Birch ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzyk

Oct 24, 2008
schoharie county ny
I received some birch in my load of wood, but its not white like the birch I'm familiar with. Anybody know what it might be and how well it burns?

Attachments

• birch1.JPG
    birch1.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 467
  • birch2.JPG
    birch2.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 483
LLigetfa said:
BTU better than White, not as good as Black.

http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

That wood is about 1/3 of my wood supply. Smaller splits are great start-up pieces, and it split easy. Larger ones are good too but not as good as some of my other species, so I split most of it smaller for good starts.

Get it split and stacked right away so its ready for next winter. Buns nice, but takes awhile to dry.

Good stufff, right up there with red oak as long as it's dry. Takes less time to dry than Oak or Maple.

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to identify all the wood I got and this was one of the few I didn't know. Most of this wood will be for the 2010-2011 season (I'll probably need about a cord of it next year).

never seen yellow birch before but to me that looks just like cherry

smokinj said:

Looks like Bird Cherry but not black Cherry for certain. Yellow Birch - the bark will exfoliate [peel]. Black/Sweet Birch looks like it quite a bit but that bark does not exfoliate.

CTwoodburner said:
smokinj said:

Looks like Bird Cherry but not black Cherry for certain. Yellow Birch - the bark will exfoliate [peel]. Black/Sweet Birch looks like it quite a bit but that bark does not exfoliate.
guess i could have cut it before and thought i was cutting cherry

smokinj said:

Yes it certainly does resemble cherry in a way. I doubt if you have any yellow birch in your area though. I can be wrong too.

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinj said:

Yes it certainly does resemble cherry in a way. I doubt if you have any yellow birch in your area though. I can be wrong too.
I sure your right I would have bet the farm on that being cherry

smokinj said:
I sure your right I would have bet the farm on that being cherry
I'm very certain we don't have any Cherry around here but we do have lots of Birch that looks just like that. That bronze coloured bark and yellow wood is a dead giveaway.

smokinj,
It is yellow birch. I have some of the cherry that you are talking about but I also have one of those yellow birch on my place I just did not know what it was until I followed the one link ( http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/commontr/yellowbi.htm ). It kind of resembles the sweet cherry we have but it has the little cones and leaves like the one in the link. I've only been wondering about 20 years but not inspired to search but now I know. Wish I had twenty or thirty of them now.

Cave2k said:
smokinj,
It is yellow birch. I have some of the cherry that you are talking about but I also have one of those yellow birch on my place I just did not know what it was until I followed the one link ( http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/commontr/yellowbi.htm ). It kind of resembles the sweet cherry we have but it has the little cones and leaves like the one in the link. I've only been wondering about 20 years but not inspired to search but now I know. Wish I had twenty or thirty of them now.
the leaves are much different

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinj said:

You're wrong! :cheese:

That's normal!

Backwoods Savage said:
That's normal!
No, this is the only time I can think of you're wrong. Or am I wrong? :lol:

Ask my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.