Big Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
Will flat out wear you out. I havn't even put a dent into the oak I cut and it is putting a whooping on me. It's about all I can do to split and stack 5 rounds in a 3 hour period. Each round is 200 pounds or better and each split seems to weigh 10 pounds a piece. lol

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 206.jpg
    bearded asil hen 206.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 191
those are some big oak pieces but once they are dry in 3 years you will be thankful for all the hard work, you will be able to fill the stove and walk away for hour and hours and have great heat

That will make some great firewood in a few years.

Wish I had your problem LOL :)
No "violin music " from Alaska when you are getting several cords of oak ::P

Awesome picture ;)
Serious BTUs in that stack !

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
Suck it up,get mad with it,show that oak who's boss.

I'm old now & still dont let those gnarly old beasts shove me around....Take frequent breaks,quit when you get tired for safety's sake & stay well hydrated. Its well worth all the effort you'll find out.You'll sleep good too after those long days wrestling that stuff around...

Man Tim, that's a good looking row of oak! Love the leaves and fence-row tyoe setting also. A lot of work but that will be some great fuel down the road. Did you split it all by hand? Either way, nice work.

Thistle, I'm real old. It won't get me but ya definately have to work harder for the prize.

AJ, I hand split alot of wood this year, but this stuff got the old log splitter put to it.

Suck it up,get mad with it,show that oak who's boss.

I'm old now & still dont let those gnarly old beasts shove me around....Take frequent breaks,quit when you get tired for safety's sake & stay well hydrated. Its well worth all the effort you'll find out.You'll sleep good too after those long days wrestling that stuff around...

That's how I do it. Wife knows I put in some serious effort when I'm snoozing in my recliner around 9pm or so.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Looking good, Timmy! Show dat oak whos da boss.......You stay with it now, you'll be done before you know it.

It'll all be worth it in a couple years when you are chucking that good stuff in that stove and the snows a-blowin' outside...

Status
Not open for further replies.