Black paint match for DuraVent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ToastyInDE

Apr 20, 2019
Northern Delaware
I recently had my stove installed with a DuraVent double walled telescoping stove pipe. There were some nicks and scratches in the pipe after installation and I had an old can of black Rustoleum high temp spray paint laying around so I thought I'd try to cover them up. Well, I should've left well enough alone because the paint dried grey and it looks like crap. Thankfully I tested it on a section of the pipe in the back of the stove so it's mostly (though not completely) out of view.

I'd like to fix this and am wondering if anyone knows of a good brand of high-temp paint that is a good match for black DuraVent.

Thanks.

I recently had my stove installed with a DuraVent double walled telescoping stove pipe. There were some nicks and scratches in the pipe after installation and I had an old can of black Rustoleum high temp spray paint laying around so I thought I'd try to cover them up. Well, I should've left well enough alone because the paint dried grey and it looks like crap. Thankfully I tested it on a section of the pipe in the back of the stove so it's mostly (though not completely) out of view.

I'd like to fix this and am wondering if anyone knows of a good brand of high-temp paint that is a good match for black DuraVent.

Thanks.
I would try stove Brite or aw Perkins paint. Probably satin not flat and I would paint the whole pipe.

You’ll need to paint the whole pipe now so you can choose a paint that is readily available.

Just yesterday I did the same thing as you. Painted one section of pipe (the little 6” appliance adapter)with rustoleum but my duravent telescopic section right above is the original paint. The rust oleum color is pretty close to the stove color so I’m okay with it.

If all else fails, replacing the telescopic section was like 150$ and easily replaced.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Satin Stove Bright is what matches. They used to offer Stove Bright in Dura-vent touch up. Dura vent switched to satin and they no longer offer the touch up. It didn’t match perfectly, neither does satin. It’s really close though.

Give them a call and ask. Many years ago Simpson DuraVent pipe switched from an acetone high temp paint to a lacquer based high-temp paint on their double-wall. I was one of the unlucky ones to get that pipe. After installing I touched up a couple areas with Stove Brite Satin Black. To my horror within a couple hours the areas of touch up started wrinkling horribly. The acetone was dissolving the lacquer paint. DuraTech support told me I should have used Krylon, even though the stove dealer supplied me with the Stove Brite. Now I call their support line and verify what paint to use.

Give them a call and ask. Many years ago Simpson DuraVent pipe switched from an acetone high temp paint to a lacquer based high-temp paint on their double-wall. I was one of the unlucky ones to get that pipe. After installing I touched up a couple areas with Stove Brite Satin Black. To my horror within a couple hours the areas of touch up started wrinkling horribly. The acetone was dissolving the lacquer paint. DuraTech support told me I should have used Krylon, even though the stove dealer supplied me with the Stove Brite. Now I call their support line and verify what paint to use.
It’s weird that happened to you. I repaint all types and ages of stovepipe all the time, I’ve never seen this happen with stove bright. When you first spray it some clear liquid comes out and it will make a mess. You’ve got to spray it at something you don’t care about to clear the nozzle. Maybe that’s what happened.?

I've sprayed a lot with Stove Brite. It's pretty predictable. This was totally surprising. The folks at DuraVent knew what happened. This was in 2006, so it may have just been with last runs of Simpson's DVL.

It’s weird that happened to you. I repaint all types and ages of stovepipe all the time, I’ve never seen this happen with stove bright. When you first spray it some clear liquid comes out and it will make a mess. You’ve got to spray it at something you don’t care about to clear the nozzle. Maybe that’s what happened.?
I have had it happen a few times. Allot of ventis stuff is that way but not the stove pipe