Black Locust score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blujacket

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2008
West Carrollton,Ohio
When it rains it pours. Love the Spring time scrounging :)

Attachments

• 20130516_181401.JPG
    20130516_181401.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 148
Ah, love the heat, hate the smell of locust burning.

nice score!

Good looking load there. Never very fond of the smell either, but I have enjoyed its heat.

Always love splitting and burning Black Locust, cant say I ever smelled it burned though.

Name change? Black Jack-it? >>

I got 2 cords of BL about 2 years ago for $80 already split. Love it and use it only on long cold night. Took me awhile to figure out what it was - it's not native out here.

Took me awhile to figure out what it was - it's not native out here.
Natural range is not very large but it was widely used as an ornamental (cool-looking leaves) and for erosion control on strip-mine land. There's a lot around here but none on our property...
BL range.jpg

Nice score, blu!!

you know how I feel about locust.....;)
And I agree, when splitting it smells like olives with pimentos....I love olives with pimentos....
I was thinking about changing my handle from Scotty Overkill to Hocus Locust....but I'm an overkiller from WAAAY back....so I'll have to keep my handle.....

Nice score, blu!!

I was thinking about changing my handle from Scotty Overkill to Hocus Locust....but I'm an overkiller from WAAAY back....so I'll have to keep my handle.....

Thanks Hocus, I mean Scotty...lol... Going back for more tonight if the rain holds off ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Nice load.
Truck always rides smother after loaded with some primo wood .
Bark might come off easy if it was just cut. ;)

Reactions: blujacket
Ah Locust....Smells like warm spirit.

We are loaded with Black Locust in Central NJ. Don't see that on the map, but it is all over. Burning BL keeps the house nice and warm. Good thing because if you were enticed to go outside while burning it, you would be looking for the dumpster that is on fire.

When bucking and splitting, the smell seems to be coming from under the bark. A lot of my BL stash has no bark so maybe won't stink as bad when burning?

Oh Ya :) bring It home,split it,stack it, burn it :cool:

Smells like a garbage fire the entire time it is the stove. Great wood-stove firewood, but wouldn't make a good firepit or fireplace additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.