BIG ol' Hornet Nest on my Chimney Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dskup

Oct 4, 2007
Minnesota
Howdy folks,

Earlier this year I finished the install of my Quad 7100. I got preoccupied with finishing the inside of my home addition, and did not notice (until recently) the basketball-sized baldface hornet nest that appeared on the side of my chimney cap. The cap is 30 ft. off the ground, and about 7ft. above the peak of a 12/12 pitch roof... in other words, not a place you want to attempt to reach in the middle of a Minnesota winter!

After burning for a couple of months, I noticed my galvanized chimney cap (about a 14" dia. round diffuser) is black. The top of the hornet nest looks to be smoldering just a little bit. What I'm trying to figure out is:

a) Is the nest contributing to the charring on the cap, or am I doing something wrong when burning? So far I've burned only 2-year seasoned oak, birch, and maple, and I usually burn it fairly hot. But of course the fire usually smolders in the morning before I wake up. Why am I getting so much soot at the top of the chimney?

b) What are the odds that this nest just spontaneously combusts and falls off, laying a ball of fire on my roof?

Not your typical wood burners dilemna!

If anyone out there is thinking about getting a 7100, I highly recommend it. I've burned for many years with a workhorse Fisher stove, but it doesn't come close to the burn performance or efficiency of this unit. So far I'm very pleased.

Dan

A picture of this would be most worth while. I really have no advice though as what you should do. It seems best to try and knock it down with freezing temps now.

Got slingshot? or a pole? I'd knock it off as soon as possible for peace of mind.

even if it did turn into a flaming fireball on your roof, i'd think the lightness / lack of density of a hornet's nest, plus the frigid temps, plus the pitch of the roof would make it not pose a big problem.

but it ain't my house. i'd say it looks awesome from CT. good luck :)

Thanks for the replies. I will post a pic soon. I get quite a few hornets nests around here, but this seems like a strange place to build.

A few weeks ago, before the snow started, I got up on a 22 foot ladder and a tried to use a 20' section of pvc to knock it off. But the pipe was too flexible to have any control. I couldn't find anything stiff enough. Basically I need to assemble the long hook ladder and climb the roof. Not fun. So for the time being, I'm banking that the density, snow, and pitch will make a fire unlikely. But I'm still keeping a somewhat nervous eye on it.

I used the SL400 air-cooled chimney system. Hopefully this is not contributing to my sooty chimney cap.

I'd knock it down for peace of mind. How's your throwing arm? Better question, even if you're a great shot, what are your chances of knocking the hornet's nest off the chimney cap without disturbing the chimney cap? Betcha' can't do it. Post a video.

Hell, just throw a half gallon of gas into your stove when its burning. The flame shooting up your stack will vaporize it. ;-)

Uh, that IS A JOKE for anyone who may be challenged in the humor dept.

Get it out of there. If its smoldering at any point, its just a spark away from combustion. I don't know about you, but betting that a flaming fireball on my roof "ain't gonna cause any problems" is not something I would risk in any way. My $.03 (inflation you know).

SAVE THE HORNETS, SAVE THE HORNETS , SAVE THE HORNETS!!!!!!!!!! THERE MAY STILL BE SURVIVORS. Now watch some super enviro nut come along and get an injunction. Only kidding, hornets suck no matter where you find them. I have knocked a couple down with a 12 gauge but me thinks that's not quite appropriate in your situation.

I love nests like that...

...to stand off with a paint ball gun and blast 'em a couple time a day for a month.

The black around your cap is normal even if you have no creosote build up. You just have to make sure there is no buildup on screen etc. You do not mention if you have a screen on your cap. If you clean from down below and have no screen the nest might come off with some good brush strokes. Other wise I would devise a method to remove the nest. You will probably have a use in the future for removing obstructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.