Best Way to Make Protruding Bricks Flush with Hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tickbitty said:
So in that case the extension on the floor should give you all you need, you can get a hearth extender board for around 60$ or get something nicer that's a little more and matches your setup, and you can leave it permanently or remove it in the off season. Still seems like you don't need to permanently alter the bricks if you don't have to.
But it's your place and the result just has to be what you are after so hope it works out great for you! (post some pics when you're done!)

Edit:
Ohhhh, just realized the T5 insert has one of those fancy surrounds that is made to look kinda cast iron and as if it's part of the stove, which makes for a good looking setup. Do you buy the surround in addition to the stove or does it come with it? Because if it comes with it, I guess I can see it's not one you would want to cut. But it's a mighty good looking stove even without that surround, so if you can live without it you can probably custom cut a plain surround or you can skip it.
alderlea_T5insert.jpg

Both my wife and I like the surround, so we want to incorporate it in our set-up.

I appreciate the idea of not cutting the brick, it put me in a different head space, but I am still going to go ahead with it. I will do my best to post some pictures later today

madison said:
cowtown said:
Any work on the mantle would just cause issues.

16" clearance for the mantle --- you could have issues if you do not measure three times -- and allow a couple inches for mistakes, and determine if it is OK

Yes, the guy came on Wed and said everything was okay - so should be good, getting the brick out right now as I type this. I will take a picture when the mason leaves (maybe pretend that I did the work ;)).

Well, the brick has been cut - now waiting on the install. I hired a mason and it was done with hammer and chisel.

Attachments

• Brick_Removed 002.jpg
    Brick_Removed 002.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 788
cowtown said:
Well, the brick has been cut - now waiting on the install. I hired a mason and it was done with hammer and chisel.

you said the only partially visible bricks will be the top ones, I don't think you will ever notice them....esp. if you get some colored type N cement that matches your existing mortar afnd after the installation, use a grout bag and apply a bead of that cement around the surround where it meets your brick...use a pair of gloves and your thumb to point the grout after it sets up a while and you'll never notice those bricks at all, plus it will look like the fireplace was made for your insert!...but that mantel looks REALLY REALLY close to that opening, keep an eye on that thing as it will be above that insert and that insert will really put out the heat.....keep us posted and good luck!

Flamegrower said:
cowtown said:

you said the only partially visible bricks will be the top ones, I don't think you will ever notice them....esp. if you get some colored type N cement that matches your existing mortar afnd after the installation, use a grout bag and apply a bead of that cement around the surround where it meets your brick...use a pair of gloves and your thumb to point the grout after it sets up a while and you'll never notice those bricks at all, plus it will look like the fireplace was made for your insert!...but that mantel looks REALLY REALLY close to that opening, keep an eye on that thing as it will be above that insert and that insert will really put out the heat.....keep us posted and good luck!

I should be okay - the surround (at least according to the manual) will cover all the bricks, so I am happy. Also happy no brick poped out during the cutting.

A minor thing I had to do myself, the hearth was cut to incorporate the brick, so when the brick got cut, it was exposed on the hearth and didn't look good. I had to dig out the remaining brick and put in some travertine there. I will post a picture in a bit (I have to go outside now, I got a leg of lamb on my smoker - it is Canadian Thanksgiving).

cowtown said:
Flamegrower said:
cowtown said:

I should be okay - the surround (at least according to the manual) will cover all the bricks, so I am happy. Also happy no brick poped out during the cutting.

A minor thing I had to do myself, the hearth was cut to incorporate the brick, so when the brick got cut, it was exposed on the hearth and didn't look good. I had to dig out the remaining brick and put in some travertine there. I will post a picture in a bit (I have to go outside now, I got a leg of lamb on my smoker - it is Canadian Thanksgiving).

The pic of what I was talking about (there used to be brick where the new travertine tile is). The brick would have shown on the hearth in front if I didn't do this as the surround would not have covered it up. Not perfect, but not bad.

Attachments

• Small_Travertine_Block_I.jpg
    Small_Travertine_Block_I.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 533
  • Small_Travertine_Block_II.jpg
    Small_Travertine_Block_II.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 483
Hey, starting to shape up nicely. Will be looking good with new insert soon. Happy Thanksgiving to you, your family and all the northern neighbors.

jatoxico said:
Hey, starting to shape up nicely. Will be looking good with new insert soon. Happy Thanksgiving to you, your family and all the northern neighbors.

Thanks for the greetings, just finished off my thanksgiving dinner (really lunch) with a Irish coffee and pumpkin pie (of course there was whip cream on it). Now sitting on my couch in front of my fireplace opening and reading a little hearth.com. Can't wait for the insert to come.

cowtown said:
Flamegrower said:
cowtown said:

Your repair looks fine, can't wait to see the finished product....and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.....that smoked lamb sounds tasty, now you got me hungry!!

