BK Boxer install 2ft rule

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

audderbahn

Aug 25, 2022
USA
We bought a home in February that has a pre-existing chimney, liner, and thimble. There used to be a stove in the house that was DIY installed and unpermitted, it was removed for the house sale per law. I purchased a BK Boxer 24.1 from a local dealer who came out and assessed the pre-existing chimney, liner, and thimble. The dealer took measurements for all clearances and said everything would be fine. It's kind of an odd placement, but necessary because of a spiral stairway close to the chimney.
The dealer's crew did the install, but the code inspector failed the installation after reading the Boxer manual because BK requires a minimum of 2ft clearance between the top of the stove and the bottom of the horizontal run. Currently, there is 17.5". The inspector said we may have to move the thimble up higher to meet this requirement. He also wasn't sure about the clearance from the center of the pipe going into the thimble and our spiral staircase support, that the manual diagram shows a 25.12" clearance required from the center of the flue coming out of the stove (we meet that just fine) but that this rule might apply to any part of the pipe.
He told me to contact BK and that he was open to having a dialogue with them about it. I am waiting until Monday to give BK a call. Would love to hear thoughts on this and other options or concerns. The weird placement doesn't really match the cases shown in the diagram, because there is this diagonal run. At this point, I don't trust the dealer and I want to come armed with more information and options before I go back to them.

IMG_0877.jpg IMG_0879.jpg Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 5.33.18 PM.png IMG_0880.jpg IMG_0878.jpg

Reactions: Split
That requirement for a 2 ft rise before a horizontal is (mostly) to ensure a minimum draft, and thus stove performance. As that does have safety implications (draft reversal, CO), it is good to think carefully about it.

One question is how tall your chimney is. If that's very tall, this might work fine. If your chimney (stove top to cap) is right at the minimum recommended of 15', it might result in smoke roll-out when you open the door. This is a piece of data the inspector should have when (if) he talks to BK.

If the pipe is double wall, I believe that clearance to the side is fine.

@BKVP is on here too.

Thanks Stoveliker, the house is a two story A frame so the chimney comes up a few feet over the ridge of the roof. It’s roughly 20 feet from stove top to cap.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, manuals often make recommendations sound like requirements and the inspector needs to be conservative and consider everything a requirement unless the manual is very clear it's a recommendation.

It's worth getting the approved inspection for the sake of liability so yes, ask BK to clarify.

The 24" is a recommendation, not a requirement. It is for performance reasons, no safety or clearances. I passed your email onto my staff to contact the OP.

I'm traveling today, unable to call.

BKVP

Thank you! The stove is absolutely beautiful and we are excited to use it. The hearth pad shown in the pic is just temporary too, we are waiting on a black steel Ember Defender: https://americanpanelhearth.com/ember-defender-heat-protection/
Nice. Did not know something like that existed. I just bought a steel plate and my dealer painted it matte black. I thought it looked nicer and more rustic. It was the cheaper option over tile as well. Those ember defenders look great.

Reactions: audderbahn
As far as venting, coming up to the chimney at a 45º like that is preferable to the three 90º turns it would take to go up 2', then two 90s into the chimney where it takes another 90º turn. Is the connector single or double-wall stove pipe? Does the chimney have a 6" stainless steel liner in it?

As far as venting, coming up to the chimney at a 45º like that is preferable to the three 90º turns it would take to go up 2', then two 90s into the chimney where it takes another 90º turn. Is the connector single or double-wall stove pipe? Does the chimney have a 6" stainless steel liner in it?

The connector is double-wall, the chimney has a 6" stainless steel liner.

The connector is double-wall, the chimney has a 6" stainless steel liner.
It's worth trying it this way. The stove may vent fine. The installers did the best they could without raising the thimble. Hopefully, BK will provide language that satisfies the inspector.

In my opinion the stove will run just fine, my vertical raise to a 90* is 18” and I use a king! Nice stove too.

I think so too. But the issue is the inspector.

Reactions: logfarmer
Was this resolved?