Big Hoot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
I hope Craig doesn't ban me for picking on his (Goooooooogle's) advertisers, but I always get a big hoot out of this picture that's on a manufacturers' website. I've never seen a more unrealistic depiction of wood heat than this, particularly on the scale that's being promoted. Or maybe it's just me.

Attachments

• yukon.jpg
    yukon.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 683
Your furnace isn't the aesthetic centerpiece of your house?

Steve

Yeah, more like:

Mom: Gee Ward, I've been putting logs in this box all day, and still no fire. I just don't understand it. Maybe when Wally gets back from Boy Scouts he can start a fire for us. Now Beaver, you stop playing on that floor, you'll ruin your new corduroy pants.

Good Grief. When the neighbors show up with a shotgun because you are smoking out the neighborhood, and you just used up the last fire extinguisher in the house putting out the fire in the dust-buster because your wife used it to suck up some embers that came out of your new wood furnace... THEN you'll know the feeling :)

Well, when I was doing research for my stove, I scanned the gammit of sites. Sometime look at the Tulikivi site to see some of the pictures there. Think that represents the mainstream of wood burners? That said, I do think all those pictures are of real fireplaces and those things do heat homes. I've seen many folks pictures on this site that show very nice installations. Now that said, I don't see too many folks here with white carpet and a furnace in the middle. That seems sort of unrealistic.

The implication is pretty clear: All your beautiful wife has to do is put one little piece of wood into this immaculate appliance and your house will stay nice and warm!

Where's the wood pile? Where's the ash can? Where, for Christ's sake, is the poker? Why isn't that woman wearing gloves? What will she do when she opens the fuel loading door and the thing blows up in her face?

I've done wood-fired central heat for decades and believe me, I've never had an installation that looked anything like this one.

I got to get one of thoses. Only uses one log at a time
No a wife that actually feed my wood stove. .. My boiler room never looked that good? Most people have wide screen TV entertainment systems, but to have a wood furnace as your focal point? I have to get wood where there is no bark.
no messing up the floor. Is that white rug? She does not even need a welding glove?

Mike Wilson said:
Yeah, more like:

Mom: Gee Ward, I've been putting logs in this box all day, and still no fire. I just don't understand it. Maybe when Wally gets back from Boy Scouts he can start a fire for us. Now Beaver, you stop playing on that floor, you'll ruin your new corduroy pants.

Good Grief. When the neighbors show up with a shotgun because you are smoking out the neighborhood, and you just used up the last fire extinguisher in the house putting out the fire in the dust-buster because your wife used it to suck up some embers that came out of your new wood furnace... THEN you'll know the feeling :)

I'm sorry folks...This post about putting logs in this box all day just killed me.... My mind really went down hill real fast.

Well it's not a very big piece of wood. What do you expect? Can you compensate for small wood with technique?

Mike Wilson said:
I knew it wouldn't be lost! Crossed my mind while typing it, and thought, what the hell, hit submit (here we go again) and see who bites.

It worked...

O.k. Mike you went fishing....I bought it hook, line, and sinker...Yup...that's me...mind in the gutter. Oh well, I still thought it was funny. Thanks for the laugh.

you can't knock it, it must very efficient. after all it runs with electric and oil lines.

Guyz:

Depending on what the "Gooooooogle" search turned up ('Big Hoot'), the wood burning furnace may not be the "item of interest".

Aye,
Marty

Grandpa used to say, "A woodburner simply waits for the innocent. But, it actually stalks the ignorant, the careless or the arrogant."

Eric Johnson said:
Well it's not a very big piece of wood. What do you expect? Can you compensate for small wood with technique?

I'm sure Eddy Haskle could fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.