Best pole saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

24vcummns98

Oct 24, 2015
Northern VA
Hey guys need some help. Need to buy a pole saw. I did a little searching but didn't come up with much. It won't be an every day tool but want something nice and reliable.

Thanks so much

Hey guys need some help. Need to buy a pole saw. I did a little searching but didn't come up with much. It won't be an every day tool but want something nice and reliable.

Thanks so much

If it's not going to get much use it makes sense to get a multi-purpose yard tool with interchangeable attachments. That way you only have one motor and one fuel tank to worry about maintaining. I have the Kombi system and it suits my needs perfectly. I'm planning on buying an extension for my pole saw tomorrow (if they have it in stock). I have the KM130 but it has more power than I need so, if I were to do it again I would likely buy the slightly less powerful version (I think it's the KM110) which is slightly lighter and more fuel efficient. I love the 4-mix engine and it takes the same fuel/oil mix I use in my chainsaws.

If it's not going to get much use it makes sense to get a multi-purpose yard tool with interchangeable attachments. That way you only have one motor and one fuel tank to worry about maintaining. I have the Kombi system and it suits my needs perfectly. I'm planning on buying an extension for my pole saw tomorrow (if they have it in stock). I have the KM130 but it has more power than I need so, if I were to do it again I would likely buy the slightly less powerful version (I think it's the KM110) which is slightly lighter and more fuel efficient. I love the 4-mix engine and it takes the same fuel/oil mix I use in my chainsaws.

+1000

Lol, I couldn't have said it better!

Years ago when I needed something for a tall hedge trimming job, I had set out to get a KM110. They only had the KM90 and KM130 in stock, so I bought the KM90 and have not been disappointed. I use the blower attachment most often but I also have the string trimmer, power scythe, articulating hedge trimmer, power pruner (chainsaw), and extension pole. I take care of two large properties and not having to transport multiple engines is a godsend.

In addition to all the plusses you mentioned, it is by far one of the easiest starting engines in my arsenal. Most times it starts on the first pull, and it's an easy pull, at that.

The 4-mix engine it outperforms how it sounds. It has an amazing amount of torque for its displacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
I will say that a dedicated pole saw will often be a tad lighter than a Kombi unit, but it's not an issue for me because I don't saw with it every day. Also Stihl's double shoulder harness does a good job of distributing weight on any pole unit. You'll be able to compare weights in a Stihl showroom.

Note that you can acquire a dedicated pole saw for less $$ than Kombi powerhead alone (attachments are extra), but if you use more than one attachment, the Kombi is a worthwhile investment.

Last edited:
Went with the kombi guys. Thanks for the reccomendation. Went ahead and bought the saw and extendable pole. Got a 4 year warranty if I bought 4 cans of premixed 50-1 ethanol free sthil fuel with purchase (normally warranty is two) so I obliged and did it. Figured 40 bucks in fuel is worth 2 additional years of warranty. I did go with the biggest motor option.

Reactions: TreePointer
Went with the kombi guys. Thanks for the reccomendation. Went ahead and bought the saw and extendable pole. Got a 4 year warranty if I bought 4 cans of premixed 50-1 ethanol free sthil fuel with purchase (normally warranty is two) so I obliged and did it. Figured 40 bucks in fuel is worth 2 additional years of warranty. I did go with the biggest motor option.

Wow, that was quick! I just got in from using the pole saw to prune some Japanese Maples that line the entry to my sidewalk. There were three good sized branches that needed to go. Now I have a nice arched opening to my entry, no ducking, lol! I think I'll clean myself up and see if my local dealer has the extension in stock. I want the lightweight carbon fiber one but imagine they will only have the regular one which will work just fine for occasional use and I'll save a few bucks too.

Here's a tip for the 4-Mix motors. If it gets more difficult to pull the starter cord, that's a sign it needs a valve adjustment. Don't worry, it's dead easy and only takes 5 minutes once you know what you're doing. Buy the Stihl valve adjustment kit (comes with special feeler gauge and spare valve cover gasket). Remove the valve cover and spark plug. I keep using the original gasket and am saving the fresh one for when I need it. Turn the engine until it's at TDC on the power stroke. Slip the feeler under the rocker arm of the intake and turn the nut until there is light drag on the feeler. Repeat for the exhaust. That's it! There is no locknut, just replace the valve cover and plug and you're good to go. Now would be a good time to fine tune the H & L mixture screws.

