Biggest freestanding wood stove with ember protection only?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davo

Apr 24, 2015
CT
Hello all! I am looking for a free standing wood stove. I was currently looking at the Summers Heat madison- 2,000 sq ft wood stove and really like the close clearances and ember protection only. Does anyone know of any bigger wood stoves with ember protection only and with close clearances? It will be a corner install and the Summers Heat only needs 5.5 inches from the each corner of the stove because it has the side shields.

Thanks all for your response!

Excuse my ignorance as I'm rather new here. But by 'ember protection only', I think you mean simply a non-combustible hearth pad, with no insulating quality required? If so, I am in the process of installing a HearthStone Green Mountain 60, rated up to 2,000 sq ft, and the manual says to use a 'non-combustible hearth material' and 'does NOT require an insulated hearth pad'. I pulled up the manual on the GM80 (bigger stove), and it says the same thing.
They both have corner clearances of 7" - not as good as 5.5", but not too bad.

Side note - is it just me, or is there a disproportionate number of Connecticut residents on hearth forum? :)

Reactions: Gearhead660
Hello all! I am looking for a free standing wood stove. I was currently looking at the Summers Heat madison- 2,000 sq ft wood stove and really like the close clearances and ember protection only. Does anyone know of any bigger wood stoves with ember protection only and with close clearances? It will be a corner install and the Summers Heat only needs 5.5 inches from the each corner of the stove because it has the side shields.

The largest would probably be the blazeking king and the regency 5200

Drolet has a few large stoves. The HT3000, Austral and Myriad. The corner clearances are not as tight as the summers heat. Adding wall protection/shield will open up the options immensely.

Drolet has a few large stoves. The HT3000, Austral and Myriad. The corner clearances are not as tight as the summers heat. Adding wall protection/shield will open up the options immensely.
No wall shielding will not reduce clearances on most stoves beyond the specified clearances.

Reactions: Highbeam
@davo, when you are asking for the biggest, is this cost without object? Is an 8" flue requirement ok or should 6" flue be another constraint? This is a corner installation, right?

7" corner clearance on the Drolet HT-3000 with double wall pipe, 7.25" with single wall connector. Very large usable firebox. I'm trilled with mine so far

Thank you all for the quick responses. In regards to CT, everything is so expensive here we have to burn wood!!!

I should have said a price range. I appreciate all of your responses and will look into each one. I am trying to keep the cost of the stove to around the same price of the Summers Heat, around 1k and under. Do any of these match up?

Also. I prefer a 6 in. Was going to go either Selkirk or duravent double/triple wall through the wall. Unfortunately can't do through the ceiling installation.

Reactions: tabner
Under a thousand is going to eliminate 95% if not more of options. I would shop around for the best price on a Drolet HT3000. This stove and its predecessor, the HT2000 have a good track record.

Under a thousand is going to eliminate 95% if not more of options. I would shop around for the best price on a Drolet HT3000. This stove and its predecessor, the HT2000 have a good track record.

Thank you begreen for that info. Yeah trying to keep the stove price around 1k. Appreciate it! The nearest dealer to me for drolet is about 45 miles away. Something to think about!

Follow up question or maybe I'll start a new thread...

How do people like the Summers Heat 2,000 sq ft Madison stove? I tried to find some reviews on here but couldn't find much!!!!

I looked at one at Lowe's last year, was not impressed. Air control had very little adjustment to it, seemed flimsy. Door racked on it's hinges as the door was latched. It just seemed like a cheaply made product, not worth the cost in my opinion.

I looked at one at Lowe's last year, was not impressed. Air control had very little adjustment to it, seemed flimsy. Door racked on it's hinges as the door was latched. It just seemed like a cheaply made product, not worth the cost in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it!

Does anyone have this stove/or used it before? Curious about the items Sailrmike noted.

How do people like the Summers Heat 2,000 sq ft Madison stove? I tried to find some reviews on here but couldn't find much!!!!
There are a lot of reports on the Madison, right from its introduction. Search for Englander Madison and SW01. It's a decent heater, not my fave, but it would get the job done. There were some early production issues with the start air timer, but they seem to have gotten that taken care of. Seasoned Oak has had one for awhile now.

There are a lot of reports on the Madison, right from its introduction. Search for Englander Madison and SW01. It's a decent heater, not my fave, but it would get the job done. There were some early production issues with the start air timer, but they seem to have gotten that taken care of. Seasoned Oak has had one for awhile now.

Thanks for that begreen!

I've got the Summers Heat Madison, I'm very fond of it thus far, although I'm sure there are other better heaters out there for what you are looking for. For $799.00 from Lowes I haven't had any issues whatsoever. It does throw big heat!

I've burned good wood, I've burned moderately good wood, and so far this year I've gotten some good burn times out of anything other than yellow poplar. 8-10 hour reloads, ember protection and being that it sets up a little taller helps for when we all get a little years on us.

If you have any other questions regarding this wood burner, please do not hesitate to shoot me a message. I've researched these things to death and for the money I think they do what they are intended to do.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I have the Big madison 2400 Model which is quite different from the 2000 SW01. The 2000 has none of the door and stove body warpage common to the 2400. I have since mostly corrected the overheating inadvertently by installing a SS Chimney cap which reduced the draft to the extent the stove hasnt overheated since.

have you considered going used? 1k budget will stretch a lot further and with the housing market the way it is there are new options popping up with some level of regularity

not sure where in CT you are but there is a Jotul f55 on facebook marketplace for ~1k in Litchfield County

My best friend has one on my recommendation and is generally thrilled with it. I does like dry wood to burn clean but can get pretty hot with too many small pieces. The only reason he didnt get the larger Big Madison 2400 like i have is because of the Door warpage issues.

I have the Summer Heat Madison in my 700 sq ft cabin. I must qualify my remarks by saying this stove only gets used for a few weeks per year as its at a deer camp that gets shut down after end of November / early Dec. I am really impressed with the heat it puts out. We often end up opening windows to keep from getting overly warm. I will say burn times are not overnight length, however there enough coals to restart on them without building a new fire from scratch. Also, I dont stuff the firebox to it's maximum capacity, dont know why the idea just makes me nervous. I love the large glass area for viewing, have not had any quality issues at all.