Best Smelling Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What’s your favorite smelling, freshly split wood?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Risser09

Jun 26, 2008
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
I was inspired by another thread.

What wood do you love to get a whiff of when it's freshly split?
I really enjoy cherry, right in the dead center of the splits. I cut up a 150 year old sweet cherry tree that was still bearing fruit and it was extremely sweet smelling.

cherry!

Those are regional choices, most of which are not available in my area so I had to choose "Other". I burn Black Ash when I can get it and like the aroma. I've been known to linger in my woodshed just taking it in.

I voted for other-that being Black Birch a.k.a. "Cherry Birch". But Apple rates right up there with it, as does Cherry. And Sassafras is close too!

I'm probably alone in this, but I really enjoy the smell of freshly split black walnut.

It's gotta be eastern red cedar.

polaris said:
It's gotta be eastern red cedar.
I've never split any kind of cedar before, but I bet you are right, knowing what cedar smells like when you cut it, I can only guess what fresh cedar smells like split!

I like all of them.

Danno77 said:
I'm probably alone in this, but I really enjoy the smell of freshly split black walnut.

Wrong Danno, you're not alone. Thats a great smell, probably my favorite too.

cherry and apple..

What about the smells we don't like?

I don't care for the smell of Birch fresh split or in storage. Smells like cat piss.
Poplar doesn't have a pleasing aroma either when green but sweetens up over time.

Western red cedar. It's our best local smeller. Great for shingles and kindling.

When I smell pine I visualize pine trees and garland draped with a heavy coat of wet snow at Christmas.

I cut some cedar that was blown over on my property when I bought it. I cut it the other day and it smelled just like the inside of a cedar chest. I was amazed. I took a reading with my cheap meter, and it read in the 17 area. It burned fine and smelled even better in my wood furnace.

Shipper

.I like red oak when its split, smells like a giant pile of ketchup ! Then its off to the grill to make some big Hamburgers LOL :coolsmile: Now as for the smell of burning wood its Cherry or apple !

I like the smell of redcedar a lot, but I gotta choose oak. Some times it smells like puke and some times it smells like pickles, but I still like the smell.

Free wood smells the best to me.

Strangely, I actually like the smell of fresh oak. I think it kind of smells like cheese. Apple or cherry is probably my favorite... I love cedar as well. Hell, I love it all!

PA. Woodsman said:
I voted for other-that being Black Birch a.k.a. "Cherry Birch". But Apple rates right up there with it, as does Cherry. And Sassafras is close too!

I like Sassafras also.

Western Red Cedar followed by Spruce.

Hogwildz said:
PA. Woodsman said:

I like Sassafras also.

I agree. Making Sassafras tea was always was a great smell in house when I was a kid.

I like the smell of oak - reminds me of HEAT!!!!!

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.