big maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce56bb

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2005
Flint Hills of Kansas
a pic of a big maple brought down by high winds last night. might be the thickest maple i have ever seen. i drive by this tree regularly, but never noticed how big it was until it was on the ground. it is close to 6' in diameter.

Attachments

• tree 1008.jpg
    tree 1008.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 645
  • tree1009.jpg
    tree1009.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 602
Big bastid, fo sho.

You don't want to be standing anywhere near that root mass when they disconnect it from the trunk.

What they save on the stump grinding, they're gonna have to pay to have it hauled away.

bruce56bb said:
a pic of a big maple brought down by high winds last night. might be the thickest maple i have ever seen. i drive by this tree regularly, but never noticed how big it was until it was on the ground. it is close to 6' in diameter.

Gulp!

Without the benefit of a full view, Corie, I'd estimate about 4. That's purely theoretical, of course, since it would involve reducing it to splits, which would probably be next to impossible, IMO.

O' Yeah Baby ! I can see the "HEAT" of of that one . Good excuse to up grade a chainsaw if not one is had for that size already . "THATS" one of the big reasons i bought a large size chainsaw to add to "team Husqvarna" Most people would walk away from a tree of that size . I dont have to now . I would have to agree with Eric with at least 4 cords . There is a lot of wood in them there limbs too buddy. Let the homeowner know "you can help" them out . We want to see the pile when your done .

Just look at that root system, no wonder. A tree that big, surviving on roots that small my guess the ground is clay, and the property fertilized, and may have an automatic watering system. The tree didn't put effort into its roots because everything it needed was right there in abundant supply so why bother. My guess anyway, beautiful tree too.

Species: Maple / Relative Heat: HIGH / Easy to Burn: YES / Heavy Smoke?: NO / Throw Sparks?: NO / General Rating: Excelent / Million BTU's - cord: 24.0 / Weight lbs/cord : GREEN-5300lbs ,

I still see green leaves. Go over and recommend that they stand it back up and stake it. (ha ha)

Hard maple is a lot better fuel than soft maple, Roos. My guess is that tree is hard maple, though it's difficult to tell by just looking at the bark on any tree that old/big. Soft maple splits a lot easier, though.

rhone, from the looks of the house and yard i'm not buying your theory about the fertilizer:).
ej, i think its a silver maple(soft).
should i grab my husky 51 w/18" bar and get after it(j/k)?

Way too much work for the wood, IMO. Yard trees are notoriously hard to split and they're full of metal. And, you'd need a lot bigger bar than 18" to even think about tackling that momma.

Eric Johnson said:
Way too much work for the wood, IMO. Yard trees are notoriously hard to split and they're full of metal. And, you'd need a lot bigger bar than 18" to even think about tackling that momma.

Yep. In my version of heaven there is nothing but forest grown, straight as an arrow beech and red oak.

Score...Big time...I am with Roos on that one...80ccs...looks like it might be silver maple...Looks like possible bucks to remove and the wood..I would ask a few questions..I got some pieces at the dump the two weekends ago around 36 inches..Park the truck right next to it...

Ok you two Paul Bunyons, how the hell ya gonna split something like that? I am thinking V-shaped snow plow blade on the front of my 454 Suburban. 70 mph at impact. In place, in those people yard because hauling rounds home ain't an option.

After thinking about it, I realized that there's a lot more to that tree than the trunk. Blinded by its awesome size, I guess. If you can get your hands on some of the upper branchwood, then it's worth the effort. But like BB says, you can forget about doing anything useful with that main stem.

BrotherBart said:
Ok you two Paul Bunyons, how the hell ya gonna split something like that? I am thinking V-shaped snow plow blade on the front of my 454 Suburban. 70 mph at impact. In place, in those people yard because hauling rounds home ain't an option.

Hey BB,

As my French Canadian Brother in Law says to me in French...Mathieu I cuts, splits and stacks 5 cords a day.....no spark plug......

What is the guestimate for a tree service to remove?

Vintage 181 said:
Hey BB,

As my French Canadian Brother in Law says to me in French...Mathieu I cuts, splits and stacks 5 cords a day.....no spark plug......

What is the guestimate for a tree service to remove?

Tell the Bro-In-Law that lying in French is still, well, lying.

I estimate around $3,500 to $5,000 for a licensed and bonded legit tree service to do it. We are talking crane loading here. Several hundred an hour for crane and four or five axle rig with a float trailer.

The hell of it is that since the house wasn't touched the homeowners insurance won't pay a dime.

Since the tree is down already, That's a HUGE savings. A pro tree service with the right tools (Clam truck, BIG chipper that can chip up to 15'' rounds, big saws ,etc.) should be able to remove that tree for less then $2000,in my area.

No as how to split those big rounds. You have to cut them in length of choice, then cut them again into 4 quarter pieces. Next you man handle them into the spliter. I have split some up to about 3 to 3 1/2 wide. It's not fun but what can you do? You just can't let that wood go.

Come on over here please. I had thirty six trees downed by a hurricane and the best estimate I got was five hundred a tree. None anywhere near the class/bulk of that dude. To cut'em up and bring them up to the yard. They will all end up as firewood as I can get to them or end up nourishing whatever other trees that are around them.

She is on the ground....Vertical splitter will pop those big pieces..50 bucks a day rental around here... be work jurying it around ...If someone offered me two grand and the wood to clean everything I would do it...let them take care of the stump...

Good point. Sitting a round that is larger than the pickup truck in the picture up for a vertical split is easy. Go for it with a fifty buck a day splitter! I am just a wimp, eh.

i'll try and keep an eye on the removal operation and keep ya posted. no way in hell do i want any piece of those rounds. last winter i had some 3' white oak to split.had to nose the chainsaw in and then halve them with the wedges just so i could moose 'em onto the splitter. way more mass than i should've tackled, but it was the holy grail of wood,white oak(bur).

Dont look like its going to sit long from the pictures ............. to me it looks like the top is in the street ? ( past the side walk ) When i cut larger trees closer to this size the smaller the pie slices get so you can handle the wood rounds better . Cut every slice 12"-14" Take the splitter over there , set it up vertical and and pop them slices into 4 and load them up . Offer to take it all out but the brush ( saving them $1200 ) This is the mid-west people , tree service is a lot cheaper here than in the East or West coasts . Cost of living is a lot cheaper , "A lot cheaper" .No power lines here with this tree, the tree is already down , no danger . You could do this tree with a smaller chainsaw ( 56 cc ) but dont expect the 56 cc chainsaw to last much longer after this hog . I bought a NEW Poulan Pro chainsaw 330 ( 56 cc ) with a 22" bar and cut a lot of 4' - 4.5' wide solid white and red OAK with it one year . ( 16 cords worth just off the trunks ) The chainsaw was toast after that. Where is this "beast" of a tree located at anyway ?

Status
Not open for further replies.