Cowtown,

Post some pictures when you get your T5 installed. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I just purchased a T5 insert last weekend. We had a Auroa freestanding wood stove in our prior house but it has been 14 years. We miss the heat from wood. My existing fireplace is pretty much worthless. I have only had 2 or 3 fires in it. The furnace run more with a fire vs without a fire, major up draft I guess.
The place I bought the T5 insert from says PE claims it isn't available until early 2012 but he seems to think he can find one through one of his distributors. I hope so because it's getting rather chilly here in Michigan. To say the least I am quite fired up :) about getting it installed & cooking. Here is a picture of my existing fireplace. I will post a picture of the new T5 when she gets installed. Hopefully sooner than later.
I was limited on my inserts due to clearances. From the hearth up to the first trim piece under the mantle was the issue. I did a lot of research & was going to get the VC Montpeiler but the T5 seems to be better built, better warranty & better suited for my needs. I am going to use it for a supplemental heat source & try to save a few $ on the natural gas.
Cap Cod style house approx 1800 sq ft plus a full basement.

Chilly in Michigan
Bill B.

Attachments

• Fireplace (640x517).jpg
    Fireplace (640x517).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 432
wjb111 said:

Cowtown,

Post some pictures when you get your T5 installed. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I just purchased a T5 insert last weekend. We had a Auroa freestanding wood stove in our prior house but it has been 14 years. We miss the heat from wood. My existing fireplace is pretty much worthless. I have only had 2 or 3 fires in it. The furnace run more with a fire vs without a fire, major up draft I guess.
The place I bought the T5 insert from says PE claims it isn't available until early 2012 but he seems to think he can find one through one of his distributors. I hope so because it's getting rather chilly here in Michigan. To say the least I am quite fired up :) about getting it installed & cooking. Here is a picture of my existing fireplace. I will post a picture of the new T5 when she gets installed. Hopefully sooner than later.
I was limited on my inserts due to clearances. From the hearth up to the first trim piece under the mantle was the issue. I did a lot of research & was going to get the VC Montpeiler but the T5 seems to be better built, better warranty & better suited for my needs. I am going to use it for a supplemental heat source & try to save a few $ on the natural gas.
Cap Cod style house approx 1800 sq ft plus a full basement.

Chilly in Michigan
Bill B.

Wow - my fireplace screen looks very similar to yours (at first glance I thought it was mine). Well the T5 Insert story is as follows:

The dealer said it should be ready to go in 2 weeks and that was 4 weeks ago ;). However, that being said, Pacific Energy contacted my dealer and indicated that the unit has been shipped - but I will believe it when I see it. Your story in terms of a wait time make sense as I have been waiting on this stove for a while. I was limited on clearances as well; hence, I went with the T5 Insert. I am not as serious as some of the burners on this forum. I am just going to use it for supplemental heat.

Question for you, are you going to feed your T5 with outside air or inside air (if you read the manual you have the option of either or). I am going with outside air (but this doesn't mean it is the right way to go).

I will start new thread once I get it, and the guys start the intall. I am thinking in the next three weeks.

One more question for you - where in Michigan are you? I actually went to school in Windsor Ontario, right across from Detroit. I used to hit some of the bars in Detroit back in the day as drinking there was cheaper than drinking in Canada.

cowtown,

What are the pros & cons for using outside vs inside air feed? I don't know what would be the best with my setup. I have a mid 70's 2 story house that is somewhat air tight with upgraded windows & doors. Are you going to have a blocker plate installed? From what I have been reading it seems to make sense but no quite sure. Any thoughts? Anybodies suggestions are appreciated.
I am about 65 miles north of Detroit, in the Flint area & born in the Motor City (Detroit)
Go Lions, Tigers & Red Wings !!!!

Hope we both can be burning the new T5 soon.... :)

Bill B.

wjb111 said:
cowtown,

What are the pros & cons for using outside vs inside air feed? I don't know what would be the best with my setup. I have a mid 70's 2 story house that is somewhat air tight with upgraded windows & doors. Are you going to have a blocker plate installed? From what I have been reading it seems to make sense but no quite sure. Any thoughts? Anybodies suggestions are appreciated.
I am about 65 miles north of Detroit, in the Flint area & born in the Motor City (Detroit)
Go Lions, Tigers & Red Wings !!!!

Hope we both can be burning the new T5 soon.... :)

Bill B.

Outside feed vs. Inside feed is a very touchy subject on this forum.

Why I decided to go with outside air is described here
http://chimneysweeponline.com/hooa.htm
and
http://chimneysweeponline.com/hooa3.htm

I have asked for a block off plate, but my installer is reluctant. I then asked him to simply shove up some Roxul and he is okay with this.

My house is 1979 wo we have a similar vintage (I also have 2 stories)

Also, just got a call from the dealer, the intall is going to take place Nov 11 - getting excited about it.

The only sport I follow is baseball and being born in Toronto, I am a big time Jays fan (too bad the Tigers and the Jays are not still in the same division as they were way back when)

Good luck with the t5 insert install today. You have got to be fired up to get it fired up. Post a few pics...

Chiily in Michigan
And waiting for my t5 classic.J

wjb111 said:
Good luck with the t5 insert install today. You have got to be fired up to get it fired up. Post a few pics...

Chiily in Michigan
And waiting for my t5 classic.J

They bumped me to tomorrow (the guy doing part of the install became a father on Thursday - so Friday was a "no-go").

I will take some pics for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.