Best wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G Archer

Hearth Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Middle Georgia
On the opinion of the good people of this forum, what is the best wood insert that is on the market regardless of price?

Thanks Glenn

you just opened a can!

The best insert is that one that does the job the best for you in your home. Asking which stove is the best is like asking which car is the best car. For example, there are some that might say a Ferrari is best, though I doubt one would make it up our driveway. Different cars a better for different reasons. Same with stoves.

Without knowing the house size, design and room space size, fireplace size, etc. it's somewhat a guess.
1) are aesthetics important? Then consider the Jotul C450 (2-2.25 cu ft) or the Hampton i300 (2.3 cu ft)
2) ease of use, good heat and simple to clean, maybe consider a Pacific Energy insert
3) want an insert that has a large projection into the room for better heating with the fan off? Maybe consider a Quad 3100i or Lopi Revere or Avalon Rainier.

The sq.ft. of my home is 1900 with 11.5 ft. high ceilings in the living room and the 3 bedrooms.Kitchen and dining room are 8ft.ceilings.The living room where the insert will be is 15X15 ft.I want a flush mount insert or almost flush so as not to take up space in the room.(Replacing a Fisher freestanding unit).I have central heat,so is there any way I can circulate the warm air from the insert over the rest of the house? Thanks for any suggestions.

Glenn

I would take a look at what Pacific Energy has to offer. They are non cats, so they give you a great 'fire show'. They are extremely easy to use. You rarely see a post in here with people having problems with them. A cat insert might suit you better with a room that small though. And don't be afraid of puting the biggest insert you can in the fireplace. You can always turn the blower down to regulate heat.

When I hear "regardless of price" I hear that you want to do something once and do it right.

I would get an insert with a quiet blower, with some sort of "double firebox" to keep heat losses to a minimum. I would make sure it is installed well with a block off plate in the old damper location, and a full code-approved flue liner all the way up the chimney. I would also make sure to purchase something with a warranty that leads you to believe that there is a long life to this product. From the research that I did, Lopi and Pacific Energy both fit that bill, and were available locally to me. I chose Lopi since their dealer near me was much better, it seemed, than the PE dealer. Based on where you live, there will be other good choices as well.

G Archer said:
On the opinion of the good people of this forum, what is the best wood insert that is on the market regardless of price?

Thanks Glenn

My opinion and my opinion only, my first choices would be :

For a formal area where a classic look is important : Jotul (450 or 550)

For a less formal area - durability, performance, nice looking : Pacific Energy

I have had a jotul 450 for 2 years now - I am very happy with it.

Jeff

Consulting your local dealers and getting various recommendations for your area might be noteworthy..I feel, you won`t find anyone trying to convince you that your central air ducts will do much more than, even out some room temps. FWIW There are a few dual purpose stoves which can be used as either a free-standing or insert.. Buck is one, and possibly Avalon (olympic model).

The best insert is the one you "got".

derbygreg said:
You're in the middle of Georgia. Does it really get cold there?

Average nighttime temps in the thirties in Jan. and Feb. Low forties in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.