BK bypass door broke help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobFalfa

Nov 22, 2015
Missouri
I opened my bypass door this morning so i could clean my chimney and stove to prepare for the winter..i opened and closed my bypass a time or 2 and then all of the sudden i hear a clunk and now the bypass door wont open and a small piece of metal has fallen from some where..anyone ever experience this?? How do i even get to the door to work on it? Thanks!

I opened my bypass door this morning so i could clean my chimney and stove to prepare for the winter..i opened and closed my bypass a time or 2 and then all of the sudden i hear a clunk and now the bypass door wont open and a small piece of metal has fallen from some where..anyone ever experience this?? How do i even get to the door to work on it? Thanks!

I might add that the bypass handle moves freely open and close like it has come unattached from the bypass door

Well lucky for me..i have another bk in my shop, so i took a look at it. The small piece that broke was the metal strap that hooks over the rod coming from the handle. It looks like it could be welded somehow?? But the door needs to come out...

Ok. The welded thing in top of the bypass is called the ramp. It should probably have an adjustment bolt on the end opposite the weld.

On the ashford, princess and probably a few others the bypass door comes out through the space currently occupied by the combustor.

On those two there is a sheet metal stamping on either side of the combustor, just sitting in the hole after the cat is out, that need to come out before the bypass door can be removed. On the ashford they are interchangeable, no left/right, just two stampings, maybe 18 or 16 ga sheet metal, or thick at all.

If you havent already, download the current manual from bk dot com to see about bypass door removal, it might be near the bypass gasket replacdment section.

Once you get the bypass door out, lets see a pic of the ramp....

Ok..that is exactly what i did..took it out through the combustor space..it was broke at the factory bend...cleaned it up and tig welded back together..should be good to go. Thanks!

You need(ed) a new combustor gasket of course.

I _think_ if the bottom half of the ramp from the factory weld out to the adjustment bolt is still intact you will _probably_ be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.