space , and cost for the chimney pipe needed to accommodate that location. I realize installing it in the center would be simple for the pipe, but it seems difficult to find a suitable spot because of the main floor layout. Would it really cost less to go straight up since it's a ranch? We have an estimate of about 2k for parts if we use a side window well and use a 90degree elbow to the window well and another once we are out the well to go out along side the house.

Also, the main floor layout is a central stairwell from the basement coming up between kitchen and living room. Two bedrooms on one side, master suite on the other side of the main living space.

I want to choose wisely where we install.

Thank you!

Hi! I've been reading so many posts, but now am having a hard time deciding what is best. We recently moved into a newer ranch home built 2000. We are starting from scratch add a Mark III coal stove in the basement. It is currently unfinished, but we have plans to finish it out in the next few years, so we want it to eventually heat the basement and main floor.

Our dilemma is where we should place the stove in the basement. We need to add the class a chimney, but I'm having trouble balancing ease of install, functionality of the space , and cost for the chimney pipe needed to accommodate that location. I realize installing it in the center would be simple for the pipe, but it seems difficult to find a suitable spot because of the main floor layout. Would it really cost less to go straight up since it's a ranch? We have an estimate of about 2k for parts if we use a side window well and use a 90degree elbow to the window well and another once we are out the well to go out along side the house.

Also, the main floor layout is a central stairwell from the basement coming up between kitchen and living room. Two bedrooms on one side, master suite on the other side of the main living space.

I want to choose wisely where we install.

Thank you!
Straight up will absolutely cost less in materials. But it will add some labor cost. Still we typically see straight up installs cost $300 or so less than out the wall. Mainly because you use less chimney pipe and no tee. The tee is very expensive.

Make sure the chimney you get is 316 inner wall for coal use. If it isn't it won't hold up long.