BK on the way, no firewood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A face cord typically is 1/3d of a cord. Typically measure is 4' x 8' x 16" wood. With the price down to $210 a cord for fully seasoned, that's a nice deal. Bill would it be cost effective to rent or hire a large truck? Or is it pretty close by?

The pile I will be taking from is double stacked, 16" lengths, 4 ft. high and approximately 60 ft. long. We measured out 48 ft. for the portion of the pile I will be loading. A very neat tidy pile, with the faces all aligned. I'll try and snap a pic with my phone today before I start loading. The distance is about 50 miles begreen. I am borrowing a trailer that is used to haul metal scrap, 16 ft. long with 3 ft. sides. The wood is only a couple miles past the Menards store I go to so I can combine trips. Today will be shelf boards for my closets and firewood. I wonder how many loads I will be hauling with the trailer? I am hoping for 2. If I skip the shelf boards, my truck is a one ton with 8 ft. box. Hmmmm : )

A cord, 128 cu ft of seasoned hardwood is going to weigh more than 2 tons. That trailer sounds like it could carry 2 cords. Make sure it is rated for that load and make sure it has good working electric brakes.

Wow, that's a lot of wood! Jeff and his dad helped me load, a lot slower unloading....you know, the age thing. The brand new, just out of the package and included batteries $13 moisture meter from Menards flashed low battery after I checked about 5 splits. If the read was accurate up to that point one of the splits was 19, a couple 8, an 11, a 12. I checked a 2 x 4 before I split and it read 13%. I'll return the meter tomorrow or see if Menards will give me new batteries. If the weather is decent tomorrow I will pick up another load. : )

Wow, that's a lot of wood! Jeff and his dad helped me load, a lot slower unloading....you know, the age thing. The brand new, just out of the package and included batteries $13 moisture meter from Menards flashed low battery after I checked about 5 splits. If the read was accurate up to that point one of the splits was 19, a couple 8, an 11, a 12. I checked a 2 x 4 before I split and it read 13%. I'll return the meter tomorrow or see if Menards will give me new batteries. If the weather is decent tomorrow I will pick up another load. : )

Remember the wood should be at room temp before splitting for accurate readings.

Remember the wood should be at room temp before splitting for accurate readings.

Seriously? ;) My apologies rdust, but I've never heard of a split having to be at room temp for accurate measure. I'll have to make room on the kitchen counter.

Seriously? ;) My apologies rdust, but I've never heard of a split having to be at room temp for accurate measure. I'll have to make room on the kitchen counter.

Rdust is correct. I spent my first year burning 26% - 30% MC hardwoods that all measured 20% on the freshly split face, when outdoors in winter. It lead to some mighty disappointing results, that first year.

Your MC meter is just measuring electrical conductivity, that of ice and water being very different.

Reactions: Bill in the U.P.
Bill, not sure if the UP has the same tree makeup as the lower part of the state, but we still have an abundance of dead Ash that is ready to burn straight out of the woods. Look for the stuff with no bark or branches and you'll have 12-14% wood that's ready to go. Also, I think it's been mentioned but pallet companies often sell ends cuts. These are kiln dried pieces that are too small for them to use. They are small and burn really hot, but will do in a pinch. Are you on a pig or fuel oil?

Ok, I spent the day unloading wood and thinking about measuring conductivity in frozen wood. I will bring a few splits inside for a few days, then split and test them. Menards gave me free batteries for the meter. My dealer called, my new Sirocco 3.1 had been shipped. The dealer said he should have it next week and I will pick it up. Road trip. On a side note, I discovered "Hot Damn" tonight. After unloading all that wood I decided to find something to warm me up. Bought "Hot Damn" at the local gas station which I find hilarious. Full tank of gas and a pint of 100 proof "Hot Damn." Should sleep good tonight. : 0

Rdust is correct. I spent my first year burning 26% - 30% MC hardwoods that all measured 20% on the freshly split face, when outdoors in winter. It lead to some mighty disappointing results, that first year.

Your MC meter is just measuring electrical conductivity, that of ice and water being very different.

Thanks Ashful. I tend to rely on "technology" but it has to be used appropriately. Appreciate your candor.

Ok, I spent the day unloading wood and thinking about measuring conductivity in frozen wood. I will bring a few splits inside for a few days, then split and test them. Menards gave me free batteries for the meter. My dealer called, my new Sirocco 3.1 had been shipped. The dealer said he should have it next week and I will pick it up. Road trip. On a side note, I discovered "Hot Damn" tonight. After unloading all that wood I decided to find something to warm me up. Bought "Hot Damn" at the local gas station which I find hilarious. Full tank of gas and a pint of 100 proof "Hot Damn." Should sleep good tonight. : 0

I remember that stuff from my younger days. Cinnamon sweet and potent! After a pint of that you won't need the Blaze King, at least not tonight;)

I remember that stuff from my younger days. Cinnamon sweet and potent! After a pint of that you won't need the Blaze King, at least not tonight;)

Absolutely won't be making it through the whole pint tarzan. Jeez, this stuff is potent. Just woke from a darn good nap in my recliner. So happy to have found some good wood and have it on site. My splitter is at the BIL's and I plan to retrieve it this weekend. An older Super Split but with some good life still left in it. If I get lucky the Plumbing and Heating contractor will keep his word and get my Class A installed the first week of the new year. I'll save the rest of this cinnamon concoction for my first fire in the new Sirocco. That will make for a tremendous start to the new year.

Reactions: tarzan
Absolutely won't be making it through the whole pint tarzan. Jeez, this stuff is potent. Just woke from a darn good nap in my recliner. So happy to have found some good wood and have it on site. My splitter is at the BIL's and I plan to retrieve it this weekend. An older Super Split but with some good life still left in it. If I get lucky the Plumbing and Heating contractor will keep his word and get my Class A installed the first week of the new year. I'll save the rest of this cinnamon concoction for my first fire in the new Sirocco. That will make for a tremendous start to the new year.

Want a sure cure for insomnia Bill, wait until your stove is installed, then pour yourself 2 fingers of hot damn. Sit in the dark and just watch your stove burn. You'll be asleep before 1 fingers worth is gone. So relaxing.

Picked up another truck load last night. Maybe one to go (I have an F350 with 8 ft. box). Jeff's dad Tony comes out to help me load every time I go there. 77 years old and he has been heating with wood his entire life. He said my dad told me "if you heat with wood you will always have something to do." Great guy, very generous with his time and friendly. He invited me in last night to check out his wood furnace. A very well maintained unit with of course, a chair, side table and lamp nearby.

Reactions: Ashful and rdust
Picked up another truck load last night. Maybe one to go (I have an F350 with 8 ft. box). Jeff's dad Tony comes out to help me load every time I go there. 77 years old and he has been heating with wood his entire life. He said my dad told me "if you heat with wood you will always have something to do." Great guy, very generous with his time and friendly. He invited me in last night to check out his wood furnace. A very well maintained unit with of course, a chair, side table and lamp nearby.
Sounds like you got a great source. Gotta say you "Yoopers " are a different breed in general. Most people don't understand that all a man has up there is his name. You cross a man once and your gonna have a ruff future. When it's called a seasoned face cord, your getting a well seasoned face cord. And usually a couple for the road....

Status
Not open for further replies.