Best way to clean vent pipe on my setup? Proper off season procedure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonkman

Burning Hunk
Nov 11, 2015
West Michigan
Hi

So I am done with my first season, am I am not sure the best (and easiest) way to clean my vent pipe (see attached photo). I have a Quadrafire Castile Insert that is vented up through our roof. Should I go on the roof and run a brush down? (what kind, I was think of one of the spinning ones with a drill).Then what, use a leaf blower to blow everything out? Or open up the bottom by the stove and vacuum it out?

Also, do I need to put a cap on the pipe outside so I don't have bats or whatnot camping out in there over the summer? Other than that, I plan on a good cleaning of the stove, and pulling the convection and combustion fans and cleaning them, and then putting a moisture absorbent can in the stove, and stuffing a rag in the OAK too. Am I missing anything?

Thanks guys and girls!

full?d=1447295731.jpg

Hi

So I am done with my first season, am I am not sure the best (and easiest) way to clean my vent pipe (see attached photo). I have a Quadrafire Castile Insert that is vented up through our roof. Should I go on the roof and run a brush down? (what kind, I was think of one of the spinning ones with a drill).Then what, use a leaf blower to blow everything out? Or open up the bottom by the stove and vacuum it out?

Also, do I need to put a cap on the pipe outside so I don't have bats or whatnot camping out in there over the summer? Other than that, I plan on a good cleaning of the stove, and pulling the convection and combustion fans and cleaning them, and then putting a moisture absorbent can in the stove, and stuffing a rag in the OAK too. Am I missing anything?

Thanks guys and girls!

View attachment 178319
Don't forget to unplug the unit and put a note in the fuel hopper of all the things you need to do before first lighting in the fall. I would cap the pipe to avoid birds bats and bugs from betting into the pipe.

Depends on your access. if you have pretty good access from inside the stove housing you could brush up from the bottom too. But yeah, that 's about it, either brush from the top down or from the bottom up. A lot of us have a clean out T off the back of the stove someplace.. But a lot of guys with inserts go up from the flange on the back housing. Your call !

Good Idea with the note. I would hate to forget that I plugged the OAK, etc. What to cap the pipe on the roof with? Just a plastic bag would probably work fine? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.