BEV Pickup Trucks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don’t think They don’t have a hybrid drive system for the the 1/2 and larger trucks yet. Toyota has one for theirs now. Have not seen one in the wild yet. Have not seen a tear down on it either. The smaller versions use a planetary CVT. Want that on your truck?

Ford has the Power Boost hybrid, just not a PHEV yet.

Making the majority of EVs fit the price range and desires of a small portion of the population will not get more of them on the road and not 1. help with environmental reasons and 2. not encourage manufactures improve their options.
Good post. But I do think this is the way they're inevitably headed, as well. It makes sense that the new tech was rolled out first aimed at the crowd most likely to be early adopters, namely enthusiasts and higher-end buyers. But there's no way major automakers are going to ignore the masses, as the tech becomes mature and opportunities for cost reduction are realized.

Almost all new tech starts with performance first, just get it working, and moves to cost reduction and yield improvement second.

Good post. But I do think this is the way they're inevitably headed, as well. It makes sense that the new tech was rolled out first aimed at the crowd most likely to be early adopters, namely enthusiasts and higher-end buyers. But there's no way major automakers are going to ignore the masses, as the tech becomes mature and opportunities for cost reduction are realized.

Almost all new tech starts with performance first, just get it working, and moves to cost reduction and yield improvement second.
I am more than ok with the high-end crowd being the Guinea pigs...;lol

I do agree completely though. Much like first model years and "launch editions", this is the same thing. They pump out the highest end largest margin vehicles. This should be a good thing for the technology, make the most money of the fewest samples and improve the technology.

Reactions: Ashful
I am more than ok with the high-end crowd being the Guinea pigs...;lol

I do agree completely though. Much like first model years and "launch editions", this is the same thing. They pump out the highest end largest margin vehicles. This should be a good thing for the technology, make the most money of the fewest samples and improve the technology.
I do think it will be interesting to see if Tesla’s manufacturing philosophy will affect the cab on frame products. Are the extra margins in the quantity or the ease of assembly?

Reactions: Shank
I do think it will be interesting to see if Tesla’s manufacturing philosophy will affect the cab on frame products. Are the extra margins in the quantity or the ease of assembly?
I am unfamiliar with Tesla's manufacturing methods but with unibody platforms having subframes I can't imagine it is vastly different.

I am unfamiliar with Tesla's manufacturing methods but with unibody platforms having subframes I can't imagine it is vastly different.
Tesla’s mega castings have incorporated 200-300 (this number could be off so don’t quote it but it’s close enough) individual “parts” into a single casting that is manufactured in 90 seconds. It’s way beyond unibody. The structural battery pack with a casting n each end is something that’s never been done.

Reactions: Ashful and Shank
We all forget that the first ICE cars were crazy expensive and only accessible to rich people. Gas stations were few and far between, range anxiety was real. If you own a home or rent a place with a 200 amp supply, you can probably do most of your EV charging at home. You can't refuel your ICE at home, in most cases.

Reactions: Ashful and Shank
We all forget that the first ICE cars were crazy expensive and only accessible to rich people. Gas stations were few and far between, range anxiety was real. If you own a home or rent a place with a 200 amp supply, you can probably do most of your EV charging at home. You can't refuel your ICE at home, in most cases.

Another thing I need to look into, I only have a 100A supply...

Tesla’s mega castings have incorporated 200-300 (this number could be off so don’t quote it but it’s close enough) individual “parts” into a single casting that is manufactured in 90 seconds. It’s way beyond unibody. The structural battery pack with a casting n each end is something that’s never been done.

Interesting. I would like to look into this.

A video of the process.

I can charge 100 miles a day (10 hours) on 13A 3.1kw. 200 amp isn’t even needed.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Shank
Another thing I need to look into, I only have a 100A supply...
But I think you said you were a young guy, so maybe just getting started, not yet in your "forever" house? Might make more sense to wait on upgrades, if that's the case, unless you're dragging that BEV home this year.

