BK Sirocco convection deck and fan kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shamab

Apr 13, 2017
Summerland BC
Considering buying a Blaze King Sirocco 20.1. What exactly are the functions of the fan kit and convection deck. They are optional - do they really make a difference to performance?

There are two fans (blowers) are hung on the rear of the stove. In order to install the blowers, the deck is necessary.

The two fans can move a great amount of air across the top surface of the stove, which is the hottest surface.

You can run the fans, which are variable speed on low or high. Running them on high will push very warm air further into the room. Running the fans have two effects. 1) By moving more heat from the surface of the stove (think heat exchanger) you can shorten the burn times of a particular load. Burn times vary greatly based on so many variables including, species, size of wood pieces, moisture content, amount of fuel loaded etc.

The second effect, the air moving across the top of the stove can give you a false reading on the catalytic thermometer. So, please when taking "cat" readings turn off the fans for 10-15 minutes and then take the reading.

Lastly, as a result of the design, you can purchase the stove without the fans and operate it to see if you will need them. You can then add the fans to the Sirocco later if needed. The install process takes less than 10 minutes.

Oh yes, each fan is 105 cfm.

BKVP

Reactions: Shamab
I have the stove you are considering. Highly recommend purchasing the fan kit. I had to run a few weeks without the fans at first. Adding the fans was night and day for getting the heat circulated in my house. Feel free to message me with any questions on my experience with this model. I am very happy with it.

I have the stove you are considering. Highly recommend purchasing the fan kit. I had to run a few weeks without the fans at first. Adding the fans was night and day for getting the heat circulated in my house. Feel free to message me with any questions on my experience with this model. I am very happy with it.
Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated.

There are two fans (blowers) are hung on the rear of the stove. In order to install the blowers, the deck is necessary.

The two fans can move a great amount of air across the top surface of the stove, which is the hottest surface...

BKVP
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I run my fans anytime its cool in the room then turn them off once the room is up to temp.