BK King glowing orange tonight...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
New gasket is on the way...thanks BKVP!
Please verify the glass is also snug in the door frame. With stove room temp, open door and hold between your knees. Palm of left and on one side of glass, right hand on other side. Verify the glass is snug....Thank you.
Chris

Check your door gasket, let the stove cool down and do the dollar bill test. Also make sure the knife edge is making a seat in the middle of the gasket
Can someone explain what knife edge gasket means,anything technical is Greek to me mechanical i mean.

Reactions: becasunshine
Can someone explain what knife edge gasket means,anything technical is Greek to me mechanical i mean.
20180111_181642-jpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It means the surface which the gasket closes on protrudes into the gasket and is not a flat surface that the gasket closes against.

It means the surface which the gasket closes on protrudes into the gasket and is not a flat surface that the gasket closes against.
Thank you,soon a BK the channel that the gasket seats into snugly?

After you get the door leak sorted, your happy low burn spot will be a little higher on the dial than it used to be because all the air is now properly coming through the air intake. You'll figure out where on the dial your lowest cat-active burn is as the weather warms up.

Did the gasket get fixed? How is it working?
Why would his happy spot be a little higher on the dial? Because he will need to be able to give it more air from the intake?

Why would his happy spot be a little higher on the dial? Because he will need to be able to give it more air from the intake?

Good question. I propose that the thermostat would overcome the air leak by closing itself farther to keep firebox temperature at the set point. Fix the air leak and the thermostat will just open farther to get the same temp.

I expect no change in operation and this is one reason that the operator may have been unaware. A simpler manual stove would have really run away.

Let's say that you have determined that your stove's lowest cat-active burn is at thermostat position X. You found this low burn setting while the stove had a significant air leak, one large enough to make the door glow at high burn.

You set the thermostat to X. Your flapper now has a range that it can be open, from a maximum of Y to a minimum of Z. The flapper is open some amount between Y and Z all the time. Your minimum burn rate is dictated by Z's airflow plus the gasket's airflow. Your maximum burn rate is Y's airflow plus the gasket's airflow.

Now you correct the air leak. You are no longer taking in a big part of your combustion air through the door; it all comes through the stove's air intake. Your flapper is still restricted to moving between Y and Z. Given that you found this happy low spot with a big hole in the door, Y alone may not be enough to keep the cat active.

Even if the range between Y and Z is large enough that it covers the rate of air intake through the gasket leak, the center of the range is at a different spot on the dial now.

Please verify the glass is also snug in the door frame. With stove room temp, open door and hold between your knees. Palm of left and on one side of glass, right hand on other side. Verify the glass is snug....Thank you.
Chris

Just did the glass test, and it appears to be nice and snug.

No matter how loaded, even with wood up against the glass, that is an odd location to overheat.
You would be surprised. The thermal images I took of my King showed the face of the stove to be the hottest on the stove. Probably a tie for first with the area directly above the cat. It's not a shock to me after taking thermal pics of my stove, I'll tell you that.
IR_1817.jpg

IR_1811.jpg
IR_1819.jpg

This one was a little while later after the stove got up to temp more but I didn't go back through and take the same pics again, wish I had.
IR_1805.jpg

As I recall marshy, those photos were during extended max setting burns. Seems you needed to run that king hot all the time.

I suspect a completely different temperature map when running on low.

As I recall marshy, those photos were during extended max setting burns. Seems you needed to run that king hot all the time.

I suspect a completely different temperature map when running on low.
The stove was on the max heat setting just like the OP said his was. That's what makes them directly applicable to the conversation. In general, the face of the stove will be the second hottest spot on lower burn rates because there is no firebrick there and the heat generated will primarily be at the cat.

Reactions: Highbeam