BK Princess Classic Wood Stove Opening Height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWIGHTTBP

Nov 3, 2012
Hello Blaze King Princess Classic Owners: We're about to purchase a BK Princess classic from our local store and I have a quick question. Does anyone have comments about the height of the wood stove opening? From a functional standpoint, have you found the fact that it sits lower than other wood stoves a good thing or something you find you're just living with (in other words, is it driving you crazy)? When we install the Princess on a hearth pad (2" thick) the opening will be significantly lower than the stove we're replacing and I haven't decided whether that's the end of the world or not. We do have some options for making the hearth pad thicker. Other suggestions would be appreciated (apart from purchasing the pedestal model (Ultra) which we we have been leaning away from for aesthetic reasons).

Thanks for any perspectives you may have!

My sister has a King that sits on tile that is flush with the rest of the floor. I don't live with it every day, but she doesn't complain. I guess she doesn't spend much time messing with it ;)

2012-12-14_11-30-34_588.jpg

I have a princess on a pedestal and it doesn't bother me. I don't lean over it when I load it, I sit or kneel on the floor in front of it. My previous stove was a similar height so I guess I don't know any better one way or the other. ==c

My guess is you'll get used to it rather quickly.

What about the Parlor model? I think the height is I between the Classic and Ultra.

When I first installed my insert, I was upset with how low it layed and that the entire surround was needed t o cover the entire fireplace opening, I couldn't understand why they make them so small, if anyone knows pease answer........BUT......after burning and burning and burning, I love what I have and I dont even think about that at all anymore, I guess you will get used to it, I hope this helps

If you enjoy sitting and watching the flames through the glass I suppose it could be hard to get as nice a view as you would get with the stove sitting higher. Our Jotul F 600 sits up on a ten inch tall hearth extension and this places the viewing angle at just the right height when sitting on the sofa.

If you enjoy sitting and watching the flames through the glass I suppose it could be hard to get as nice a view as you would get with the stove sitting higher. Our Jotul F 600 sits up on a ten inch tall hearth extension and this places the viewing angle at just the right height when sitting on the sofa.

He's asking about a Blaze King Princess. Not much to see ;lol

Reactions: Highbeam
It's not that low. The firebox of the classic sits up on the funky base that has the holes in it. In comparison to the ultra, the classic is low but that is only because the ultra is so tall up on the gigantic pedestal. Not only does the classic have that holey base but then you have 1 or 2 layers of firebrick plus 6" of firebox depth before you hit the bottom of the loading door. That's gotta be like 10" from the floor.

You'll love the princess. If your knees are in bad shape, you may wish for an elevated hearth. I do all my loading while sitting on my feet. You don't load them often but when you do, it is a full load of 40+ pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.