Birds in chimney- recommendation on bird "proof" cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjorn773

Sep 12, 2007
Rockford, Illinois
Hello, I have a Blazeking Princess with a 6 inch ID supervent chimney and cap. I have been having problems for several years with birds in the chimney. I have had 4 live birds in the last 2 weeks and 1 that looked to have been there for awhile. I am looking for a recommendation for a new chimney cap that would be more bird resistant.

Hart and Cooley is the parent company of Super-Vent. They make the TLC line that is the same as your Super-Vent except it's 304 SS. This cap will mount on your super-vent just fine. They show 2 spark arresters, either one will work but the pre-formed one is a breeze, it just drops over the cap. It will be bird proof. Unfortunately, it will not fit your current cap. You will have to buy this one.
http://www.hartandcooley.com/chimney-and-vent/all-fuel-class-a-chimney/tlc-chimney-system/rain-caps

Is this the same cap, webby?
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=4620

I have it in 8" on my metalbest pipe, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on supervent, or anything close to the same OD. I didn't buy the spark arrestor screen, but I cut a screen out of 1/2" hardware cloth. I don't need the spark arrestor, it's just to keep the birds out. The holes are big enough that it doesn't plug up easily.

The supervent deluxe rain cap just doesn't have a good way to put any kind of screen on it.

Reactions: Swedishchef
As Jeff_t suggests, the finer meshes can get clogged pretty easy, although it's usually just very fluffy material easy to blow off. I'd suggest a mesh small enough for the birds, but no smaller unless you need the spark arresting capability.

What cap do you have deluxe or regular? I just ordered the deluxe from menards, I hope I don't start getting birds in there! Last year I had no metal ring on the one webby listed and I had no problems with birds, I guess they were able to hang out with more room and fly off! That pipe is gone and awaiting my new 6" stuff.

I have 6" supervent to my basement, and have had a few birds come in the deluxe cap they stock at Menard's.

My sister has 8" supervent to her BK, and had a bird this summer. However, when I pulled the pipe off the stove to get it out and brush the chimney, there was no bird, just some feathers. It found its way back up 26' of pipe :eek:

Is this the same cap, webby?
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=4620

I have it in 8" on my metalbest pipe, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on supervent, or anything close to the same OD. I didn't buy the spark arrestor screen, but I cut a screen out of 1/2" hardware cloth. I don't need the spark arrestor, it's just to keep the birds out. The holes are big enough that it doesn't plug up easily.

The supervent deluxe rain cap just doesn't have a good way to put any kind of screen on it.
Yes, that is the same cap. Metal-bestos, Selkirk, Super-vent, and Hart&Cooley are all the same company.
I use the spark arrester to prevent birds more than anything, it has a pretty big mesh. There is no available spark arrester for the Super-vent deluxe cap that I am aware of and the one from Hart&Cooley will not fit it.

Here ya go...

cat on chimney.jpg

Silly minds think alike. I thought of something like this as soon as I read the OP this morning but had to wait until I got home to post. Isn't that a handsome cat? He's Italian.

What cap do you have deluxe or regular? I just ordered the deluxe from menards, I hope I don't start getting birds in there! Last year I had no metal ring on the one webby listed and I had no problems with birds, I guess they were able to hang out with more room and fly off! That pipe is gone and awaiting my new 6" stuff.
I have the deluxe cap... been getting a couple of birds a year for last 10 years. This year is just worse than usual. I tried putting hardware cloth inside that cap, but it plugged up after about a month. I'm looking at this one from amazon, anyone used it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D1FWGC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A22BC1FJGECFCG

It might fit, but it's best to stick with the cap thats made for your chimney system. How bout the one I linked above?

It might fit, but it's best to stick with the cap thats made for your chimney system. How bout the one I linked above?
My fear would be the size of the screen looks pretty small, I'm afraid it might plug up.

My fear would be the size of the screen looks pretty small, I'm afraid it might plug up.
Then you need to adjust your burning practices:)
This screen is standard and should not present a problem.

Wonder if some of those pigeon spikes they put on buildings would work on the deluxe cap!

Modded my deluxe cap! image.jpg Used some ss lashing wire, should help a bit keeping birds out! Ive never used it but from reading here i figure id try something.

Reactions: madpogue
I have the deluxe cap... been getting a couple of birds a year for last 10 years. This year is just worse than usual. I tried putting hardware cloth inside that cap, but it plugged up after about a month. I'm looking at this one from amazon, anyone used it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D1FWGC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A22BC1FJGECFCG

yes, the gaurdian is a super good cap.
technically you are never supposed to mix and match brands, but it will work
lifetime warrantee, very heavy ss- beefier than the average cap!

Modded my deluxe cap! View attachment 114942 Used some ss lashing wire, should help a bit keeping birds out! Ive never used it but from reading here i figure id try something.
Hey, excuse the necro-post from a n00b, but I DID do a search. We have this exact same cap, and still getting birds in the stack. We had the dude who installed it (wife does NOT want me on the roof, but I digress....) put a spark arrestor on, but he put it on the OUTSIDE, between that bottom ring and the outer cylinder:
ChimneyCap.jpg
So the top of the outer cylinder is wide open, and given its shape, it's an inviting location for birds. They can drop in from above, go around the flat cap that's directly above the pipe, and whoosh, down the pipe. Got lucky (well, the bird did...) one day when we happened to be there, had to open the pipe inside the cabin, then take a window screen out to let him fly out. Three others weren't so lucky.

So I'm thinking, he shoulda put the spark arrestor on the INSIDE, between the pipe and the flat top, where you put that SS wire. So whether a bird goes in from the outside or the top, she'll be stopped at the pipe.

Another option I thought of was to find some bulk material that the spark arrestor is made of (presumably some SS, 304 or the like), and cut a round piece of it, big enough to cover the open top of the outer cylinder. Bend the outer edge down so it's like an upside-down pie crust, then SS fender washers and screws/nuts to fasten it to the top of the outer cylinder. This would keep them from getting inside the thing anywhere, so they wouldn't leave any nests up there either (haven't had that happen --- yet --- ).

Anybody have any thoughts on whether that would work?

So far i havnt had any birds fall down the pipe yet that i know of, guess ill find out soon as it needs a cleaning. All was good last year.
Sounds like your idea will work also, just more to get plugged up.

Sounds like your idea will work also, just more to get plugged up.
Yeah that's why I'm trying to decide between the options. So far I've had ZERO plugging-up of the spark arrestor where it is on the outside, so I'm hoping that means that a piece across the top won't either. Do you remember the diameter of that top opening (aprx)? Seems like to be safe, I should get myself a 12" x 12" square.

Id say 12x12 should do it

Cool thanks. Now to find someone to crawl up there (or convince the wife that I'm not gonna die doing it myself....)

I took a 3x3 ft piece of chicken wire and formed it around the top. Then drew a galvanized wire around the base and cinched it. It's worked for 5 years, still looks fine, at least to me. The wire gets creosote coated, but not nearly enough to ruin draft.

Reactions: madpogue
Cool, I like the idea of using a big enough piece to wrap around the base. Think I'll still go with the expanded stainless, though; around here, the chicken wire will eventually rust out, and I want to do this _once_.

Status
Not open for further replies.