Best way to transport wood if no truck avaliable ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Hi, good amount of free wood in rounds available. All I have is a 5 by 8 trailer. Considering using UHAUL or Home depot van. Anyone did that ? Do they have weight limit triggers? thank you

How much wood is a good amount?
I haul 2/3 of a cord and some times more in my 5 x8 trailer
but it has 24 in. sides and a 2500 lb. axle.

I’d be using the trailer. Far more convenient loading height than a u-haul. What’s the GTWR of your trailer?

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Uhaul site says a 26' van will load 9000lb.
45-200lb rounds
Would all depend on how much time you have, milage, amount.
I have a 4x8 2200lb trailer and am fine with just that. 5cords a year, a couple miles travel one way.

I'd go with a Uhaul rental the price justification works out. Just be sure to clean it out really good after otherwise they'll ding you for a cleaning fee.

I have no idea it was custom built for me

Should be stamped on the axle somewhere. If not, what’s the axle tube diameter? Square or round? Tire ratings?

My trailer has 2000 lb rating . Wondering how much wood this would be.

Use the trailer and common sense. If the rounds are green be careful and don't overload it. Take multiple trips if needed.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Should be stamped on the axle somewhere. If not, what’s the axle tube diameter? Square or round? Tire ratings?
Found my bill for the unit axles are rated to 3500 LBs and the tires are
8 ply 15 in. I use it to haul pellets and wood around a pallet
of pellets is 3000 lbs and the trailer does not even sit down
It is also used for the lawn tractor and ATV because it has a
folding loading gate easier than using the truck. I can also tow
it with the wife's small Suv. most convenient.

Reactions: Ashful
My trailer has 2000 lb rating . Wondering how much wood this would be.
Likely based on the axle, a lot of 1-3/4” axles are rated 2000 lb.

GTWR includes the weight of the trailer itself, which is probably 30%’ish of the rating. So, a trailer rated GTWR = 2000 lb. might have a payload rating of 1400’ish pounds. So, reference your handy table of green hardwood weights by cord, and you’ll find it’s 1/4 to 1/2 cord of fresh cut wood, depending on species. If the wood is dried to 20%, then you skip up to 1/3 to 3/4 of a cord.

A few times I rented a 28' straight truck, diesel. Loaded it front to back with splits about 5 ft deep. I looked at the springs but It was hard to tell what weight was in it.