BEV Pickup Trucks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
But the payload and towing of the Rivian R1T are right square in the middle of F150 / 1500 territory, yet it remains more expensive than an F250, similarly equipped. It's only fair comparison might really be the V10 SRT pickup that Dodge discontinued a decade ago.

You're going to have trouble convincing me that any purchase of the R1T is for any reason other than show or giggles, similar to nearly any high-HP vehicle.
I changed my posting with a quick price check. The F250 Lariat sells for about $15K more - $85K! It's the F150 Lariat that sells for around $70k and some change.

Reactions: Ashful
I changed my posting with a quick price check. The F250 Lariat sells for about $15K more - $85K! It's the F150 Lariat that sells for around $70k and some change.
Wow. I'll say now that's more coin than I'd ever drop on a truck, but then I'm sure we'll all be there in a few more years. The rate of increase in truck prices is just too much, but I know it's only driven by what's selling.

But the point remains that we should really only ever be comparing the R1T to 1/2 ton pickups, based on payload, towing, and nearly every other factor.

The OP left the room a while ago but he ended up ordering a GMC Sierra Denali, not the Rivian. There was no mention of what the desired characteristics were but the price of the Rivian was a showstopper. Might just want to be the first one on the block to show it off.

FWIW $70k is not far off from an F150 Lariat in price.

Nope, Never mentioned the price of rivian other than being on fence, but mentioned about GMC denali (107k msrp for high end model) - Link
Price of rivian is not a show stopper but rather it is a startup and hesitancy towards any sort of future maintenance.

I have no interest in showing off anything. where i live, i am surrounded by hillbillies, Some of the nicest people i've ever met but wrong crowd to marvel at an EV. Now I am one of them ha.

I just want something practical and willing to wait. I can get by until then.

Reactions: begreen
Wow. I'll say now that's more coin than I'd ever drop on a truck, but then I'm sure we'll all be there in a few more years. The rate of increase in truck prices is just too much, but I know it's only driven by what's selling.

But the point remains that we should really only ever be comparing the R1T to 1/2 ton pickups, based on payload, towing, and nearly every other factor.

Agreed. R1T seems more of a life style truck than what I am looking for. I really like the look of it. thats about it.

Never mentioned the price of rivian other than being on fence, but mentioned about GMC denali (107k msrp for high end model
Astounding. That's a lot more than we paid for our first house - with a 30 yr mortgage. Agreed the Denali is a more practical truck, though towing range is still TBD. Hopefully the Denali is delayed long enough to get the gen2 Ultium battery for greater range.

Reactions: boomfire
Astounding. That's a lot more than we paid for our first house. Hope the Denali is delayed long enough to get the gen2 Ultium battery for greater range.

Yep. they releasing the most expensive trim first (2024) and cheaper trim (elevation) in 2025, which was supposed to be in 50-70k range. which is a bit more realistic. Now if they can offer 400 miles per charge on the cheaper model, its going to be a winner i think.

The first time I did a 'launch' with the 2017 Bolt I was floored. It's maybe 2.8 seconds 0-30.
Many people have a belief that a BEV is like a golf cart, slow and plodding. So the first thing I always do when I take somebody for a drive in my Bolt is that same demonstration - 0-30 in very few seconds. It shocks almost everyone who experiences it. The hardest part is starting slow enough so the tires don't spin.

Reactions: EbS-P
By the time Tesla makes a stainless steel truck I won’t live long enough for a Ford to rust away.

Ford will honor the original price for anyone who reserved their place in line for the $100 deposit. Like most, I didn’t want a first year experiment truck, and waited to find a $7000 price increase for the next year.

If the range drops in half when towing, then these trucks are going to have a harder adoption rate for horse, rv, and boat owners.

If the range drops in half when towing, then these trucks are going to have a harder adoption rate for horse, rv, and boat owners.
Tesla has a 900kwh battery pack for the semi and 1Mw charging. Towing range wont be an issue in a couple years if you have the money to spend.

Tesla has a 900kwh battery pack for the semi and 1Mw charging. Towing range wont be an issue in a couple years if you have the money to spend.
Better put those batteries on a diet to be in a 1/2 ton pickup. That's a lot of weight. Plus, 1 mW charging is not showing up at the local Walmart anytime soon, if ever.

