Biomass Federal Tax Credit 2017?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Fwiiw... if you live in the great state of Massachusetts

Dear Residents,

The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC), in coordination with the Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources (DOER), is offering a new round of funding through the Commonwealth Wood Stove Change-Out Program.

Any Massachusetts resident or business currently operating a non-EPA-certified wood stove or fireplace insert is eligible for a rebate of up to $1,750 when replacing an existing stove with an eligible model. Those who meet certain income requirements are eligible for rebates of up to $3,000.

If you own an old wood stove and would like to replace it with a new, low-emission EPA-certified wood or pellet stove, visit MassCEC’s website to find out more. You will need to contact a local stove professional who will confirm that your old stove is eligible and submit a rebate application on your behalf after installing your new stove. Act now to make sure you don’t miss the August 22nd application deadline!

Thank you for your interest in the Commonwealth Woodstove Change-Out Program.

Warm Regards,

The MassCEC Woodstove Team
Massachusetts Clean Energy Center
63 Franklin St, 3rd Floor, Boston, MA 02110
Telephone: 617-712-1109

[snip]

Think about this. In June 2009, the official end of the recession, the estimated vehicle miles traveled was 256.7 billion and June 2016 it was 282.3 billion. Retail sales of gasoline were 50,420,000 and 26,711,000 gallons per day, respectively. So we're traveling 10% more miles on almost half the gasoline. Diesel sales have slowed, but not nearly as dramatically, which have only declined by 500,000 gallons per day.

A lot of this is people finally getting rid of their pre-2004 (or whatever year) vehicles and buying new(er) ones over the last 5 years.
[snip]

Could you explain a little more on where those gasoline numbers came from? I went to the EIA website and found this chart for total motor gasoline sales. The June 2009 daily sales number is 377,793,000 gallons and the June 2016 number is 389,669,000. So a slight increase in gasoline sales, not a decrease.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=C100000001&f=M

Screenshot (90).jpg

Could you explain a little more on where those gasoline numbers came from? I went to the EIA website and found this chart for total motor gasoline sales. The June 2009 daily sales number is 377,793,000 gallons and the June 2016 number is 389,669,000. So a slight increase in gasoline sales, not a decrease.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=C100000001&f=M

View attachment 196266

Hmm, good catch. Sorry all. My mistake was clicking the wrong link - appears I clicked on refiner retail sales, which is only a portion of the retail market.

Usually those state rebates on wood stoves are funded by fines on large industrial polluters, they get discount on the overall fine if they contribute to fund to reduce pollution.

I believe VW is going to be something like that on big scale as part of their settlement but probably not for wood stoves

Fwiiw... if you live in the great state of Massachusetts

Dear Residents,

The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC), in coordination with the Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources (DOER), is offering a new round of funding through the Commonwealth Wood Stove Change-Out Program.

Any Massachusetts resident or business currently operating a non-EPA-certified wood stove or fireplace insert is eligible for a rebate of up to $1,750 when replacing an existing stove with an eligible model. Those who meet certain income requirements are eligible for rebates of up to $3,000.

If you own an old wood stove and would like to replace it with a new, low-emission EPA-certified wood or pellet stove, visit MassCEC’s website to find out more. You will need to contact a local stove professional who will confirm that your old stove is eligible and submit a rebate application on your behalf after installing your new stove. Act now to make sure you don’t miss the August 22nd application deadline!

Thank you for your interest in the Commonwealth Woodstove Change-Out Program.

Warm Regards,

The MassCEC Woodstove Team
Massachusetts Clean Energy Center
63 Franklin St, 3rd Floor, Boston, MA 02110
Telephone: 617-712-1109

My father in law in MA just got all their lightbulbs replaced with fluorescent bulbs for free, now free stoves? Does that count if you add an insert into a fireplace?

My father in law in MA just got all their lightbulbs replaced with fluorescent bulbs for free, now free stoves? Does that count if you add an insert into a fireplace?

He qualifies if he currently has a non-epa insert or stove. I suppose one could acquire an old non-epa insert an slam it in there just to get the rebate, but that is probably fraud, or damned near it.

Usually those state rebates on wood stoves are funded by fines on large industrial polluters, they get discount on the overall fine if they contribute to fund to reduce pollution.

I believe VW is going to be something like that on big scale as part of their settlement but probably not for wood stoves

Correct. Connecticut had a very generous one a few years ago. It was all over the news and they said it was from fines from power plants out west.