Blaze King models

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scott.robot

Mar 28, 2023
Wisconsin
Hi, I'm new here. I found a Blaze King stove in my area for $600. I'm not sure what to look for in terms of problems, wear-and-tear, etc. I also don't know how to dtermine which model it is. Any pointers? Thanks!

Screenshot_20230328_124829_Facebook.jpg

Yikes. Two different wood door handles that they didn't even mask off before rattle canning it with who knows what over the top of rust. Is that door melted/bent damaged?

I would not be interested but some folks seemed to like the really old ones.

Five holes in pedestal means it's a King model. The holes on the side of the door means it was a jet air. I need photo of stove top and right hand side to help further.

Reactions: Ashful
Decades old. From the later 1900s.

1977-198?. Need more images to be certain.

it's still a pain to get to. And they cancel flights there first in inclement weather (rather than JFK flights) b/c of their mostly smaller planes.
I avoid it like the plague.

Reactions: kborndale
Like the plague? Really? Ten times out of ten, I'd take La Guardia over the plague!

Reactions: fbelec
I'm not saying it is the plague, just that I avoid it similarly...

Hi, I'm new here. I found a Blaze King stove in my area for $600. I'm not sure what to look for in terms of problems, wear-and-tear, etc. I also don't know how to dtermine which model it is. Any pointers? Thanks!

View attachment 311511
Insurance underwriter from WI here- just spent about an hour trying to figure out what model wood stove was sent to me for review. Knew it was a Blaze King just wasn’t sure the model— think what you have here is most likely a KTJ-302 from the early 1980s. K=King T= Top Vent J=Jet Air Model. Thinking 302 because no top heat exchanger. I’m not an expert, just noticed you didn’t get a “best guess” and figured I’d share mine— hard to upload more pics when the seller only posts so many online :) This one is missing the ceramic inserts just like the one I’m reviewing- really pretty units when they’re in good shape with the ceramic inserts! Discontinued Manuals can be found on Blaze King website.

As far as what it’s worth, lol “a couple hundred bucks” might not cut it considering everyone selling anything online things something they bought in the 80s is somehow now worth 5x what they paid for it because “inflation”. Apparently things don’t depreciate anymore. If I was you, I’d offer them $200 & tops I’d pay is $300 due to condition- missing ceramics, needs exterior restoration (undo their spray paint mess), handles are not original, etc.

Hope this helps!

Insurance underwriter from WI here- just spent about an hour trying to figure out what model wood stove was sent to me for review. Knew it was a Blaze King just wasn’t sure the model— think what you have here is most likely a KTJ-302 from the early 1980s. K=King T= Top Vent J=Jet Air Model. Thinking 302 because no top heat exchanger. I’m not an expert, just noticed you didn’t get a “best guess” and figured I’d share mine— hard to upload more pics when the seller only posts so many online :) This one is missing the ceramic inserts just like the one I’m reviewing- really pretty units when they’re in good shape with the ceramic inserts! Discontinued Manuals can be found on Blaze King website.

As far as what it’s worth, lol “a couple hundred bucks” might not cut it considering everyone selling anything online things something they bought in the 80s is somehow now worth 5x what they paid for it because “inflation”. Apparently things don’t depreciate anymore. If I was you, I’d offer them $200 & tops I’d pay is $300 due to condition- missing ceramics, needs exterior restoration (undo their spray paint mess), handles are not original, etc.

Hope this helps!
Welcome KJayDub. We see a lot of insurance related wood stove issues pop up in the Classics forum. Your insight is appreciated.

Reactions: KJayDub

Hope this helps!
The differences between early models can be extremely difficult to discern. Often the changes are internal and can affect clearances.

I'd asked for more images. In the absence of more images, it is King model, but solid drop down doors were used up to and including OM7 emissions tested units, grandfathered by EPA.

It could be a KE model. If the door was open and an image of the top and right hand side were provided, it could be narrowed down a bit more.

It is a King. It is a top vent. Other than that who knows?

You're on the right track. Perhaps OP will post images.

BKVP