Bigger saw: Dolmar or Stihl?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LEES WOOD-CO said:
"Often times I find that many people make up for bad filing and bar dressing with a more power"

Agreed 100%.

Yes, and also often results in bars getting chucked when saws cut cockeyed, and carburetors getting plugged with dust - since dull chains make dust instead of chips.

I had the benefit of working as a Stihl mechanic at several John Deere dealerships. We had piles of bars that customers said were NG. Now, 30 years later, I'm still using them.

The odd thing is that learning to file a chain well and dress a bar is not all that difficult, nor are the tools to do so all that expensive. Certainly good filing skills take practice, but it is something any competent saw owner should be able to do reasonably well.

Good advice from those that do.... nice stuff.

Maybe it is time for a summary of saw, chain, and bar care.

1. Touch up the edge and rakers ? Stump vise, and the PFERD SharpForce system.
2. Rotate the bar, file and clean. The check for a smooth, straight running surface ?
3. Oil flow to the bar and chain ?
4. Chain tension ?
5. Filter clean ?
6. Fresh mix with mid-octane ( 89 ) fuel with oil top off ?

Sounds busy, yet it takes no more than a few minutes after you get into a routine with practice. It is one of the reasons I've gone down (!) to smaller saws and bars.......besides saving the old back. And, dull chains are dangerous, take too much time to cut, strain the engine.

You don't wnat to use PPE, fine. Then sign a release that we taxpayers don't have to shell out the $$$$ to pay for your evacuation, EMT and ER care.

jd,seal, and dwneast are all giving some really good advice here.One pro model saw wood last the average homeowner a lifetime if this advice was followed. 1 or 2 bars should easily last a lifetime of wood cutting for the average Joe if a saw is properly maintained.Learning how to properly file a saw is not that difficult. It wood save a guy TONS of $$$$$$$ to offer an experienced logger $30 for an hour of his time to learn how to sharpen and maintain a saw properly. What does a new bar cost these days?
When you guys get real good and master the "logger hook" when hand filing your chains, you'll feel like Darth Vader with a light saber cutting 20" rounds! It really isn't all that hard after you have been shown the proper angles.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
jd,seal, and dwneast are all giving some really good advice here.One pro model saw wood last the average homeowner a lifetime if this advice was followed. 1 or 2 bars should easily last a lifetime of wood cutting for the average Joe if a saw is properly maintained.Learning how to properly file a saw is not that difficult. It wood save a guy TONS of $$$$$$$ to offer an experienced logger $30 for an hour of his time to learn how to sharpen and maintain a saw properly. What does a new bar cost these days?
When you guys get real good and master the "logger hook" when hand filing your chains, you'll feel like Darth Vader with a light saber cutting 20" rounds! It really isn't all that hard after you have been shown the proper angles.
Sounds like a great thread there got any pic's? could be real helpful!

smokinj said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
Sounds like a great thread there got any pic's? could be real helpful!

Glad you asked, good ?? . You win nothing however.
Go to these sites:
Oregon Chains
ArboristSite
Stihl.
Husqvarna.

Oregon has a super little booklet with ALL the chains they do sell, but many pics and tips of how to sharpen. Get it at your local pro dealer.
ArbotistSite is our fav. Plenty of pics, info, and hard fun words for "newbies". Take the heat, it's all part of the game of learning. A good model for all the virtual online "experts" here who take themselves much too seriously......IMHO. :lol:

I mostly agree with the smaller saw argument, with the exception of the Dolmar 7900 - Since it's the SAME saw as the 6400, except for the P&C;, I think it's a pretty good deal - you get 80cc class saw power, while staying in the 60cc saw weight range (albeit the heavy end of it)

I run my 7900 w/ a 20" bar 95% of the time, though I have a 28" that I can mount for the occasional "super-size me" trunks.

That said, if I had the chance to replace my Pull-on w/ a 5100 Dolmar for the right money, I'd jump on it - and I suspect the 5100 might be my prefered saw for limbing and small trunks, probably w/ a 16-18" bar.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.