Big Bass-Large mouth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jtakeman said:
jags were did you get the 9.5 pounder? Nice fish! On 6# even! I don't think I could stand that. I use 10# cranking and 12 to 14# jigging and rigging. I still use mono too. But very tempted to use some of the super lines. Just gotta get used to that sound they make!

It was on a private freeway pond (about 8 acres). Had a huge food source of bluegills for them footballs to chow down on. I have a 2 man plastic boat with a trolling motor on the front. It was caught using a 6" culprit plastic worm fished sloooooow. We (my fishing buddy and I) used 6# because the bass were getting a little too smart. Virtually no snags in the lake, so once the fish was on, you had all the time in the world to work'em. French made Mitchell 300 and tons of back reeling were involved. Oh, no net. That thing had to be lipped into the boat.

No lie - the VERY NEXT CAST I made after that fish was a 6# bass.

jtakeman said:
basswidow said:
Glad he's a KVD fan - most kids love IKE.

Another huge bass - I love your son's hands on the belly for reference.

My biggest northern strains have been in the 6 lb range. I've caught a few 9's in FL. My Dad lives on the St. Johns. It's bass fishing heaven. 9 lb'rs in CT is awesome. Way to go.

How are the lakes in NJ? Never got a chance to fish there. We have been to NH and VT. Some lakes in mass too. But we spend to much time working and not enough time fishing.

Someday we hope to fish Okeechobee and some of the channels. I hear Florida has some Peacock bass in the channels. My wifes parents winter in Ocala and we may take them up on a winter visit some day. Someday we will get there. As long as we can spend some time on a lake!

Can't wait smallies tomorrow!

The lakes in NJ are mostly private and the public ones are heavily pressured. I have a few off the beaten track sweet spots.
One is an old lime pit that struck an aquafer and is loaded with beautiful smallies.

Post some CT smallie pics too would ya?

Jags said:
jtakeman said:
jags were did you get the 9.5 pounder? Nice fish! On 6# even! I don't think I could stand that. I use 10# cranking and 12 to 14# jigging and rigging. I still use mono too. But very tempted to use some of the super lines. Just gotta get used to that sound they make!

It was on a private freeway pond (about 8 acres). Had a huge food source of bluegills for them footballs to chow down on. I have a 2 man plastic boat with a trolling motor on the front. It was caught using a 6" culprit plastic worm fished sloooooow. We (my fishing buddy and I) used 6# because the bass were getting a little too smart. Virtually no snags in the lake, so once the fish was on, you had all the time in the world to work'em. French made Mitchell 300 and tons of back reeling were involved. Oh, no net. That thing had to be lipped into the boat.

I've always used light tackle. It's more fun. Every once in a while I loose one, but not too often. I think it bothers the people I'm fishing with more than me when the line snaps. A few years ago I pulled a 21" smallmouth on 6lb test.

Matt

Jags said:
jtakeman said:

I too use no net for any bass. I only use a net for the toothy critters! Love to see some pictures if you got any. That sure sounded like a lotta fun.

basswidow said:
jtakeman said:
basswidow said:
Glad he's a KVD fan - most kids love IKE.

Another huge bass - I love your son's hands on the belly for reference.

My biggest northern strains have been in the 6 lb range. I've caught a few 9's in FL. My Dad lives on the St. Johns. It's bass fishing heaven. 9 lb'rs in CT is awesome. Way to go.

How are the lakes in NJ? Never got a chance to fish there. We have been to NH and VT. Some lakes in mass too. But we spend to much time working and not enough time fishing.

Someday we hope to fish Okeechobee and some of the channels. I hear Florida has some Peacock bass in the channels. My wifes parents winter in Ocala and we may take them up on a winter visit some day. Someday we will get there. As long as we can spend some time on a lake!

Can't wait smallies tomorrow!

The lakes in NJ are mostly private and the public ones are heavily pressured. I have a few off the beaten track sweet spots.
One is an old lime pit that struck an aquafer and is loaded with beautiful smallies.

Post some CT smallie pics too would ya?

Well the smallers were tough today. My biggest was only 14". My son had a few better ones, But they kept coming unbuttoned. Blue bird skies with almost no wind. Spent most of the day searching for them. Thought the day was going to be really bad. But we found some large rocks and they were there. But the size was a bit small. But we cought some numbers anyway. We need to fish this lake more often to find the pattern. Dropshot worked OK, But maybe deep crankbaits for the brutes?

Attachments

• smallie .jpg
    smallie .jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 225
Sorry Jtake - no pics. It was just a typical afternoon fishing bout - no camera. I would have loved to have pics, but wasn't going to risk holding the fish till I could run home and get a camera (the pond is 5 min. away from home). I was just happy to have a witness. :cheese:

Took another shot at the smallies today. Had some overcast skies and a bit of wind. We thru the tackle box at them and it payed off.

19" long and 14" girth. I am guessing 4 lbs. Deep crankbaits worked. I caught this one in 18 feet of water

Attachments

• smallie.jpg
    smallie.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 212
jtakeman said:
Took another shot at the smallies today. Had some overcast skies and a bit of wind. We thru the tackle box at them and it payed off.

19" long and 14" girth. I am guessing 4 lbs. Deep crankbaits worked. I caught this one in 18 feet of water

Nice healthy looking bass, what color crankbait did you use?

zap

zap, I got it on a rapala DT-10 bluegill color.(shh, don't tell anyone OK?) :lol:

jags, She pulled harder than the LMB I caught. Non stop all the way to the boat. All I could say was "please don't come off". I just knew it was a good one. They hit like frieght trains and just don't stop pulling. One word sums it "FUN"

Well to close this I though I would share my xmas/birthday present. My wife had it done and surprised me with it. I think it came out nice and glad the real live one is gonna have babies this spring. :)

Attachments

• 8 pnd LMB 6 19 10.jpg
    8 pnd LMB 6 19 10.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 237
God bless your wife. It's rare to find a woman that supports or understands her husbands bass fishing addiction! Or wood scrounging addictions!

Nice replica !!!

When I retire someday - maybe a cabin by a lake, I hope I can put a few replica's on the wall.

Looks good!

What do you do during the winter? Ice fish? or just hit fishing shows and comb thru your gear for next year?

I appreciate having the chore of gathering wood as another hobby during the non fishing months! Saves me from going crazy!

We used to fish every chance we got until my so came along. Now she lets us go off and have all the fun. She a keeper! :)

My son and I do some ice fishing, But mostly for trout. We repay momma as she loves to eat them. We head out hoping to catch dinner. Rest of the time is in the Bass Pro-Cabela's catalogs. We take some trips to the East Hartford store and treat momma with some dinner while we are there. We also hit the show here in Hartford. My son is a sucker for the pro's and there sales pitches on the latest lure. So I try to limit that some. He would go to um all If we let him. Mostly try to get things while on sale and watch for deals. If we get anymore tackle the boats gonna sink! Reels are cleaned and lube. Bags are cleaned and rusty hooks replaced. All we need is open water. We have some Magic swimmers were hankering to try out.

I hope my son gets the big girl this season. I can tell he's happy for dad, But really wants his own monster on the wall! Probably wouldn't hurt if it was a bit bigger than dads. :)

Sebile Magic Swimmers?

I've yet to get one. I know they were all the rage a few years ago when they were winning some tourneys down south. Certainly a good bait. Give us a report please.

So - everything in your son's tackle box is "Sexy Shad"? Or one of those light blinking baits that Ike was pimping? Some trigger X scent baits?

Hope he catches a big mama this year. Have you taken him to any tourneys? If he's into the sport and likes following the Pro's - a tourney would be really cool for him. They let the kids help out and the pro's are very accessible - usually giving kids some free bees. It truly is a great family sport and you are doing him right by passing it on! Kudo's.

basswidow said:
Sebile Magic Swimmers?

I've yet to get one. I know they were all the rage a few years ago when they were winning some tourneys down south. Certainly a good bait. Give us a report please.

So - everything in your son's tackle box is "Sexy Shad"? Or one of those light blinking baits that Ike was pimping? Some trigger X scent baits?

Hope he catches a big mama this year. Have you taken him to any tourneys? If he's into the sport and likes following the Pro's - a tourney would be really cool for him. They let the kids help out and the pro's are very accessible - usually giving kids some free bees. It truly is a great family sport and you are doing him right by passing it on! Kudo's.

Yes on the Sebile's, We scored them at Cabela's just after thanksgiving. Picked up 2 for each on the hard and 2 for each on the soft. We saw them at a show 2 years ago, But could never find any locally. The action is outstanding. They caught the fisherman, So lets hope they catch fish too!

My son is a Vandamn fan and is loaded up on strike king stuff. No blinky baits(yet!) But he does have the banjo minnow kit.

He was pretty small(forget how old) and we did the Ct river pro stop. We will have to go again. Last season he really jumped on the fishing, Before it was baseball 1st and fishing when we could between games. He decided last year it was more fun fishing as baseball was getting to be more like work. So we are now looking at a bigger boat and possible local turneys. Depends on funds and if I can sell the ski boat. I don't want to get his hopes up too high, Economy is still shaky.

j-takeman said:
The action is outstanding. They caught the fisherman, So lets hope they catch fish too!

I have always said that a lures design is to catch the fisherman. Its the fishermans job to catch the fish. :lol:

The strike king baits are good. I love the coffee tubes.

Did your son get his Quantum KVD baitcaster from Santa? I bet he'll do just fine with a baitcaster.

I noticed your fishing boat is a tiller / aluminum jon. What kind of boat are you looking for? I need a bigger boat too. Sold my jon boat last fall and camper. Now I have no toys and I want a bass boat. The wife and kids want a ski boat. I could get a combo boat, but I really really really want a bass boat. I am thinking of getting by with a 9.9 jon for the lakes and my Dad has a runabout ski boat I can use. Money is tight.

Can't wait for summer. If you and your son ever get down to NJ, I can take you to a spot IKE calls the Tick Hole (youtube it). It's full of big bass and it's minutes from my home. I fish it all the time. There would be a good chance he'd get a 5-6lbr on his first cast. Seriously.

Santa? No Santa didn't have to come this year, He found out about santa from some of the older kids at school. He asked for a new computer and internet to help with home work. Easter will be fishing gear upgrades.

I have a 14 foot prince craft(see picture). We kind of stole at a boat show year old leftover. I also have a Smoker Craft 17 1/2 foot fish/ski. Were looking for a 15 to 16 foot side console with a fugal 50 to 75 HP etec. The 17 1/2 has a 150 and is tooooo thirsty for us. Still looking at them all and not set on what we want.

I fish carolina rig often. And the Strike king 7 1/2 3X worms are killer cus they float of the bottom. Thats what I got the 8 pounder with. I prefer rapala for the cranks, But also like the strike kings. Terminator for spinnerbaits and strike king is a close 2nd. Still messing with the swim baits and have no favorites yet. This hobby can put you in the poor house!

Attachments

• little boat.jpg
    little boat.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 182
[I told my 11 year old, if he doesn't believe - Santa doesn't come. I think he's just going along with it for the sake of his 5 year old brother!

Shoot - you've got two really nice boats. Both sound nice to me.

yes - this hobby can put you in the poor house. I usually like to do an inventory during the winter to see what I have. Dispite doing this, I go to shows and still pick up stuff I already have - to the point that I have more then I will ever use. I must have every kind of jig trailer, more soft plastic then Zoom and yamamoto. My favorite cranks are Norman Deep Lil N's. Mann's Hank Parker Classic is my favorite spinnerbait.

At our lake (Oneida) we have some nice healthy small mouths. Caught a few this summer over 3lbs and my neighbor got a 4lber. A 3lb smallie fights like a 6lb largemouth. Nice strong fish. Many times had a small mouth spin my little 16' boat in slow circles when using light tackle and having long fights. Get them on deep running crank baits, crawfish colors.

I've fished Oneida a few times. It's one of my favorite lakes. I'd love to fish the Northern Open there or the FLW BFL, but I'm not sure my work schedule will cooperate. Nice lake!

basswidow said:
I told my 11 year old, if he doesn't believe - Santa doesn't come. I think he's just going along with it for the sake of his 5 year old brother!

Shoot - you've got two really nice boats. Both sound nice to me.

My son is an only child. Funny thing is he still wanted the gifts that we(santa) would leave out, So santa came. But the thrill of santa is gone. :-(

2 boats is twice the headache IMO! I would love to to find a 1 boat for all use. 17 1/2' is a bit big for the smaller lakes we fish. It also has a full wind sheild. Carolina rigging night mare. I have already broke one and they aint cheap either. A 15 to 16 foot side console would be a little easier to handle. If things don't work out I could just repower the 17 1/2 footer. But the boats are mostly motor cost. So if I can't find a deal on power, I'd rather just get new package. But affording either right now might be tough. So were only dreaming about it. I am set on the Etec, So finding a used package might be a little harder. But I would consider the option to save a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.