Bigger stove or second stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You'll have to decide what works best and looks best in your home. That's not much of a discount for a floor model T5 if it's already been fired unless it's enameled. If black painted I'd offer $2000 cash.

So the BK princess is still 2500 and can't be picked up till spring of 2019. The PE alderlea T5 is2300 and can be picked up anytime. I've got a line on an older HS mansfield in real nice shape for 600.
I think you meant spring 2018..lot of homes in cold climates being heated with Princess..I had no trouble maintaing 80 in the stove room on those -30 windchill mornings we recently had...I will not lie...I burnt more wood and ran the fans on the stove but she kept right on cranking out the heat for hours on end..I am heating just shy of 2k sq ft of leaky house....I know nothing of the other stoves mentioned....but I do know that the BK Princess will get it done.

The t5 is enameled. Some mojica yada nonsense. And no, I meant 2019. That's what the dealer told me. So I've scrapped that idea of the princess. Can't see shelling out that kind of money for two or three season fired stove.

So as of now I'm not totally sure what route I will take. Our endeavor heats fairly well except for the sub zero weather. I was able to put my hands on a nc30 this weekend at home Depot. Seems for the price to be a really well made stove. As of now I think we would likely go the route of a larger stove. If we buy new, I'm torn between the nc30 and ht2000. Unless I come across something much nicer used for less money or about the same. Such as that $600 Mansfield. That I think is too big for the space we have to put it unfortunately....

The t5 is enameled. Some mojica yada nonsense. And no, I meant 2019. That's what the dealer told me. So I've scrapped that idea of the princess. Can't see shelling out that kind of money for two or three season fired stove.

So as of now I'm not totally sure what route I will take. Our endeavor heats fairly well except for the sub zero weather. I was able to put my hands on a nc30 this weekend at home Depot. Seems for the price to be a really well made stove. As of now I think we would likely go the route of a larger stove. If we buy new, I'm torn between the nc30 and ht2000. Unless I come across something much nicer used for less money or about the same. Such as that $600 Mansfield. That I think is too big for the space we have to put it unfortunately....
That sucks!

FYI The majolica finish adds about $400 to the value of the T5 so their price is sounding better. If it has a blower, that adds another $300.

The 30NC has a great track record and heats very well. The HT2000 has a tougher baffle, ember protection only hearth, and it's also a little taller for easier loading. While looking you might consider the Englander Madison 50SSW01 which has most of these attributes also.

Reactions: Roadranger
Holy carp... a $300 blower? Is it gold plated? Is it something more than just a squirrel cage fan in a sheet metal box?

I think I paid just over $100 for the blower kit on each of my BK’s.

OEM blowers are all crazy expensive for what they are.

A $10 fan blowing across the top of the stove does a better job anyway.

Holy carp... a $300 blower? Is it gold plated? Is it something more than just a squirrel cage fan in a sheet metal box?

I think I paid just over $100 for the blower kit on each of my BK’s.

I've been getting quotes around $350+tax (over $400) for BK Ashford Blowers around here. I feel gouged since they were giving them away last year with the stoves.

I've been getting quotes around $350+tax (over $400) for BK Ashford Blowers around here. I feel gouged since they were giving them away last year with the stoves.

I paid $315 + tax for the fans when I bought my Ashford this summer.

I paid $315 + tax for the fans when I bought my Ashford this summer.

That is just crazy. I’ll have to pull out my receipt, when I have the time, but I remember paying about $120 for each of my BK Ashford fan sets.

That is just crazy. I’ll have to pull out my receipt, when I have the time, but I remember paying about $120 for each of my BK Ashford fan sets.

Not to derail things too much but, I think there is a problem with too many middlemen sometimes. I think there are a lot of business's stuck in the past with antiquated business models that rely too much on wholesalers and distribution that just isn't necessary in this day and age. We often get it worse in Canada, where many products are subject to an extra middle man or two since distribution often flows thru the USA first. Sometimes even when something is made in Canada you pay more here than the US. Maybe some the middlemen need to re-evaluate the value they add and whether the markups they charge are appropriate.

In my case BK could make more money on each fan kit by having a web store where they sell their own accessories for a fair price. BK could sell the kit direct for $150 and probably make more money on each one sold than they do right now. (I bet there selling it for less than $100 to the distributor).

I'm picking on BK here, but I'm complaining about things in general:
I bought an ECM motor for my furnace fan for $200 this year (off Amazon), all the local contractors wanted $800-$1000 for the exact same part. Insanity!
Just picked up Grundfos Alpha ECM pump for my hydronic heating system. I got the pump for $215 online, but the going rate when I phoned around to get it locally was $500 to $600.
Long term business can't survive if customers can't afford their goods and services. Seems like anytime I want a HVAC part, the cost is double/triple to get it locally (and that's not including an installation labor, which I generally do myself). If I get it locally I usually have to wait longer for the part to come in. If I order it online, I have it in a day or two.

Last edited:
nothing new- been that way for years. HVAC companies are about the worst. They tend to have you on the short leash as your generally calling them with a problem that needs immediate attention. Course even with new construction they dig awfully deep into the wallet. As with a lot of things avg. mr or mrs can't do there own service work (not to mention pulling permits for just about everything short of blinking your eye nowdays) so fall prey to the exorbitant pricing.

Reactions: SuperJ
I've thought very seriously about getting a blower for my endeavor. But I can't seem to come up with one for less than $300. And at that price I'm a third of my way to a bigger stove that already has a blower.

I don't remember now if they said the T5 has a blower as well. I'll have to check my messages. How does the T5 stack up against my endeavor?