Bivouac it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Those modern jungle gyms all around. They all have bivouac shelter roofs. If you have kids, you already know what I'm talking about. If not, just look around the 'hood.

Got me thinking, why not, to keep the firewood dry? Tie a rope between two trees, drape tarp over rope, stretch corners to desired angle, stake corners. Voila!

Reactions: Soundchasm
Good idea, but with out some support under it the rain water will sag it and create pools.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
It could work well if tied down well. My concern would be heavy snows.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I remembered this thread when we were traveling recently. We visited family friends not at their own home but at their parents’ home. I knew they were long-time wood burners, and we had in fact given them firewood before we put our house on the market, but I had never seen their place before. It turns out that the stacks were protected just as you described with rope and tarps and what looked like old canvas tenting. They were tied well, and the report that we received was that he’s done it that way for years with good success.