Black and sticky need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stillersnut

Hearth Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
south central pa.
Been burning some Turmans and noticed a black and sticky film on inside of stove. I have a Thelin with manual adjustments. These are my second ton, I had to return first ton, for they were total crap, dull color and 2-4 inches long. They threw no heat and caused stove to shut down numerous times, gave a few bags to a friend and they did same to her Harman. These pellets look and burn completly different, but need any info on the black sticky residue, creosote? What if any adjustments may help, I really don't feel like returning these as well. Thanks for any help.

Black and sticky is usually a creosote type stuff.

Burning on low will make the problem worse for sure.

Definately sounds like a brand to stay away from for sure.

Snowy

Sounds like either an isolated problem with the pellets, as Turmans usually get good reviews ( I've burned them and like them a lot!), or a stove issue. Did you start burning these recently? What heat setting?

Now Turman is supposed to be a decent pellet.

I'd suggest that a good cleaning (to remove the black sticky stuff and anything else) and then try them with more air.

Burning on med. I vaccum stove daily and keep the guts clean. Been burning hammer which is also an oak pellet, they burn much cleaner and a little hotter. Would more air help?

Had this happen one time to me, turned out that my burn pot was not seated right, and was not getting enough air mixture, smelled horrible, looked worse. I just scraped off as much of the black gook I could and did a major cleaning. And burnt off the rest of it off. My stove was so gooked up , I had a hard time runnning my heat exchange scraper over the tubes.

stillersnut- What is the date on your bags of Turman? I was surprised at your comments, and frankly a little depressed. I was very happy with them this year and was hoping to find a pellet that was consistent in quality, since I understand they get their raw material from their flooring business. I still have a ton and a half. In looking at my bags, which are clear, there are none that are 2-4" in length. I'm wondering if yours are older bags of Turman and hopefully they solved that problem, or newer and that's what I have to look forward to if I pick up a couple tons in a month or 2. Finally, the only time I had black gooky stuff in my stove is when I accidentally ripped off some of the plastic bag when I was dumping it in the hopper and it melted when it was pushed through the auger. Any chance that could have happened with you?

Newf lover- The ton of turmans I returned was a bad batch, they didn't even look like any Turman pellet I ever burned. My current ton burns well, and I am sure you will continue to have good luck with them. You will definitely know if ya get a crappy ton like the one I returned. I just wish I could find why I am getting the sticky build up, all other brands I burnt this year none caused this problem. By the way I am a Newf owner and have another one on the way, great breed and companions!

stillersnut said:
Newf lover- The ton of turmans I returned was a bad batch, they didn't even look like any Turman pellet I ever burned. My current ton burns well, and I am sure you will continue to have good luck with them. You will definitely know if ya get a crappy ton like the one I returned. I just wish I could find why I am getting the sticky build up, all other brands I burnt this year none caused this problem. By the way I am a Newf owner and have another one on the way, great breed and companions!

If you are getting a black anything build up it is due to poor combustion (a variety of causes for this).

If you have any bad gaskets this can lead to air bypasses (the combustion air doesn't all come through the burn pot).
If your damper is closed too much this leads to too little air through the burn pot.
If your burn pot is not properly in its receptacle it can produce an air bypass.
If any door (ash pan, or firebox) isn't fully shut can produce an air bypass.
Ash restrictions in the venting can reduce air flow through the burn pot.
Something in the air intake can reduce the air flow through the burn pot.
A burn pot crack can also lead to an air bypass.
I would add high moisture content of the fuel, however since pellets go puffy you'd notice this right off.
Failing combustion blower.
Failing controller.

Hope some of this helps.

Franks said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Franks said:
"black and sticky please help" I was expecting something different from this thread.

Such as Franks?

Walking barefoot on a newly tarred parking lot during a hot summers day

Ok, in that case I'll provide a feather pillow. Use your imagination.

stillersnut,

Have you tried anything yet?

SmokeyTheBear said:
Franks said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Franks said:
"black and sticky please help" I was expecting something different from this thread.

Such as Franks?

Walking barefoot on a newly tarred parking lot during a hot summers day

Ok, in that case I'll provide a feather pillow. Use your imagination.

stillersnut,

Have tried anything yet?

Adorable! The China stove guy wants me tarred and feathered!

Franks said:
I had a girlfriend that matched that description...

krooser said:

Finally this thread goes where I originally expected it to :coolgrin:

krooser said:
Franks said:

Amazing what a little soap and water will do, huh?

slow computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.