BK Sirocco 25 - Short Burntimes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

profire

Nov 11, 2019
md
First off thanks to everyone here, all your comments guided me to buy a BK King Parlor last year, and the Sirocco 25 insert this year for my unused fireplace. Had a block off plate installed with it since most here seem to recommend.

My King burns like a dream at or above the maximum advertised limits, very happy with it. Not the case with the Sirocco insert. Everytime I get about 8 hours having it pegged fairly low on the test at dial, a little above 3 o'clock (it closes at 3 o'clock position).

This Sirocco stove had some problems to begin with, defective catalyst thermometer and a bolt popped off the flame sheild, BK sent a new catalyst thermometer and bolts, and I was very happy to get up and running again last month.

My chimney is interior masonry (center of house), insulated ss liner about 17 or 17.5 ft of chimney for the Sirocco 25.

I suspected there is a air leak, and tightened the door after failed dollar bill test (could pull dollar bill right on hand side pretty easy) now its tight. Still, getting more flames than I think I should see turned down low.

I do not know how to diagnose other types of air leaks perhaps @BKVP might have some insight. How do I identify if window gaskets leak or thermostat housing leak?(saw some furnace cement on edges of tstat I presume are to prevent that)

I'm burning mostly oak, tried burning N/S and E/W made no difference since the advertised burn time is 8 hrs. My king makes zero flames turned down low.
Wood moisture meter shows 14% - 17%.
I run the fan to match the thermostat setting. I've bought kiln dried wood to see if I'd suddenly get long burn times and had same results.

Really hope you wizards on here can help point the way to get my Sirocco insert up to its potential.

Thanks!

I will not be of significant help since I am a new burner, but can offer this suggestion. First I have a newly installed Princess Insert, and my draft is off the charts (30' insulated exterior chimney, pulls 0.25 wc on my meter which is well above the 0.06-0.09wc spec BK uses for certification). I am able to get 12+ hour burns on low with no visible flame, cat stays active the entire time on cherry and mixed ash and hard maple.

Some folks have used an incense stick (or something that smolders) and pass that in front and around the insert when it is operating, fan in the off position. Try to note any shifts in the smoke plume to see if it is pulled in the door or window. It should naturally pull into the side where the room air enters the unit near the thermostat since there is the safety hole that always allows some air into the firebox.

Reactions: profire
Please verify that the knob is not slipping on the thermostat rod.

Next, please verify that when you turn down the thermostat, the blade is actually closing.

This is best done by removing the lower shroud, held in by two bolts/screws which are easy accessible by removing the front upper shroud. Not tools needed, just lift up and away.

Please take a pictures of the thermostat, from left side and right side and straight on as well. This will help me help you. You'll also be able to continue using your SC25 and make clear observations of blade orientation and movement.

Then please PM me the images, your serial number and name of dealer where purchased.

We'll get this licked. Oh yes, I also appreciate a picture of a full fuel load that you are using.

BKVP

Sorry did not answer question of testing glass fitment. With stove at room temp, open the loading door 45 degrees. Sandwich door between your knees. Place palm of each hand on either side of glass and press tightly. Then move up and down, in and out to see if glass moves.

"With stove at room temp" Lawyers or years of dealing with people require this phrase to be inserted.
Sure. My question is, why did he take this private? ;hm

@BKVP pm sent w/ pictures and info.

"With stove at room temp" Lawyers or years of dealing with people require this phrase to be inserted.

Survival of the fittest until one of them survives their stupidity and sues you for it... The things all business and individuals must work with.

Today I was at a job. Customer had to move his vehicle back out of garage a bit so I could access attic. He backed up about 3 feet, put in park, decided he needed to move forward a bit back into garage. He instead put the car in reverse and it startled him then just let off the brake and off goes the car. Mind you he has the door open and is half out of the car (b/c he had planned to only move it a few inches). The guy came inches from taking off his leg and door with my truck that is parked in the drive way. He jumped out of the car and said he must have had to many bong hits... I am willing to bet who would have had to pay for his car if he hit my truck.

Last week a customer followed me up into an attic to see what I was talking about. As he was about to leave he stepped right through the Sheetrock at the edge of the pull down. If it wasn’t for a board he grabbed he would have went all the way down.

Reactions: Ashful
He jumped out of the car and said he must have had to many bong hits

he stepped right through the Sheetrock at the edge of the pull down. If it wasn’t for a board he grabbed he would have went all the way down.
I thought no one was dumber than me, but I guess I was wrong! ;lol

Reactions: Alpine1
Conclusion, nothing wrong with BK Sirocco 25 insert, my fuel wasnt "chunky" enough, loaded dense with a big round in the center and got 13 hr burn.
Thanks to @BKVP for outstanding support, you are a gentleman and a scholar - amazing customer support.
And thank you for an amazing product in the King that saves me hundreds each month! With Sirocco on point upstairs I'll be rolling in dough $$$

Now I just need to finda supply of the big log rounds!
20200122_193238.jpg

Reactions: spudman99 and BKVP
Well done. If you have a splitter, you can shape the pieces to best fit the firebox...think TETRIS.

Reactions: Alpine1 and profire
Conclusion, nothing wrong with BK Sirocco 25 insert, my fuel wasnt "chunky" enough, loaded dense with a big round in the center and got 13 hr burn.
Thanks to @BKVP for outstanding support, you are a gentleman and a scholar - amazing customer support.
And thank you for an amazing product in the King that saves me hundreds each month! With Sirocco on point upstairs I'll be rolling in dough $$$

Now I just need to finda supply of the big log rounds!
View attachment 255798

Is that an illusion or have you melted your air wash plate at the top of the stove opening?

Your king should be loaded tight too. It's counter intuitive to load these BKs since you don't want a loosely stacked pile of small splits as you probably learned to use in other types of stoves.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 302
10 hrs seems to be tops for my ashford 25 insert. My wood is less than chunky though. I’d like to hear that real people are getting the advertised 20 hrs on low. My wood was cut for stove in my avatar. I’ve since upgraded

Is that an illusion or have you melted your air wash plate at the top of the stove opening?

Your king should be loaded tight too. It's counter intuitive to load these BKs since you don't want a loosely stacked pile of small splits as you probably learned to use in other types of stoves.

Scared me there....think it is just some soot discoloration...I hope. Except for initial startup and window cleaning high burns, almost never run it high.

20200123_141704.jpg 20200123_141610.jpg 20200123_141548.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam
Split them to fit!
20190125_120407.jpg

Attachments

• 20191229_123501.jpg
    20191229_123501.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 293
  • Haha
Reactions: Woody Stover
Conclusion, nothing wrong with BK Sirocco 25 insert, my fuel wasnt "chunky" enough,
Another variable is the coal bed when you load. If your wood is dry, you don't need to cook in a new load as long, and you can get up to temp and burning nicely without loading all the splits on top of coals. Experiment with different coal configurations...more or less coals when you re-load, coals pulled forward vs. coals shoved back, or coals pulled to the middle in a line front to back. Again, if your wood is damp you may need to burn in new loads a bit more, with more coals under it. If you turn the air down too much, too early on a damp load, the cat may struggle to stay active. Now, with a big round like you have in that last load, it takes a bit more burn-in to get it gassing decently. That slab that BKVP is trying to stuff in there, gonna take some air to get that burned in. ;lol Looks like it might be some dense wood, but it appears to be a good coal bed..
Caveat; I don't have a BK. I do have a cat stove, however, and I think the general principles apply to both..