BK Floor Protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Calentarse

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2011
MD
Does anyone know the rules with regard to BK Ashfords and floor protection? When can you simply use floor protection and not an actual thermal hearth? We are considering a BK on laminate and were wondering if thermal protection is actually necessary or if simple floor protection would be all that's needed...

The Ashford requires ember protection only.

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah only ember and spark protection.

Thank you to the both of you! Do you know what the best materials would be to provide this? Like, what would you search for if it were you?

that would depend a lot on personal taste. tile counts as spark protection, so would glass or metal sheeting, or a large enough hearth rug.

Depends on the budget and aesthetic. Could be tile, sheet metal, glass, brick, etc.. What did you use on your previous BK installation?

I did brick tile over cement board, for mine. My goal was to keep the hearth extension flush with the floor, so I was working within the 1" total thickness of my floor boards.
photo 8.JPG

that would depend a lot on personal taste. tile counts as spark protection, so would glass or metal sheeting, or a large enough hearth rug.
I dont beleive a hearth rug qualifies for ember protection

I did tile and the thing with the BK is that the temperature on the hearth is just above room temperature most of the time unless you burn hot. That is awesome.

Our whole floor is a hearth.

nrqijKT.jpg

We track in dirt and water from outside, so the last thing we want on our floor is wall to wall carpet or wood flooring. Porcelain tile always looks brand new even after decades of hard use... and we are hard on floors.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: webby3650
Depends on the budget and aesthetic. Could be tile, sheet metal, glass, brick, etc.. What did you use on your previous BK installation?
We had carpet so we wanted thermal protection; so, we ended up getting a full hearth pad. I was looking for something a little lighter weight this time that the Roomba will be able to run up on...

Sheet metal would work. It could be painted or be out of stainless, copper, etc..

Not too thin or it will dimple and pucker. Would stink to slide your toe along the edge and slice it open.

Reactions: Ashful
Not too thin or it will dimple and pucker. Would stink to slide your toe along the edge and slice it open.
Yes, I was thinking it would be good to have it hemmed on the edges.

We track in dirt and water from outside, so the last thing we want on our floor is wall to wall carpet or wood flooring. Porcelain tile always looks brand new even after decades of hard use... and we are hard on floors.

Don't knock wood. Our Penna pine floors are somewhere between 240 - 280 years old, and holding up just fine, after seeing probably over one thousand cords of wood hauled across them. Thank you.