Best wood stove humidifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nimrod1911

Nov 13, 2012
I have a Woodstock Soapstone Progress. I want to put a humidifier on it to add some moisture to the air. What do you recommend? Also, I don't want it to boil or spit the water out because the stove is natural stone and I'm afraid of breaking the stone or staining it. I could remove the stop stone plates I suppose and put it on the "cook top."

I’ve seen most folks put it on top and worked with no problems. Some stove stores will carry different shapes, sizes, colors etc.

I’d be curious to see if anyone has something intuitive for flush mount inserts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are concerned with the stove top - stains, cracked stones rusted metal etc - don't put a kettle or any water near the stove. If you are concerned with the humidity - get a humidifier. PS I would never drink out of any kettle that has been sitting on top of a stove for days on end - the warm, wet humid environment is a perfect environment for growing "bugs".

With a nice stove like that you'll have to give that some thought, shop around etc...

...at a hearth shop we purchased a black oval pot with an open faced cover that sits on a trivet..a spacer that prevents water from boiling. It works but weak on the visual.

Sure it may be crude but we couldn't burn without it. Dry throats, build up of static electricity...that kind of thing. It really became a showstopper.

I could remove the stop stone plates I suppose and put it on the "cook top."
We don't remove our stones. We flip the center stone up in the vertical position and put a large old teapot in the center. One interesting note, my brother got a Fireview but refused to put an OAK on it but as a result of the house being too hot he had to open a door to introduce cold (and dry) air. The result of that was a lot more static electricity then I was experiencing in my home (PH with OAK)

Last edited: