BK install question.. chimney pipe hole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok. I took some photos of the interior of the chimney from the thimble hole. I think it looks dirty but in good shape. I need to sweep the chimney but I'll show you how it looks as is, I'll post another set of pics after i sweep. Chimney is 8"x12". I measured the interior of my chimney, and it went down to as small as 6.5".

I included some photos of the wood clearance in my basements ceiling where the woodstove is. It is 2" or more all around.

I then climbed into my attic and did not see 2" clearing from wood where the chimney exits the roof and goes outside. The clearance there is about a 1/2 inch at the smallest point. (Photo of wood without tape measurer)

20220902_165622.jpg 20220902_165614.jpg 20220902_165552.jpg 20220902_165542.jpg 20220902_170329.jpg 20220902_170531.jpg

Ok. I took some photos of the interior of the chimney from the thimble hole. I think it looks dirty but in good shape. I need to sweep the chimney but I'll show you how it looks as is, I'll post another set of pics after i sweep. Chimney is 8"x12". I measured the interior of my chimney, and it went down to as small as 6.5".

I included some photos of the wood clearance in my basements ceiling where the woodstove is. It is 2" or more all around.

I then climbed into my attic and did not see 2" clearing from wood where the chimney exits the roof and goes outside. The clearance there is about a 1/2 inch at the smallest point. (Photo of wood without tape measurer)

View attachment 298602 View attachment 298603 View attachment 298604 View attachment 298605 View attachment 298606 View attachment 298610
Well you absolutely need a liner an 8x12 liner is way to large. And I can see a crack directly across from the crock. You are also going to have to spend allot of time to get that chimney clean. I would rotary clean with chains before installing a new liner. Even if you do have the required clearances I would still strongly recommend an insulated liner just because they work better. You have plenty of room there to do an insulated oval liner.

Just did some chinney sweeping. (Tape measure photos are before sweeping to show 6.5"x10.25" chimney interior size) i can see the crack inside the crock now too.

While on my roof i see some cracking on the top of the cement at the top of my chimney. Can those cracks be refilled with furnace cement?? Or what is the preferred method/product you'd use on your home?

Should i order the narrowest insulated oval liner i can? I see 6"x8.05" oval insulated liners. I'm unsure the difficulty of putting the insulated oval liner down the chimney.

Will certain size oval liners limit getting future parts? There are a lot of variants I'm seeing and i want to make sure i avoid limited sizes if needed.

Should i still add a Tee onto the end of the oval insulated liner I send down the chimney??

Again I appreciate you all taking the time to speak your minds and give me all the valuable wisdom to use on my home.

20220902_175936.jpg 20220902_175927.jpg 20220902_182229.jpg 20220902_184515.jpg 20220902_184511.jpg 20220902_184132.jpg 20220902_184129.jpg

Just did some chinney sweeping. (Tape measure photos are before sweeping to show 6.5"x10.25" chimney interior size) i can see the crack inside the crock now too.

While on my roof i see some cracking on the top of the cement at the top of my chimney. Can those cracks be refilled with furnace cement?? Or what is the preferred method/product you'd use on your home?

Should i order the narrowest insulated oval liner i can? I see 6"x8.05" oval insulated liners. I'm unsure the difficulty of putting the insulated oval liner down the chimney.

Will certain size oval liners limit getting future parts? There are a lot of variants I'm seeing and i want to make sure i avoid limited sizes if needed.

Should i still add a Tee onto the end of the oval insulated liner I send down the chimney??

Again I appreciate you all taking the time to speak your minds and give me all the valuable wisdom to use on my home.

View attachment 298613 View attachment 298614 View attachment 298616 View attachment 298617 View attachment 298618 View attachment 298619 View attachment 298620
You will order a complete kit with tee top plate cap etc in addition to the liner. And you order a liner that is equivalent to a 6" round and fits in the opening you have.

There really is no need to get future components

Reactions: BETELGUESE
6.5"x10" chimney flue. The oval insulated liner calculator i used came up with liner dimenions of 5"x8.15".

Screenshot_20220902-194723_DuckDuckGo.jpg

This youtube clip seems similar to what i need to do. Ceramic insulation was used instead of cement to seal the thimble.

This youtube clip seems similar to what i need to do. Ceramic insulation was used instead of cement to seal the thimble.

I use ceramic insulation then chamber tech over that to seal around the snout

The chimney is the engine that drives the woodstove. Don't cut corners here.. and with BK stoves its a different route of thinking entirely. The princess is a very efficient stove, when turned down to low the firebox literally smolders and the cat eats the smoke getting very hot, due to the cat placement the heat from the chain reaction is transferred to the stove top, the flue gasses are much cooler than an epa 2020 secondary reburn stove which when running efficiently burns at 1100 deg F, the BK will run at 600 deg F efficiently, giving off much cooler flue gases, thats the reasoning behind an insulated liner, it isnt for the high heat, its to keep the minimal heat out the flue warm enough so it doesnt condense and form creosote, the added bonus to this is if you not burning dry enough wood and you do form creosote, you have an additional layer of protection should you have a chimney fire.

That ^^

That "efficient" 1100º is internal in the firebox, not flue temp. A flue temp roughly equal to or a bit below the stove top temp is more likely with a secondary combustion stove during the strong outgassing phase of the wood. Then it tapers down. That said, some, non-hybrid cat stoves do tend to have lower flue output temps, when the thermostat or air control is set to a low output temp.

Reactions: Highbeam
That "efficient" 1100º is internal in the firebox, not flue temp. A flue temp roughly equal to or a bit below the stove top temp is more likely with a secondary combustion stove during the strong outgassing phase of the wood. Then it tapers down. That said, some, non-hybrid cat stoves do tend to have lower flue output temps, when the thermostat or air control is set to a low output temp.
Essentially you agree then with all wishy washy.. insulate the liner

Reactions: BETELGUESE
Thank you!
I will definitely be getting an insulated oval chimney liner kit. Still looking around different websites and trying to decide where to order from.

The chimney is the engine that drives the woodstove. Don't cut corners here.. and with BK stoves its a different route of thinking entirely. The princess is a very efficient stove, when turned down to low the firebox literally smolders and the cat eats the smoke getting very hot, due to the cat placement the heat from the chain reaction is transferred to the stove top, the flue gasses are much cooler than an epa 2020 secondary reburn stove which when running efficiently burns at 1100 deg F, the BK will run at 600 deg F efficiently, giving off much cooler flue gases, thats the reasoning behind an insulated liner, it isnt for the high heat, its to keep the minimal heat out the flue warm enough so it doesnt condense and form creosote, the added bonus to this is if you not burning dry enough wood and you do form creosote, you have an additional layer of protection should you have a chimney fire.

That post makes me excited to start season 10 with my princess!

Reactions: stoveliker