BIS Traditional - how can I pipe into my central heating system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nvr-enuf

Dec 23, 2008
West Bend, WI
I recently purchased a used BIS zero clearance wood burning fireplace designed for "new construction" / 2by4 walls - not for a masonry fireplace.

The ID tag says the following:
Model - BIS
WH 002643
ICBO no 4336

The unit looks very very similar to the BIS II except that mine on the outside does not taper towards the rear like the BIS II. Mine is the same width in the front as it is in the rear.

On the top, the unit has the single exhaust and two heat output 7 or 8" holes. My ultimate desire is to put these hot air output directly into my cold air return of my forced furnace which is very nearby to the fireplace.

My unit has the 3" outside fresh air kit on the side with a dampener which is adjusted on the inside of the stove. What I do not understand is that the fresh air kit and air at the bottom of the stove to be used for the heat exchanger is not fully seperated, almost as if they share the same air. My unit does not have a blower, I am told the blower for the unit is a UZY5. I have found UZY33 & 4s but not 5s.

Questions - What is average / range of output temperatures that I can expect out of my heat exchanger pipes?
Where I can find a UZY5 blower for the stove?
Can I plumb this unit into my cold air return if I have one pipe that is piped above the stove into the room that the stove is located in.
I have attached a picture of my fresh air intake, does this seem right that the combustion air is shared with the heat exchanger air? I guess I would have expected them to be seperated.
f36jpe.jpg

n15r9e.jpg

2ppwl7t.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

I do have a manual for the BIS II and BIS traditional, but they do not show the fresh air in detail.

Thanks

I have a BIS Ultima, which is presumably similar. The openings on top are gravity (passive) vents, and you can't (or at least shouldn't) connect them to a horizontal or downward duct through a blower as they may overheat if the blower is not running. They are meant to feed up only. On the Ultima there are smaller side knockouts which are marketed to be connected via insulated flex duct and a blower, either to remote registers or your central plenum. My experience is that you can heat another room this way, but can't pull enough heat out to bother sending it to the main plenum.

The outside air kit is optional, if not used then combustion and heat-exchanger air both come from the room. I think there is a plate on mine to cover the room-combustion-air opening when using the OAK (as I am).

In the Ultima the exact blower size doesn't really matter much as it just sits in the back. If yours is the same then just buy any blower that fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.