BK Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nate379

I have been using my stove for close to 2 years now, so would figure that I have it all sorted out.

Came home tonight and the renter (I rent out a room in the house) put a load in but the fan isn't running. The fans usually end up running 24/7 most of the winter since the stove rarely cools down.

I'm not sure if something conked out or it's just being fussy.

The stove is dialed down, knob to 12:00, cat gauge is pegged out and stove top is reading around 650*. It's around -20* outside so it would be nice for the fan to come on to move the heat around the house.

I haven't pulled it apart at this point, but just wanted to hear from you guys if this is typical or maybe I should consider replacing the snap disc? I'm also thinking of wiring in an on/off switch as well. I realize I can turn it off, but I'd like to be able to turn it "manual on" too.

I looked at the manual, but don't understand what that snap disc does??
Could be a bad rheostat. I'm no electrical expert but maybe there's a way to safely bypass the rheostat to determine if it is the problem...
Can you call your dealer? Maybe they've run into this problem before?

It could be the snap disc. If you, or someone you know, has some electrical knowledge, you could check continuity on the snap disc while the stove is up to temperature...you could check the rheostat at any time because it is not dependent upon heat to work.

When my stove was new, I had a problem with one of the fans not running, while the other would run. I placed a couple of small drops of electric motor oil on the fan shaft and spun it few time...then when I turned the fans on they both ran just fine. At the beginning of this season, I oiled the shafts of both fans just in case. If both of your fans are not running, I doubt your problem would be that simple.

make sure also that you have power to the outlet..you never know.

Woody Stover said:
I looked at the manual, but don't understand what that snap disc does??

Basically, it is a switch that ensures the fans won't run until the stove reaches a certain temperature...then the switch (snap disc) closes, to complete the electrical circuit, which then allows the fans to run.

So, it essentially keeps the fans from running if the stove is cool.

NATE379 said:
I'm also thinking of wiring in an on/off switch as well. I realize I can turn it off, but I'd like to be able to turn it "manual on" too.

I did this with my stove. Sometimes toward the end of the burn when there is still some heat it isn't quite enough to keep the fan on at higher speeds. I installed a separate on/off switch that just manually completes the snap disc circuit when desired. If I want it to operate stock I just turn the switch off.

It kicked on a few mins after I had shut the computer down. Just seems to have a really slow reaction time. I might wire in a switch this summer (not going to mess with it when the stove is hot).

NATE379 said:
It kicked on a few mins after I had shut the computer down. Just seems to have a really slow reaction time. I might wire in a switch this summer (not going to mess with it when the stove is hot).

I was going to wait as well but noticing how easy it was to work with the blower wires under my Lopi I gave in a few weeks back. I have no idea on a BK how easy this is to do with a running stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.