Best Wood Pound for Green Pound: Which Would You Choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Locust - 27.9 Mill Btu per cord

Hickory - 27.5 MBTU per Cord

Ash - 23.6 MBTU

Red Oak - 24 MBTU

Lodge pole Pine - 19.3 MBTU

Ponderosa Pine - 16.2 MBTU

Big drop off when you get into the pines.

There are a lot of drop offs in the pines, especially around the rivers. But the question related to a cost by weight (ton), not volume (cord) - I would guess that pound for pound they are similar, maybe not? We've found that in general, there a good percent of standing dead pine which is fairly dry; giving a total water:wood ratio that is lower than other woods. BTW, I was being somewhat facetious knowing the demographic makeup of the forum (NE vs W)... :)

moosetrek said:
BTW, I was being somewhat facetious knowing the demographic makeup of the forum (NE vs W)... :)

Don't use big words, I get confused pretty easy. %-P

Another vote for Shagbark.
Joe

Jags said:
moosetrek said:
BTW, I was being somewhat facetious knowing the demographic makeup of the forum (NE vs W)... :)

Don't use big words, I get confused pretty easy. %-P

Forum = group
Those others are beyond me :lol:

I think the locust and ash are both nice choices but ash is easier to spell.

The only reason I would go for black locust over shag bark hickory is I like hickory and hate to see it cut for firewood. Hickory nuts are as good as pecans to my palate. Black locust grows faster than hickory. But if the trees were down already I would take all the hickory I could get first. The btu chart I have says that hickory is a little higher in btu's than bl. locust. Red oak takes too long to dry when you have either hickory or locust and red oak is lower in btu's.

I'll try to keep this short. Being a second year wood burner, sitting on 12+ cords of Oak, and a little of this and a little of that. The Oak that was cut, split and stacked in June of '08, recently resplit a few splits to see 30-32% show up on the moisture meter.

I recently scored some dead stand Oak that measured 16-19%. Sweet fancy Moses! What a nice fire, killer heat, fantastic coals.

So, therefore I have been in super scrounge mode. Looking for whatever is dead and DRY.

I would love to find some Ash, but when you are a scrounger you take what you get.

One thing you can't buy is time!

Off to Boston to the ski show.

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.