Best way to make kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
How are you all making/getting your kindling?

Seems like every year about this time I contemplate the best way. Hatchet? A bunch of fast pumps on the splitter? Tire and an axe? Just pick up all the splitter scraps and dry them on a tarp?

Seems like every year about this time I contemplate the best way. Hatchet? A bunch of fast pumps on the splitter? Tire and an axe? Just pick up all the splitter scraps and dry them on a tarp?

I have no use for kindling. Most of my reloads are on a bed of coals. If I am starting a new fire I just load in the splits and put 1 or 2 of the rutland firestarting squares in and the fire takes off. Only place I use kindling is in the chimnea.

Dry wood and egg carton starters here. If I do get into something hard to start, either due to weather conditions or because some of the wood got damp, or because the variety is difficult (locust), then usually (rarely) it's sticks from the wood shop that are used to help it along. Refuse from the splitter gets thrown in a wheelbarrow and put on the outside burnpile. When I was hand splitting, trying to keep kindling on hand didn't seem to work. Too much effort, never enough, always ended up on an as needed basis, when it's cold and I wanted a fire instead.

I just gather small sticks from the wood line surrounding my house. It's a constant battle cleaning that crap up anyway living on a mostly wooded lot. I don't stockpile the sticks though so if it rains or snows that strategy is out the window. Oh and I have a wood shop at work that saves me the odds and ends of the solid wood lumber they cut up. That stuff burns real good.

Reactions: LiamFitzpatrick
i just pick up the sticks from the trees... or broccoli. Yeah, definitely broccoli

Reactions: Corey and Highbeam
So does mine

X3.

Toss the splitter bits in three dedicated 33-gallon trash cans that I installed vents on. Plenty of kindling for a season.

Mainly just use a couple pieces of fatwood but it's always nice to have some kindling on hand. Also, since I'm in the middle of the woods, there is never a shortage of downed branches from the wind.

I store and dry my splitter scraps in garbage and 55 gallon barrels. Got tons of it.

This last year I didn't us any kindling. Just a good cold starting technique. I load the floor with 2 oak splits and a few criss crossed on top. A firestarter and a paper tube between the splits. Starts quickly every time.

When splitting, I watch for rounds that pop apart with the splitter only going into them a couple of inches. I split those into 1 inch thick slabs and set them aside. When I need kindling, it’s really quick/easy work to split off a handful of 1/2 inch or smaller strips. Works great, and it takes very little space, comparatively to store the future kindling.

When desperate, I'd place a hatchet on the end of short 2x4 pieces (resting on some other dimensional lumber to save the hatchet blade) and whack the hatchet with a small sledge hammer. Hatchets scare me so I want to keep my fingers as far way as possible. I have been gifted a kindling cracker, so I may test that out when I run out of bits that were picked up off the ground after splitting wood this summer.

I use either cedar roof shakes or get a section of old cedar fence off Craigslist, cut the boards to length and stack next to my wood pile.

I remodeled my house, and after the demo came up with a big pile of cedar shingles. I cut them 8 inches long with the circular saw and split them up small with the axe. Great kindling. Also use pine kindling on top of the cedar.

It’s pricey but I like my “kindling cracker”. Very portable . Can make kindling in basement or garage if need be.

X3.

Toss the splitter bits in three dedicated 33-gallon trash cans that I installed vents on. Plenty of kindling for a season.

Mainly just use a couple pieces of fatwood but it's always nice to have some kindling on hand. Also, since I'm in the middle of the woods, there is never a shortage of downed branches from the wind.

I just let it dry outside and put it in big bags.

Picking up sticks, twigs, and branches that fall from the trees onto my lawn. I need to pick them up anyway. Makes great kindling. I usually end up with about two 30 gallon trash bins of them.

Reactions: Colinrides
When we renovated this old house years ago
After removing the plaster we were left with the lath
piles and piles of it . Kept me in good dry match lite
kindling for many many years Wish I still had some !!

Reactions: Bushels20
I get some easy-splitting stuff like Tulip Poplar or Red Maple, then use a maul to get it small enough to handle with the Estwing Fireside Friend, a sort of hatchet/maul.
001.JPG

Reactions: Tar12
black powder?

When we renovated this old house years ago
After removing the plaster we were left with the lath
piles and piles of it . Kept me in good dry match lite
kindling for many many years Wish I still had some !!

I work in insurance. After a claim, no one ever wants to put plaster back up. Always drywall. Maybe I should start grabbing the lath :) .

Reactions: Tar12