I can remember when centrifucal casting was brand new, and the lost wax system was just catching on in high production. The first Centrifucal unit, in Milwaukee WI, was hand built in house by Nordberg Mfg. Used to make some parts for USS Nautilus propulsion systems at the time. ( Grandpa built the molds, Dad was head of the tool room)

Reactions: begreen and Shank
But I think you said you were a young guy, so maybe just getting started, not yet in your "forever" house? Might make more sense to wait on upgrades, if that's the case, unless you're dragging that BEV home this year.
Correct, but it's low cost is sure nice. It isn't something I would just jump into. There may be some considerations in the near future that require more amperage anyway. Time will tell.

Personally level 1 charger didn't cut it for my needs [For a lot it might be sufficient or the only option]. When we bought the car, took almost 36 hours to fully charge the car. Family doctor was 120 miles roundtrip, with shopping near by added another 15 miles, thats 135 miles. I immediately bought Level 2 Charger. Level 1 charger stays as in the car as an emergency backup.

Ioniq 5 supports 48A on a level 2 at home.
My garage has a 100A subpanel,
I installed my own level 2 charger. Had to do bit of electrical work. to support 48A, Installed a 60A circuit breaker on the subpanel, and hardwired the level 2 charger with a 4 AWG/Guage wire.
Self Installation Total Cost: under $850 [Level 2 Charger + Circuit Breaker + 4 feet Wire + Misc, clamps etc]
My Level 2 charging rate is 11.3 kW/h. I consistently charge the car to 80% around 5 hours or 100% under 7 hours if the car is bone dry [pretty rare].

Something to keep in mind. If you live in an urban city/township area or need permits from town (which is common), you are better off hiring a licensed electrician/professional to do the work. I have seen the cost of level 2 installation can widely range from few hundreds to several thousands, as the wiring is NOT cheap and depends on your current electric situation. Charger costs can be offset if your electric company offers discount [always good to check, mine didnt].

If i get a chance to buy a BEV truck in future, i might add a second level 2 and/or upgrade the system as the trucks have bigger battery and support much higher Amperage. I would like to maximize that.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodgeek
Well Fords not taking any orders any more. https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/1...ightning-any-longer-count-this-as-a-fail/amp/

Does that make the Tesla cyber truck more appealing??

It’s now a race to volume production and Ford stumbled. Tesla kept delaying and delaying let’s see if they can pull off volume production and out pace Ford.

Ford isn't just having issues with Lightning, other models have been unavailable for order for months too.

Work ordered 4 2022 F550's back in February, still no idea when we might get them. All we know is they will be coming as 2023's and the price has increased close to $15k.

Well Fords not taking any orders any more. https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/1...ightning-any-longer-count-this-as-a-fail/amp/

Does that make the Tesla cyber truck more appealing??

It’s now a race to volume production and Ford stumbled. Tesla kept delaying and delaying let’s see if they can pull off volume production and out pace Ford.
Tesla had similar issues when they first started out with the S and also with the 3 initially. It takes time to ramp up and no car company goes from making none to 250k right away.

I think Ford underestimated demand and there's a chip shortage.

I think Ford underestimated demand and there's a chip shortage.
As did Tesla and Rivian….If Toyota could get their EV Tacoma out now, I would buy one immediately. There is a lot of demand for these vehicles.

Tesla slashed prices UPTO 20% on some of their models . 3 & Y are looking pretty affordable. Combined with 2023 Fed tax credit 7500, you can drive a Model 3 off the lot for under 40K (minus taxes).

They 5 seat Y and the 3 Performance got the biggest cuts to get under the tax credit caps. Still can not order the Model 3 long range as they ware still way behind on orders.

If you are BEV shopping and need one in the next 12 months I doubt you will get a better deal. For at least a year.

They 5 seat Y and the 3 Performance got the biggest cuts to get under the tax credit caps. Still can not order the Model 3 long range as they ware still way behind on orders.

If you are BEV shopping and need one in the next 12 months I doubt you will get a better deal. For at least a year.

yea if some one is looking for a cheaper EV this would be the time. some states like NJ offer even further rebates. for eg: you can get a brand new model 3 combined with state (4k) and fed (7500), for under 33k. Unfortunately in PA you get only 750 rebate.

This is good if someone is in the market for a used tesla, the prices will plummet soon and affordable for a lot people.