Blaze King Cat Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I'm courious as to what the catalyst combuster brand/material is in your Blaze King woodstove. Is it ceramic or stainless steel? What kind of life have you been getting out of your cat and who makes it.

Thanks!
Bill

Mines ceramic..new stove last Oct.
In a week or so I'm going to pull it for a inspection and cleaning..I'll let you know what I find.
I feel I'm losing some efficiency.. but it might just be in my head though..lol.
I did abuse it a few times ..maybe even more then a few times..flame infringement. Not so seasoned wood but not to bad 20-25% MC.
I'm really liking it.

Im on my second year, its ceramic, theres a small area (4 squares) that are marred, probably flame infringement also. It still lights up good and seems to work ok. I think the cats are guaranteed for 6 years pro rated with the first two years 100%, then down 20% per year til you reach six years.

yr 5...35+ cords...30 of it pine....Ceramic by sudie-fed... Stainless CATs where discontinued from BK due to plugging as per BK industries.

How can one tell if their cat is ceramic? New 2011 Blaze King. thanks

Ceramic. I bought my stove slightly used, it had a few months of sub prime fuel go through it given the creosote caked firebox it was delivered with. I've run 18 cord through it and it lights right off every time. I haven't done anything other than a light brush of the front.

Will that creosote burn off when you burn it correctly? Thanks

I scraped it down with a putty knife to get the big stuff off and then burned a hot fire with dry wood. No creosote since. I wish I had taken pictures of it for a how not to burn a king sticky. The original owners returned it to the dealer because the stove "didn't put out any heat".

Just before I purchased the King,a stove shop almost swayed me to a PE Summit citing Blaze kings don't put out much heat,hope he was lying.

bogydave said:
Thread here with pictures. :
Mine plugged, was SS since new, now using ceramic & have SS as a back up.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/70546/

WOW! That's one clogged cat! My ceramic cat that I just replaced with a SS cat on my Woodstock Keystone had very little ash build-up - almost zero. I think the death of my cat was a combo of a lemon cat and thermal shock. I also cleaned my cat between 4 and 6 weeks of use. I'll definately keep a closer eye on the SS cat.

Thanks,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.