Black walnut heartwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spuldup

Nov 1, 2022
On Saturday my neighbor came over with his KX080 offering to pull out stumps from my yard for free. The ground was nicely frozen for possibly the last time this winter. So my weekend plans changed to say the least. I had about 7 stumps to take out and 3 more then were attached to trees. I cut down the 3 trees while he worked on the stumps. One of the trees was a black walnut that had this interesting heartwood. Almost wish I'd had had it made into boards. The base was only 16" or 18" though. I have cut down a few other walnuts but never seem it this dark. In person it looked darker tthan the photo. Splits revealed beautiful curly grain. Is this a common thing?

IMG_20230218_141228177.jpg

I would say it is a little darker than normal.

The curly grain in stumps is often used by wood turners to make beautiful bowls and vases. I have a burl from a cherry tree that I am going to give it a try with...

I had some fresh walnut recently that was as dark. But straight grain