By my math 300kwh is the bare minimum I could get away with in a 1 ton truck to actually be of any use, I don't see that coming anytime soon.

So on that note the new '23 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke HO is 500hp, 1,200 ft/lbs of torque and comes mated to a 10-speed automatic. Someone just take my money now!

By my math 300kwh is the bare minimum I could get away with in a 1 ton truck to actually be of any use, I don't see that coming anytime soon.

So on that note the new '23 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke HO is 500hp, 1,200 ft/lbs of torque and comes mated to a 10-speed automatic. Someone just take my money now!
300 might be a stretch. I’m not sure what the 1 ton market BEV market will look like. Tesla can easily meet those power numbers with existing tech with a trim motor.
Better put those batteries on a diet to be in a 1/2 ton pickup. That's a lot of weight. Plus, 1 mW charging is not showing up at the local Walmart anytime soon, if ever.
But I bet we start seeing them at truck stops before 2023 is over. I think it’s a bit gimmicky but the tech is real. I was pondering if any of the regular towing routes taken as a kid pulling a boat and camper would be possible. Longest stretch between chargers is 150 miles. It probably would have required charging at the rv campsite a bit (adding 30% charge) to get back home.

I'd think a BEV stuck in traffic would be a concern, especially in winter or summer with the heater or air conditioning running. Climate control must be a significant draw on the system.

Many people have a belief that a BEV is like a golf cart, slow and plodding. So the first thing I always do when I take somebody for a drive in my Bolt is that same demonstration - 0-30 in very few seconds. It shocks almost everyone who experiences it. The hardest part is starting slow enough so the tires don't spin.

I'd prefer less power and a longer range. The acceleration of some of these EVs is crazy fast, 0 to 60 in 5 seconds or less, and some of the new pickup trucks are close to being capable of that. Sure would be fun though, but it would be nice if there was an option to select driving modes, one favoring acceleration and another providing less available power and a longer range. Maybe there is, being and electronic system the settings probably could easily be done.

It probably would have required charging at the rv campsite a bit (adding 30% charge) to get back home.
Not much help out here where there are high mountain passes and no towns for 50 miles or more. Most hunters are not camping out at KOA. If someone wanted to go RV camping in Eastern OR they might be SOL.

I think BEV personal trucks will be popular with the suburban set, but not a practical solution for those living far outside of urban areas for quite a while. OTOH, they make great sense for commercial applications where the truck or van sees less than 200 mi travel on a daily basis.

Reactions: sloeffle
I'd think a BEV stuck in traffic would be a concern, especially in winter or summer with the heater or air conditioning running. Climate control must be a significant draw on the system.

Seems like it should be. But in practice, the biggest drain is driving FAST on the HW. I get 270 miles on back roads and around town, and maybe 220 miles on the HW at 75 mph. So when there is (moving) traffic, while it takes longer to get home, I get there with MORE charge than I would otherwise. I've seen this MANY times.

If I was stuck in traffic for a couple DAYS, like a blizzard or something... I'd turn the seat heaters on, the cabin on low, and the battery could keep me warm for a few days. Ofc, I'm not expecting to get stuck in traffic that long without moving. On the bright side, if my car gets buried in snow, I won't die of CO poisoning.

One 'risk' is WIND. Lots of folks report there being a hard steady headwind and it eating a bit of range. A 20 mph headwind when I'm driving at 75 feels like driving 90 mph...yikes! And THAT is why I have a buffer. Topography also matters, but the route planning software I use takes that into account already.

300 might be a stretch. I’m not sure what the 1 ton market BEV market will look like. Tesla can easily meet those power numbers with existing tech with a trim motor.

But they can't sustain that output like a diesel engine can, I'm not sure of the motors, but the batteries definitely overheat at those outputs. That's why I'm thinking 300kwh, because it might be able to deliver 400+hp continuously on some of the long grades in the Rockies.

Reactions: sloeffle
But they can't sustain that output like a diesel engine can, I'm not sure of the motors, but the batteries definitely overheat at those outputs. That's why I'm thinking 300kwh, because it might be able to deliver 400+hp continuously on some of the long grades in the Rockies.
There probably is a limit, but I've read that they are testing some of these EVs under load in the mountains in Southern California. The battery pack has a cooling system. Some transfer the waste heat into passenger cabin heating when there is a need. This helps extend the winter driving range.

