Blaze King Ashford or Vermont Castings Defiant Flexburn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonNH

Jun 28, 2015
New Hampshire
Looking to buy my first wood stove! I have a newer home, built 2009, it is 1200-1500 sqft split level with all living quarters on one floor. I would put the stove on the same floor. The winters here in New England can get rather cold and oil heating is burning a hole in my pocket. We are looking into either the Blaze King Ashford 20 or 30 or Vermont Castings Defiant Flexburn. The Defiant is the less expensive option by $300-$600 and my wife likes the look of it better, but I have yet to find a negative review for anything Blaze King. Suggestions welcome!

Ashford 30 gets my vote.

Ashford 30! Compare it to the 20 and you will see why there is no reason to pick the 20 if you have room for the 30.

I can't say anything about the VC from personal experience but a quick search should show many reasons to stay away from this once giant in the stove industry.

You have rigged the poles in favor of the 20 though;)

I don't, but I have raised ranch 1600sf roughly in ct. Right now I am using cape cod insert to heat upstairs. Now when my daughter is getting older and likes to play downstairs I need a source of heat downstairs. If I will end up putting a stove downstairs it will be Ashford 30.

Tarzan thanks for post. Yeah I know about the poll, but cannot fix it. :( I was bummed about it. The 20 is cheaper so maybe subconsciously...

Tarzan thanks for post. Yeah I know about the poll, but cannot fix it. :( I was bummed about it. The 20 is cheaper so maybe subconsciously...

Lol! Lower cost is allways enticing. A 1400sq ft split level in New England. The 30 would be the perfect fit IMO. It can be dialed down to match the low heat output of the 20, maybe even lower. Plus you get a bigger tank for less fill ups and more horse power for the cold nights.

Reactions: JasonNH
The Defiant is a beautiful stove. What else can I say....., a beautiful stove.

Do a search on its reputation....

Reactions: webby3650
The Ashford 30 heats my 1400 sq ft just fine. I usually load it once a day until it is zero or lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.