better sharpener?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I skimmed the posts...

What angle do you guys prefer...since you can set them on these little grinders?

The angle will be listed on the box for the chain. 30° is probably the most common for Stihl, 25° is common for Oregon. This image is from an Oregon chain box.

upload_2018-11-9_9-31-31.png

Quality chains have a mark on top of the teeth they want you to paralell. Some refer to this as a warning mark to replace your chain.

I have both the 2 in1 and a close cousin to the HF unit mentioned above. The HF unit gets put into service if I have a damaged chain or need to true the angle of the teeth (after many sharpenings I can find variances in the teeth angle. My fault I am sure, but the HF unit corrects that quite easily). The 2 in 1 is used for all other “regular” sharpening as I feel the curved tooth that a file produces is superior to the flat face that the grinder produces. And no guessing on the raker height with the 2 in 1. It does the measurement for you.

Reactions: Soundchasm