I just returned from the Stihl dealer with a brand new carbon fiber extension for my Kombi system pole saw. The dealer had both the standard extension and the lightweight carbon fiber extension. I was ready to save $50 and get the standard but when I picked them both up to feel how heavy they were I was shocked. The standard steel extension is a real tank. The CF version is far lighter and felt very rigid. The difference in weight is not trivial!

Just went through this this spring - ended up with a Kombi. I think the 90.

It hasn't been used a whole lot - but I was impressed with its cutting ability.

Years ago when I needed something for a tall hedge trimming job, I had set out to get a KM110. They only had the KM90 and KM130 in stock, so I bought the KM90...
Who are you, and what have you done with TreePointer?

(I own the KM130... of course. I'd own a KM180, if they made it.)

;lol lol!

I thought the Stihl dealer was kidding when he told me I had a high fever and walked into the store wearing only a thin layer of bar oil when I bought it.

How is the KM90 for power with the attachments you run?

Most of the attachments depend upon rpm's to get the job done and, as long as they can maintain those rpm's, more power is only going to help the maniac inside us all that get's that crazy grin when it sounds badass! >>

When I bought the KM130 I simply didn't know it would have such a surplus of power, especially for the line trimmer attachment. I have the blade trimmer attachment and it powers right through small Alders and dreadful Blackberry brambles. I imagine you might notice the lack of power on the KM90 when using the pole saw on larger hardwood branches but, overall, you get nearly all the performance with less weight and fuel consumption.

Some of the branches I cut a month or so ago in the back yard with the KM90 were kinda sizeable - compared to the tiny bar anyway. Sugar maple, and it was almost as wide as the bar was long. Ate right through very impressively. You know how RPMs can drop when your typical saw takes a big bite? This didn't do that - they dropped a little bit, then the thing just grunted right through. Not saying it's a superduper 660 class powerhouse, but it exceeded my expectations.

I threw my shoulder out a bit though - there is a lot of leverage at play with the extension in place & your arms extended too.

It's good to know even the smallest Kombi motor is not underpowered! Now I want one of those too!

My experience with the KM-90 is the same as maple1's. When I first got it, I couldn't resist testing it by cutting some cookies. Coming close to burying the bar in hardwoods can cause an rpm drop, but not frequently and by not much. I've had an occasional rpm drop when cutting some crotches and when it got into a bar pinch, but those same cuts would have caused an rpm drop on conventional saws with an even greater displacement than the KM-90's 28.4cc displacement. I'm convinced (as many others also are) that all the 4-Mix engines create greater low end torque than conventional 2-cycle chainsaws of the same ballpark displacement. No noticeable rpm drop with the hedge trimmer or power scythe. Blower, of course, doesn't take on any load that would slow it.

I do have a Stihl Chisel Tooth Saw Blade but have never used with the KM-90. I do run it on a FS-130 (same engine as the KM-130) that I use as a dedicated string trimmer setup because of its bike handles. It's not recommended, but I've had that blade buried as far as it can go in young tree growth. I learned it will cut as deeply as I push it, but on the deepest cuts it will start to smoke the wood and slow down because there's no lubrication.

Last edited:
Another fellow KM130 owner here. I never really see much discussion on the Kombi system but I'm thrilled with mine, and glad to read other reviews on the other KM powerheads. Having one powerhead for multiple items is convenient, and I like the 4mix engine.

Agreed with previous posts on the KM pole saw; for the occasional user it works fantastic and wish I would've spluged for the carbon fiber extension pole as somebody else had mentioned. The first 'accessory' I bought with the pole saw was the arborist helmet, as this thing has enough power to get greedy with what you're cutting overhead.

As long as we're on the topic, has anyone here actually worn out the bar on their polesaw? I've bent/pinched a couple now, but thats my own fault.

I do have a Stihl Chisel Tooth Saw Blade but have never used with the KM-90. I do run it on a FS-130 (same engine as the KM-130) that I use as a dedicated string trimmer setup because of its bike handles. It's not recommended, but I've had that blade buried as far as it can go in young tree growth. I learned it will cut as deeply as I push it, but on the deepest cuts it will start to smoke the wood and slow down because there's no lubrication.

I'm not following you here. My Kombi pole saw attachment has a built in bar/chain oiler reservoir and it meters oil to the chain based upon rpms. Is there a pole saw attachment without a bar oiler?

I'm not following you here. My Kombi pole saw attachment has a built in bar/chain oiler reservoir and it meters oil to the chain based upon rpms. Is there a pole saw attachment without a bar oiler?

Oops, that wasn't very clear how I wrote that. Everything in the Chisel tooth saw blade paragraph is referring to running the unit as a brush cutter--that is, replacing the string trimmer head assembly with a circular saw blade. The Chisel Tooth Saw Blade is a big improvement over the old standard tooth (scratcher) circular blades in that the outer edge has chainsaw like rakers and teeth cut into it.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/circularchisel/

Last edited:
...and wish I would've spluged for the carbon fiber extension pole as somebody else had mentioned.

I also have the standard extension and it's served me well. My fear is that if I ever feel how light the carbon fiber version is, I just might have to buy it.

Oops, that wasn't very clear how I wrote that. Everything in the Chisel tooth saw blade paragraph is referring to running the unit as a brush cutter--that is, replacing the string trimmer head assembly with a circular saw blade. The Chisel Tooth Saw Blade is a big improvement over the old standard tooth (scratcher) circular blades in that the outer edge has chainsaw like rakers and teeth cut into it.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/circularchisel/

That does look nasty! And that's good!

If you're buying the bed re-definer, which is the primary reason I bought a Kombi, you will be wishing they made something even larger than the KM130. Yes, it's a bit overkill when I have the string trimmer head on it all summer, but when I attach that bed redefiner come spring, it works for everything it's worth.

I also have the standard extension and it's served me well. My fear is that if I ever feel how light the carbon fiber version is, I just might have to buy it.

I probably wouldn't have forked out the extra $$ for the light version except I know how long my Stihl yard tools last. If I'm still alive in 10 or 15 years, I'll be glad I have the light extension.

2 lb. That's noticeably lighter.

What's interesting is their site specifically says "no more than one should be used" for the steel extension shaft, but it does NOT say that for the carbon fiber version. Can we stack 'em? If so, how many?

My manual pole saw has ten (yes TEN) 6' extensions. While I don't expect 50' of reach from a power pole saw, I never understood why they're all so damn short. It's rare I need to trim a branch that's actually within reach of one, which means sweating it out with the old manual pole, which I've really grown to hate.

What's interesting is their site specifically says "no more than one should be used" for the steel extension shaft, but it does NOT say that for the carbon fiber version. Can we stack 'em? If so, how many?

I assume the official line is no more than one. From a practical standpoint, yeah, I'm pretty sure 2 would work fine. Three or more extensions would probably require careful use/handling to avoid over-stressing the pole. And each extension is going to consume some of the available power.

My manual pole saw has ten (yes TEN) 6' extensions. While I don't expect 50' of reach from a power pole saw, I never understood why they're all so damn short.

I've never seen a manual pole saw that could go 60'! I bet that's a real trick to actually use at that height. The power pole saws have the reach most commonly needed to keep branches off normal fences or to create walking headroom on walkways, etc. But, yeah, there's always that branch that is just out of reach and that's probably true no matter how long your pole saw! There's always the throw line and wire saw using a back/forth pulling motion.

Reactions: Ashful
Ah, hadn't even thought of their primary use being around residential walkways and fences. I didn't ever own one until after I'd moved to a more rural property, where my primary interest is trimming dead branches from way up high, before they fall on someone or something.

That manual saw is tough to use at much beyond 42 feet. It's getting so old, I recently snapped one of the extensions at that length, when it fell to the ground after sawing thru a branch.

Reactions: jhon420