Seems like it should be. But in practice, the biggest drain is driving FAST on the HW. I get 270 miles on back roads and around town, and maybe 220 miles on the HW at 75 mph. So when there is (moving) traffic, while it takes longer to get home, I get there with MORE charge than I would otherwise. I've seen this MANY times....

Those mileage ranges are good IMO, I could deal with that. Some ICE vehicles with fuel tanks on the small size may be lucky to hit 300 miles from a tankful, less in urban/suburban driving. So then with BEVs, speed is more of a factor, which makes sense. I'll admit it takes some thinking different than what I've been used to all these years, such as better fuel economy results on the highway with an ICE vehicle, while a BEV will do better around town.

I guess with a BEV the vehicle doesn't need to 'warm up' for both motor efficiency and using the heater. I saw a post an another forum where someone was concerned about how a BEV would 'start' in cold weather. I'd think it doesn't 'start' just turns on. Maybe another advantage for BEVs, there's no engine to turn over. Maybe more current draw in cold weather, but I'd think once it's on you're good to go with full heater potential.

The battery pack has a cooling system. Some transfer the waste heat into passenger cabin heating when there is a need. This helps extend the winter driving range.

Interesting - so not all cabin heating is done by a conventional electric heater.

Last edited:
So for all the interstate passes I bet there is already a DC charging station within 40 miles of the pass. More new and faster will be built. If it can not pull rated loads up an interstate pass it won’t be sold. We are discussing range desired range given current tech. Future rage will be longer more and faster chargers are already being built. No one has to worry about any forced BE truck purchases. Honestly I am considering renting for the next Laing haul family vacation. I think will become a more popular option in the future.

220 miles vs. 270 miles seems irrelevant, when the current ICE "outdoorsman" pickups are arguing over 600 vs. 800 mile ranges.

So for all the interstate passes I bet there is already a DC charging station within 40 miles of the pass. More new and faster will be built. If it can not pull rated loads up an interstate pass it won’t be sold. We are discussing range desired range given current tech. Future rage will be longer more and faster chargers are already being built. No one has to worry about any forced BE truck purchases. Honestly I am considering renting for the next Laing haul family vacation. I think will become a more popular option in the future.
Look at a map of eastern OR. Not much out there. The interstate runs along the Columbia on the north edge of the state with nothing south of there. If you are going from Pendelton, OR to Reno, NV you will need about 590 miles range. There is nada in between according to Plug Share. You can take a detour route via Interstate 84, but that adds miles and not good if you need to stop in Burns, OR along the way. I just don't see the ranchers there, or in Montana, S. or N. Dakota, etc. running out to the interstate for a charge.

Look at a map of eastern OR. Not much out there. The interstate runs along the Columbia on the north edge of the state with nothing south of there. If you are going from Pendelton, OR to Reno, NV you will need about 590 miles range. There is nada in between according to Plug Share. You can take a detour route via Interstate 84, but that adds miles and not good if you need to stop in Burns, OR along the way. I just don't see the ranchers there, or in Montana, S. or N. Dakota, etc. running out to the interstate for a charge.
They won’t be for everyone. Rural places are going to need substantially more infrastructure spending per capita than the coasts and suburbia. There will be places you won’t get to vacation pulling an RV with a BET. There are places now you can’t pull your trailer too. Owners will figure what’s important to them. Plenty of people are pulling campers with BEVs now. They made a choice or several cascading choices.

After 9 months of owning a BEV it’s never been out of town (maybe not even outside the city limits). We take the van because thats where we and all our stuff fit. Point is a BET might not be a direct replacement for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck but I bet it could do a large portion. It’s the stuff is can’t will, I think drive purchase decisions in the 3/4 a1 ton segment. Will you keep the old truck and add a BET? That’s an option that might make sense for some. But it out the oldest highest mileage vehicle in the most desolate remote places. How appealing is that?? Decisions, decisions.

ABRP finds a route in seconds, with Burns, OR as a waypoint. PlugShare is obsolete, and doesn't list all DCFCs.

A hypothetical F-150 lightning handles the 590 mile route with 3 hours charging time and 9.7 hours road time.

My Bolt can make it too, but takes 4 hours to charge.

The DCFC in Burns is sketchy, with a single 62 kW CCS stall:

Last edited: