Big changes are happening in transportation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
… my winter car is a 2002 Audi A4 …

I had a 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro with a stick. Really liked that car. Green with a tan interior. I've been told that it was a unicorn. It was the regional Audi reps car, and I bought it as a CPO at 9,400 miles. A friend that's an Audi tech here used to service it. He recently told me that he still tells people about the car and that he's never seen another like it.

Pretty funny story … a bunch of us that know each other through a VW web site were in RI for the Q7 debut and to watch Truth in 24 at a theater private screening. One friend had the newer 3.2 six in his Audi. His wife was going on and on that they had it in for service, she was given a 3.0 as a loaner, how much she hated the engine, how slow it was, and she couldn't believe anyone would ever drive the 3.0.

They parked right behind us in the theater. I looked at my wife, "wonder if they noticed the 3.0 badge on the back." My wife replied, "I was wondering the same thing." :)

Yes but soon if you want a sedan you will have no choice but to duy a foreign car. And what will happen to sales of American cars when fuel prices spike again? To me it is an incredibly short sighted decision.
Its been decades since i bought a sedan, like many others i have no use for one since i dont commute and im always hauling either people or cargo. I would be interested in a truck or SUV that was partly electrified and i think the big 3 may go in that direction since yesterdays sedan drivers are todays SUV and truck drivers. Cost of fuel is a very small part of vehicle ownership for me. They are keeping the Bolt and expanding that platform so that should satisfy the small car buyer that wants low fuel cost per mile.

Its been decades since i bought a sedan, like many others i have no use for one since i dont commute and im always hauling either people or cargo. I would be interested in a truck or SUV that was partly electrified and i think the big 3 may go in that direction since yesterdays sedan drivers are todays SUV and truck drivers. Cost of fuel is a very small part of vehicle ownership for me. They are keeping the Bolt and expanding that platform so that should satisfy the small car buyer that wants low fuel cost per mile.
I agree many people dont want sedans. But the imports still sell plenty of them. I dont need a sedan personally i rarley drive my own vehicle i am usually in one of my work trucks. But my wife commutes an hour each way. She needs fuel economy. Right now she is driving an awd escape but we are looking for a car for her to reduce fuel cost.

I agree many people dont want sedans. But the imports still sell plenty of them. I dont need a sedan personally i rarley drive my own vehicle i am usually in one of my work trucks. But my wife commutes an hour each way. She needs fuel economy. Right now she is driving an awd escape but we are looking for a car for her to reduce fuel cost.
The range of something like a bolt would be perfect, although she may not want something that small. I could see GM and Ford coming out with "escape sized electrics " in the near future. Id go for something like that, if it had anywhere near the Bolts range.

The range of something like a bolt would be perfect, although she may not want something that small. I could see GM and Ford coming out with "escape sized electrics " in the near future. Id go for something like that, if it had anywhere near the Bolts range.
Yeah not sure what we will get yet. We will be keeping the escape for bad weather so it will probably be a cheap little beater for now atleast.

I am eager to see what electrification accomplishes for the "fuel" question with SUVs and trucks. I know they will use more but I wonder how much more on average.

I am thinking the crossover BEV or PHEV will be the new sedan.

Id be thrilled with half the range of the bolt in a larger SUV or Pickup truck. Since large vehicles use the lions share of the fuel they offer the most fuel savings. Iv read that simple MPG advances in pickup trucks ,save way more fuel than all the pruises on the road simply because of the numbers of trucks on the road.

Reactions: spirilis